Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Gretschbucker "clarity" Adjustment

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by megabutter, May 13, 2011.

1. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    So, not new really as I think the idea for this was originally posted on GDP and based on Fenders wide range p/u. Then one of our super cool members brought it here. Although I have added a little spin.

I couldn't remember exactly what was done, but remembered the basic idea of it while setting up a 5120. So, I looked at how Strat and Tele bridge p/u's are angled and adjusted three of the pole piece screws up on one side and the three opposite ones on the other coil. I put the other 6 pole pieces flush with the bobbin top. Thus simulating and angled single coil...sort of.

I did the opposite on the neck pick up thinking it would beef up the trebles and have not as boomy bass side strings.

Result on 3 electromatics: much greater clarity and articulation!! I think this will become standard issue for me on Gretschbuckers.

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

borjagandia00 likes this.
  2. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Little Falls,MN
    Interesting, this is the first that I've seen it done this way. Most of the time the standard is lower the pup and raise the poles, the fine tune. If this works for you great!! Best of luck!

3. cgreg129

cgreg129 Electromatic

Mar 3, 2011
    massachusetts
    Would love to hear if anyone else has tried this.....I'm curious as to results ....thanks

4. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Synchromatic

Mar 15, 2009
    Magdalena, NM, US
    megabutter, do you make the combined radius of the offset poles match the string radius?

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Cool mod, you're basicly mimicking the smaller fluxfield of a single coil...
    Humor yourself... and try reversing the polepiece-pattern or adjusting one row of bobbin-polepieces up, the other one down... and ear if you can tell.

6. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    J, after stringing it up I adjusted the pole pieces by ear for even pull.

Richochet, I might just do that! Fun!

Guys with Gretschbuckers, seriously take you 5 minutes. I was really impressed. Worth trying out.

Yeah, mimicking the field of a pbass style single coil a bit.

7. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    That's a cool variation on the theme!
    I read about someone here who screwed th polepieces down on one entire row per pickup. But I hadn't seen this one before.:)

8. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    You have done the seemingly impossible MB.

9. Dirtymug666

Dirtymug666 Synchromatic

Mar 10, 2011
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    Oooooooo I'm excited to try this!!!

10. twinscrewcaddy

twinscrewcaddy Electromatic

Apr 19, 2011
    central, PA
    So in the end, how far are the poles from the strings? And how far is the body of the pups from the springs? Maybe a side elevation and azimuth view drawing would help?! ;)

11. Drewgrass

Drewgrass Country Gent

Dec 20, 2009
    Teesside ENGLAND
    Thanks MB!
    This actually worked better for me than the usual staggered pole set-up.

12. canadacold

canadacold Electromatic

Apr 5, 2011
    Edmonton, Canada
    I tried this a while back, but I screwed the poles out even more. It really helped get some of the muddiness out. It helped delay my upgrading to filtertrons but ultimately I just couldn't get the sound I was looking for with the Gbuckers. However, it was fun to play with the pole pieces and pickup heights. And it's easy to do.

13. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    I started by bringing all the "up" pole pieces up enough that the bottom of the head started to be visable. The "down" pole pieces I went top rim of the screw level with the black cover.

Then, holding the last fret down I set the P/U's 1/8 away from the string (approx). The high side a little closer. Then I adjusted to "taste".

Again, an idea I saw on a post a while back. I think my twist is which poles are up on the bridge p/u.

Glad it worked out Drewgrass!!

14. jdr1014

jdr1014 Synchromatic

Apr 16, 2009
    Maine
    I did the same approach on a 5122 awhile back with great results. The other low cost improvements were to add an AL Compton bridge and replaced the 0.047 tone cap with a 0.022. The whole package was a nice improvement.

BlueTwango likes this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I thought the best way to adjust the pkup tone on an electromatic was replace the pickups w/ tvjones... nyuk nyuk

[​IMG]

16. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    Oh, a real wiseguy, scheeeee. Bubs a reg'ler comedi-An, huh, Knuckles?

17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    waaaadeeee deeeeee!!!

[​IMG]

18. Dirtymug666

Dirtymug666 Synchromatic

Mar 10, 2011
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    I finally got around to trying this out and I'm thrilled with the results. On the neck pickup anyway. It gave me very close to the tone I've always wanted. The bridge pickup not so much. I've still got a few things to try before I give up on it, but I'm wanting something a little more punchy and polished (supertron maybe?) but the neck pickup is alive for the first time.

19. paratus

paratus Electromatic

Apr 20, 2011
    USA
    Sheesh, I thought, what the heck, I will try it before I order the TV Jones Classics...I have to admit there is more clarity and goodness, especially on the bridge pup. I think I will hold off on new pups and get a Compton instead,

20. Henrytwang

Henrytwang Synchromatic

Feb 28, 2010
    teignmouth uk
    Having seen this thread last night I thought I'd try the idea out on my 2008 Electromatic Double Jet which has the dreaded mini humbuckers. I managed to brighten up the sound quite a bit by changing the tone cap to a 0.022 orange drop one but I must say that using the polepiece set up detailed in this thread has really cleaned up the tone. I think that the improvement is quite staggering. I guess that I'll just have find a new place for the pair of Filtertrons I was about to put on this guitar.