Gretsch Thru Marshall...anyone else?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by pmac11, Sep 13, 2019.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I'm loving this DSL15 head I picked up last week. Anyone else running their Gretsch thru a Marshall?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

2. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Electromatic

Jul 22, 2019
    Canada
    Yup. DSL 20 head and an Origin 20 Combo. Love the way it sounds through them.

pmac11 and G5422T like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Just Malcolm and me.

I don't play'm much, but the other amps are very much in the Marshall vein. Most seem capable of either the Plexi or that JCM800 thing.

Lionpotato, Merc, pmac11 and 2 others like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Bet it sounds AWSOME !!

MKunie and pmac11 like this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Guess this counts as a "Marshall". A 10 watt Plexi based head from Cave Valley Amps.

Loving it, and so do my Gretsches. Teles don't count. They sound good through anything. Lol

20190108_151843(1).jpg

6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    It really does. The biggest surprise has been the clean channel. Why does no one ever talk about Marshall cleans? They're epic!

7. reckless toboggan

Jul 22, 2019
    Canada
    It's true.

While maybe not "epic", the cleans are detailed and very pretty. Much better than people think. Right up there with some of the mid-level Fenders. And no one talks about Marshall cleans, actually I do and I get ridiculed for it, then people actually hear it and are shocked. Pushing the Tone Shift button in scoops the mids and gets you even closer to Fender cleans.

On either channel, if you like running drive/OD or distortion pedals, push the tone shift knob in (scoops the mids) as it creates a nice amplifyer foundational EQ for typically mid focussed pedals that seem to be EQ'd to compliment Fender amps.

Now where did I leave that flame retardant suit...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  8. salvatore

salvatore Electromatic

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    Back in the day, I ran my ‘66 Tennessean through a 100 watt SLP with a 4x12 cab on each side of the stage.
    It was truly a revelation.

Echocat23, Lost Shark, G5422T and 2 others like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    We've touched on this before. My theory is people who rely on clean tones generally don't want to be associated with Marshall amps. Also no one has picked up a guitar for the aesthetics. Ever. :rolleyes:

Robbie, G5422T and pmac11 like this.
  10. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I was wondering if it's the other way...Marshall doesn't want to be associated with players who use clean tones. Contradicts their carefully developed image.

G5422T, Waxhead and Merc like this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Nope I sold my JCM800 but still listen to Malcolm Young every week playing one of THE best guitar tones in the history of rock :)

Lost Shark, pmac11 and Lionpotato like this.
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I run my Gretsch through my Silver Jubilee. Crunches like AC/DC. Great hard rock power chords.

Defib Tim, pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes agree - Fender and Vox have historically had the big reputation on cleans basically cos that's all they've got. Fender overdrive is ***** imo. They just can't do it and you have to crank a Vox AC to the max with top boost to get any decent overdrive out of it.

Marshall cleans were always very good imo but they needed a point of difference from Fender and Vox. They had that with the classic Marshall overdrive which developed into great high gain distortion.

pmac11 likes this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Haha maybe... Hendrix, SRV and a few others relied heavily on clean tones and made use of Marshalls, at one time or other. What self respecting company would not want to be part of(or lay claim to) that legacy?

DHart and pmac11 like this.
  15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    All true. But when you think of those two, do you envision their amps or the guitars they played? Lots of Fender vibe there..

16. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    I had a Marshall DSL 5C for home playng. I sold it because the sound of my G5422 was really bad with it (quite impossible to find a good clean tone using Blacktops and DSL5). Now I use a Fender Blues Jr and I'm really happy with the sound I've found. I must admit that I've always looked for a good clean tone.

pmac11 likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I get were you're going. When I envision the player I certainly see the Fender Strats... but when I think of the sound something else is going on. For me the whole row of Marshall stacks imagery started with Hendrix. So maybe a bit of both there with some Fuzz and Wah pedals thrown in for good measure.
    Somehow I associate SRV more with Fender amps(and a TS pedal) as most probably would. In reality he always mixed his Fender sound with something else(Plexi, Dumble, Soldano proto) plus almost every amp he used was modded out the yinyang.

pmac11 likes this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I am a Marshall player since my early teens. I still play vintage Marshalls or direct relatives to this day exclusively. I cannot comment on the newer stuff from Marshall, though.
    The combination classic Marshall/Gretsch is made in heaven (for my personal tone-and feel-preferences).
    I owned a lot of different fine amps but always came back to my Marshalls. I am so biased to them that I find it difficult to adjust to other guitar-amp-constructions.
    (I assume that people who are accustomed to Vox- or Fender-type amps for many years would feel the same about their brand/model.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Too many Marshalls, too many Gretschs & they all sound great together. Especially the "cleans"

20. reckless toboggan

Jul 22, 2019
    Canada
    The issue here is your Marshall DSL5. Those are terrible, IMHO. Small, boxy, sandy, fizzy, with no balls. There are a lot of guitars that sound like crap through those amps. The only thing I've heard that did sound okay through a DSL5 was a Les Paul, and even then, the comparison of that to a 20 watt amp with good speakers was night and day. Bottom line is Marshall didn't do a good job with the DSL5 watt, and I agree with you that a Fender Blues Jr or some such is a much better sounding amp in comparison.

Running through a 20 watt DSL or Origin or Studio Vintage or Studio Classic with a good quality 10" or 12" speaker really helps.

tl;dr the DSL5 is a horrible example of a Marshall tube amp and the 10" Ten-30 speaker in that combo is terrible.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    MKunie and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice