Gretsch Thru Marshall...anyone else?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by pmac11, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    but reckless :)
    which Mesa amps, which Egnaters?
    Mesa make about 20 amps that do 5 or 10 watts.
    Egnater make 4 at least.
    Other companies make many also.

Have you actually played any of them?

2. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Electromatic

Jul 22, 2019
    Canada
    I have.

Just not a fan of the sounds, as I said before.

3. slickfaster

slickfaster Electromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    image.jpg I have a couple RedBear mk60 half stacks that were somewhat of a JCM800 clone. One cab has 30w Celestions and the other 75w. Lots of sonic fun/ feed back. With a little push from a TS it’s AC/DC meets TheCult.

pmac11 likes this.
  4. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I don't play a Marshall,
    Some of the Marshall guys left and created Blackstar. I play through an HT Club 40. I play my Electro G5230 through it. I play it clean or drive it hard. It's a rockin amp. My opinion is Grestsch guitars can do anything. Even the Hard Marshally, Plexi, Blackstar stuff. I really enjoy my Gretsch dirty or clean through Blackstar and I don't just mean AC/DC stuff. It can do anything. IMHO.

pmac11 likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, I must confess that I do not have much consideration for Marshall post-JCM800 and MESA post-MKII amps eras... Maybe because I saw a number of them coming in for repair ? o_O

That said, I don't like their agressive tone and questionable cleans.... Maybe because I don't like Metal and AC/DC orientated-styled music ? o_O

My venerable 1980 Boogie MKIIA (S/N° 4915) offers deep clean and reverb tones, along with smooth sustaining-for-days leads à la Santana. Nothing to do with later Boogies, on which I never could duplicate the tone of my MKIIA... And of course Gretsch are fine :cool: with this amp (see the HS FT pickups below) :

[​IMG]

If I had to own a Marshall (in addition of my small Class 5) , it would be a JCM800 model 4210 :

[​IMG]

I played one at home and live with my 1980 ES-335TD many years ago, and it was able to give the overdrive and clean tones I expected... Sure it would be fine with any Gretsch ! :cool:

A+!

pmac11 and j.s.c like this.
  6. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Hilos pickups, aren't they?
    Thus low output pickups inside hi gain machines... could be revelation.

7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    A bit late to the post but I do agree with the view on Marshall cleans, I have a JCM800 that runs into a 2x12 cabinet with V30's and I think the cleans are great, yes not a fender as others have said but I rate it as a very versatile amp, sounds good with the gretschs and schecters.
    I do plan on getting a smaller combo in future as a main amp due to not wanting to lug a head and cabinet around, ideally prob an AC30 as I can't see the point in owning 2 of the same thing, but yeah I am a marshall fan.

Waxhead and pmac11 like this.
  8. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Before you guys dis on Fender’s inability to do heavy gain .. they may have just succeeded in going head to head with Marshall in a similar 1x 12 combo . Check out the new Fender 30r. On YouTube there is a comparison with aDSL40cr.. in my opinion and others the Fender sounds a bit better and I am a big Marshall fan .

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hey Stefan

Vox AC30C2 weighs 71 pounds so you won't save your back with them :)
    Lot's of other great tube amps around now that are light weight though.

I'm an ex JCM800 owner and loved that amp but moved to Mesa Boogie for lighter weight and more versatility. I got an MI Audio super crunchbox pedal to satisfy my love for Marshall overdrive/distortion and it does almost as good a job for me through superlative Mesa Boogie cleans :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok Mike the Fender 30r is worth testing out.
    Youtube videos are useless for tone comparisons imo but I'm interested to find out if Fender really have made their first ever amp with good distortion.
    So I'll try to find one for a live test :)

pmac11 and Charlie westside like this.
  11. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I compare the ability of Fenders to be gainy to the ability of Marshall to be clean... not better, just different. :)
    I love the growl of a dimed Princeton or a Deluxe, it's just another kind of overdrive compared to Marshall's grind.
    As the Plexi clean is a different (more mid oriented, less deep) than the richer Fender clean.

12. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    That's what I do with my Rally into my Hiwatt (it's a 2 inputs 80s Biacrown so it has a bit more gain than the old 70s amps), with very good results, but also with Dynas and P90s. The only pickups that sound a bit meh are Filtertrons... at list, my ceramics. Too much growl and too little note separation. I've never been a fan of HB on UK amps though.

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's a good video from Rick Beato on the legend of the Marshall stack :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Can't agree Stiv - I've owned these Fenders and JCM800 :)

If you dime a Princeton to max all you get is light overdrive.
    And where can you dime an 80w Deluxe Reverb - a stadium ??
    And you'll still only get mid overdrive.
    Or if you talking about the recent 22 watt 65 Deluxe reissue then it's got no more overdrive when cranked to 10 than a Princeton.

And then you compare them to a 1970s Plexi's which was just the start of Marshall overdrive. By the 1990's they'd progressed into high gain distortion amps.

Fender have never made a tube amp that does distortion except maybe for this brand new Fender 30r that Mike Schindler just told us about :)

Fender tried full overdrive once with the Supersonic and very few people liked it. I thought it was the worst tube overdrive I've ever heard :)

MikeSchindler, hcsterg and stiv like this.
  15. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, I guess that JCM800 it's the only amp that even those that don't like too much Marshall has owned..:). I owned 2 as well (1 head + cabinet, 1 combo 50w, that has been my 2nd real amp ever, after a SF Twin). I didn't meant to say that overdrive are comparable, Plexis and JCM (I only take the 800 as a comparison. After that, it's all high gain amps and I'm not really a fan.) have a lot more of it on tap fer sure. What I wanted to say was that if you dime a Twin you could obtain an overdrive (you could call it light, I call it growling :)) that, for me, suits some genre (blues, to make an example, but also garage punk, or alternative rock) better than Marshall overdrive, which on the other side couldn't be beaten for hard rock, heavy metal (or everything that has to sound classic rock). Don't forget that Never Mind The Bollocks was dimed SF Fenders. It's just a matter of taste.
    And btw, I'm lucky enough of not having to make a choice: I own an Hiwatt. ;)

Waxhead likes this.
  16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah I know, so heavy, so was going to see if I could find a 1x12 AC30 or an AC30S1. I don't mind the bassbreaker range from fender and that was probably my next choice in all honesty, but going back to marshall, if I could find a DSL20/40C for a good price I wouldn't pass it up.

Have been researching Mesa's since you told me about them waxhead but just a little pricey for what I will use it for, i don't doubt they are worth it, just can't justify it in the near future.

Waxhead likes this.
  17. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    The Fender 30r has El84s but it is voiced much different than an AC30.. has some really great gain also has an effects loop .. it has more presence and warmth than the DsL 40cr.. very versatile

Waxhead likes this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes agree Stiv - but a stadium or pro studios are the only places anyone can dime a Twin so it means nothing. And Sex Pistols used distortion pedals with Fenders and would have sounded much better if they'd used Marshalls instead imo :)

stiv likes this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes Stefan Mesa's are exy in Aust but the best and most versatile amps imo.
    They are super versatile and light weight with long list of innovative features with fantastic tones thru the whole gain range.

I recently sold my Mesa Express 5:50 for A$1500 on Gumtree so you can pick up used one's cheap if you search around.

I already had this Mark V 25 so wasn't using the 5:50 much anymore
    https://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/mark-series/mark-five-25/index.html

But still on Gumtree is a fantastic Mesa TA-30 and cab for A$2000 negotiable
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ama...ta-30-amp-w-transatlantic-1x12-cab/1221403475

TA-30 does fantastic Vox AC 30 and Marshall overdrive tones in one low weight package

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The TA were the first Mesa’s to land my my radar but at the time I couldn’t afford one. Then the TA15 was gone but now we have the mark five 25 or 35 and once again I’m really wanting one but still even those are outside my current budgets.

But Fender did have the bassbreaker amps, I didn’t like along them but there were two that I thought did clean to dirt pretty well.

Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice