GRETSCH TIM ARMSTRONG OPINIONS??

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by 53Rockets, Apr 12, 2019.

1. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thoughts on the T.A? I've found lots of love/hate about the aesthetics....can anyone chime in on price point comparisons of build quality, tone, feel etc? As a lefty looking for a bigger body Gretsch, it's price (used) is attractive. And i actually do like Rancid, although not enough to be a selling point. Should i just go with a 5420?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  2. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm not a lefty, but I have a TA 5190. I love it. I've also got a 5420 (older version) and a 6120, and I find myself playing the Tim Armstrong the most. I didn't even know about Rancid when I found the guitar used in a little shop in San Jose that caters to Mariachi and Banda musicians. It was cheap so I got it. The Blacktops that were in it were great, but when one of them went from sputtering to failure I replaced them withTV Classics. The guitar sounds great and it's built like a battleship. I've read that it's a copy of Tim Armstrong's 1971 Country Club but I've never been able to play a Country Club to compare. I found out about Rancid after I bought the guitar and looked into who Tim Armstrong is. I decided I like some of his solo stuff and some of Rancid's music, but there is no way this guitar is limited to punk. I'm playing my faux version of Chet Atkins stuff and it sounds great, and sometimes I'll bash out Ramones songs and it sounds good too. I like the matte finish.

3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I think they look boss!
    If I got one, I’d have to add a gold bigsby and some gold TVJ Filtertrons though.

4. craigh

craigh Electromatic

Mar 25, 2019
    MD
    I have a lefty Tim Armstrong also & I've been thinking of putting a Bigsby on also & buffing the finish.

5. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I really like the matte finish, but i'm not a fan of gold hardware. How do the pickups compare to hs filtertrons?

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Get the pink one.

Merc likes this.
  7. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I remember someone here buffed one up and it looked Boss to me. But of course you could leave it matte too.

8. Years back i played one. I thought it played very well, and had a ok setup in the store. With a little tweaking would have played great. At the time only 5120 series we’re out, and I thought it was a better guitar than those. Haven’t played one since the 5420’s came out, but i didnt feel a remarkable difference between those and the 5120’s. The black looked sharp. I have seen the polished up version. It seems you have to polish it all the time to keep it that way. If it were priced lower, i would have one as not many gretsch hollow bodies come without a bigsby.

9. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Electromatic

Mar 13, 2016
    Texas Panhandle
    I think this model is the only Electromatic with a zero fret. If they still made the TA in Man Salmon I'd likely have one!

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi 53Rockets,

There's a Lefty one in my local shop, a matte and gold one, in serious need of TLC. She's there for more than 2 years (in consignment, almost forgotten, at the back of the shop) and I'm probably the only potential customer, but the seller asks from it a completely irrealistic price, I mean : more than a brand new G5420LH. Not attractive...

If it was the cost of a G5220LH, I'd consider buying it, repiar it, refinish it, and change all the hardware. Yes : I hate matte black, I hate gold... You see the picture : I would acquire it as a mod platform for a Improbable Custom Lefty Gretsch release.

The building quality on this guitar is the one of the Electromatics series of the era, not more, not less. One difference with the G5420 though : the soundpost is replaced by a trestle bracing, making this guitar heavier than the G5420, and probably more reluctant to howling at high volume.

I had a G5420 1st series of the same era - now sold stupidly - and it was a good guitar too :

[​IMG]

A+!

Jena and 53Rockets like this.
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I had the man salmon and was drawn to it because of the large club size body. I had to replace the licensed bigsby because they are,,, well, crap. Die Cast metal is very brittle and mine cracked badly. The original Bigsby is sand cast and built to last. The pickups are not bad at all and probably perfect if you plan to always play w a dirty amp and/or distortion. I replaced mine w P-90s. The only superficial thing I did was burnish off the "electromatic" on the headstock and hand rub the satin finish w a wet sand of 1200 grit and polish, to give the guitar a french polished or bowling ball finish. I ended up selling it w a cadillac tailpiece for a premium :) Would I get another one over one of the newer electromatics? Yes and I'd leave the pickups but swap in 1meg pots and keep a real B-6 on it. man salmon.jpg

12. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida

Very sharp looking. I like the look of the G tailpiece and the black p-90’s with the Salmon

13. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    You burnished off the “electromatic”?
    What did you use to accomplish this?

14. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Excellent job all around. I think that "G" tailpiece would have really complimented the original pickups, but the P90's must have been sweet in that guitar.

15. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    There's a g5191bk lefty close to me here in Vancouver.
    960.00 Canadian including case.
    Been up for awhile.

16. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Is it a kijiji listing?

17. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
  18. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I’ve owned a few! Some might remember my pink Cadillac pychobilly painted version?

53Rockets and pmac11 like this.
  19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Welcome back Rob!

20. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Great to b back on, had a rough go at it , but things are looking up, with that and this new phone I’m back for the foreseeable future

pmac11 and Uncle Daddy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice