Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Gretschbucker "clarity" Adjustment

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by megabutter, May 13, 2011.

1. spooky

spooky Gretschie

Oct 27, 2010
    space
    The best ajustment I have heard is...

Take out a total of 6 pole pieces per pickup.

It seems the best for the bridge is take out the 3 closest to the bridge on your low E,A,D. And the 3 furthest from the bridge on your high G,B,E. Strings. Still hum cancelling, but gives it a brighter sound.

The neck 6 to take out really is up to the player.

2. Hitonedaddyo

Hitonedaddyo Gretschie

A wise guy!?

Good one tavo!

3. Nerrad

Nerrad Gretschie

Jun 29, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    Just did this last night and I loved it. At first I thought there was a little more bass in it but it was good once I got it perfect. I haven't yet been able to crank it up to where my amp really comes alive, but I'm impressed so far.

4. Roosto

Roosto Gretschie

Yeah, it pleasantly surprises you.

5. Astrolux

Astrolux Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    mexico
    Take the screw out completely from the top of the pickup?

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I just tried this mod on my 5120 with standard G-buckers, and am nicely surprised by the improvement over stock settings. There seems a noticeable difference now between neck and bridge pups; before they sounded pretty similar to each other. I'm only using a little 30w tranny amp, but there's a bigger growl with the overdrive, and the clear setting seems nice and twangy. Just waiting for my s/s Compton now.

7. Nerrad

Nerrad Gretschie

Jun 29, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    Jammed with my band yesterday for the first time since doing this adjustment and I must say, the adjustment improves this SO much. This was the first time ive had the amp turned up a bunch and wow this is great. Makes me not want to spend the money on some surf 90s right now

8. cybermgk

cybermgk Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    Grayslake, Il
    BTW,

Works on Jets with Blacktop Filters as well. Tried both this, and the TV Jones staggered pole. Like this adjustment much better.

9. SoliDeoGloria

SoliDeoGloria Electromatic

Dec 26, 2010
    NC
    just another pleased customer here. thanks a ton.

AWESOME THREAD BUMP FTW!!!!!

10. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Durham, NC
    Loving this adjustment on the neck pup of my Jet! I nearly ditched the stock buckers before reading this.

11. BrandonT

BrandonT Electromatic

May 30, 2012
    New York
    /bump

Much thanks to megabutter, and the input of the members.

The stock g-buckers killed all desire to play my 5120. I raised the pickups to no avail. Then I got the idea to possibly raise the poles. and a google search brought me right here!

I personally find the g-buckers not muddy, but very flat sounding. No punch, bite, or articulation at all. I raised the poles on the bridge pup on the first 4 strings only, and instantly found a lot more clarity! When I link my keeley compressor, I got that snappy articulation I'm looking for. Until I can part with some bucks for a pair of tv jones classics, this will certainly do. So props to megabutter!

/side question re: tv jones. My only point of reference is listening to Setzer on youtube. Is it a fair description to say that tv jones pups sound very slightly clipped (but not distorted), and the highs sound "snappy" or compressed? I'm really chasing that tone.

In the meantime, I'll experiment a bit more, and probably raise the poles as high as possible, hehe. For the first time, I'm really digging the tone improvement. The poor man's upgrade, but it works! Thanks again!

If/when I nail Setzer's Sleepwalk, I'll post it!

12. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Durham, NC
    wow, resurrection thread!

as an update, I finally improved the clarity on my gretsch-buckers by swapping 'em out for TV Jones classics ;)

13. BrandonT

BrandonT Electromatic

May 30, 2012
    New York
    Buzzkill, hehe. Congrats. Someday I'll be saying the same, but in the meantime, I'm really enjoying this new tone.

Did you install the TV Jones yourself, or a tech do it? If you paid a tech, do you mind my asking how much it cost? I live in NYC, where everything costs a lot more, so I'm looking ahead to how much this may cost me. Also, did you change any of the pots? I read somewhere that a pot(s) should be swapped for more gain or something. I'm pretty much gear-stupid, so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. TIA!

14. LATS

LATS Country Gent

Jan 3, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Two things you should do before making a final decision on the G-buckers:

• Swap out the bridge for a solid one-piece unit. My personal favourite is the one made by Compton, but there's love hereabouts for the Tru-Arc as well. This one mod alone can bring out so much of what any pickup has to offer, that you may find the TVJ swap becomes less urgent. And when you finally do the swap, a Compton bridge will bring out the best of those, too.
    • Get a Nocturne Atomic Brain preamp pedal. This pedal overcomes the signal losses associated with your cable, and also enhances your picking dynamics in ways that really makes your guitar sing! This pedal was designed for use with DynaSonic single coil pickups, but I can vouch for beautiful, toneful things happening with any guitar I plugged into it.

15. BrandonT

BrandonT Electromatic

May 30, 2012
    New York
    Hey LATS. Yeah, you suggested a bridge swap to me at GF (guess who, lol ;) ). Because of the tone problems I was having, I was somewhat unsure about spending $$ solely for a bridge swap; also, I'm just a tad nervous about not having the ability to make individual intonation adjustments w/out moveable saddles. I have to say, the stock bridge bites the big one. Sooo, that's ANOTHER cost I have to factor in (I was also looking to put a Bigsby on my Telly Deluxe).

I really don't want to spend money on another pedal. Just before, I raised the poles a bit higher, and, coupled with my Keeley compressor, I'm getting the snappy articulation I'm pretty happy with. I've yet to play with the neck pup poles. I was thinking of putting up a sound clip just to get some outside input to make sure I'm not imagining things.

Thanks for the input, as always.

16. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Durham, NC
    my bad :cool:

I got the set for $170 so I landed a pretty sweet deal.

I did do the swap myself, but I do all of my guitar work so it was pretty routine. I left the rest of the electronics because there was nothing wrong with them and they sounded just fine. All the right values in there and it was working just fine.

I will say that the g-buckers did sound nice and clear with the adjustment, but in the end they just didn't have enough meat for me.

I will also say that the bridge swap made as much difference as the pups. Compton FTW!

17. BrandonT

BrandonT Electromatic

May 30, 2012
    New York
    Haha, that's just envy talking. Wow, $170 for a set? Shortly after I got my 5120 (mint, off ebay for $570 with HSC), I started doing research, and everything was coming up "TV Jones" and I found a reputable online seller that was selling a set of Classics for about $150, used. I was still doing research on the various types of TV's there were, so I had to let that one go. Now, I know I want the Classics.

LATS had suggested a Compton to me in another forum. Now, I'm looking at the various tonal qualities- steel, aluminum...?? Decisions, decisions... Still, I'm VERY happy with the change in tone with the "clarity" adjustment. I have over 10 guitars I'm constantly tweaking in one way or another, so I'll enjoy my 5120 as is for now. I really want a Bigsby for my Tele '72 Deluxe RI. But I have Gretch-itis now, so I think I'll be playing the Gretsch for a good bit.

I just may swap the bridge for now to see how well it effects the tone (good, I'm sure).

Thanks for the response. I don't have the nerve to do any work on my guitars that involve electronics, and the youtube vid I saw on doing a pup swap looked far too daunting for me. Congrats again on your TVJ's! There should be a drool emoticon....;)

18. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I did the pupswap and I've got 10 thumbs ( which explains the trouble I have with travis picking!). Take your time, get everything you need before you start. and work with the mantra "simply take the old ones out and put the new ones there instead".

Plus one for Stainless Steel on the Compton. You might want to think about a 2" string spacing as it gets the strings right over the poles, especially if you decide to go with Gretsch Filtertrons. TVJ's are ok with the stock spacing, as they are made with the poles in different places to match the strings.

19. BrandonT

BrandonT Electromatic

May 30, 2012
    New York
    I believe I'm capable of doing the pup swap, but lack the patience. So, I'd rather have a tech do the pup swap for me, if/when that time comes.

I've decided to get a steel Compton bridge (with a bit of nudging from my online gear guru friend LATS). I'll be taking measurements this weekend.

Has anyone changed their bridge base? The stock base is a horrible fit on the body. If I bend a string hard enough, the bridge MOVES. I'd think the lack of full contact of base to body effects tone/sustain. Anyway, I assume someone here has swapped their base as well. Can anyone vouch for Darren Riley http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1879 ?

Thanks for the input all, and thanks LATS, for nudging me in the right direction as usual. If I could, I'd go out and buy the bridge at a store right now.

While I'm here, any opinions on these pups? http://www.darrenriley.com/Gretschparts.htm

Apologies if I'm going off-topic; if necessary, I'll start a thread in the proper area.

20. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Stick down some fine sandpaper on the top face and gently rub the base back and forth to contour the base to match the top. Then use violin or cello rosin on the base to make it grippy; the string pressure will keep it in place.