Gretsch Talk opinions on Players versus Vintage Select

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by donb1234, Sep 11, 2019.

1. donb1234

donb1234 Electromatic

Sep 8, 2019
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Would like to hear some experienced opinions on choosing between:

• White Falcon Players Edition G6136T
    • White Falcon Vintage Select G6136T-59VS
    • White Falcon Vintage Select G6136T-55VS
    As non-traditional as it is, I thought the Players Edition was what I wanted, as it has:
    • Smaller neo inlays
    • Vertical logo headstock
    • Filtertrons
    ...which are some things from 55 and some from 59.

Ideally I think I'd prefer a G tailpiece over a bigsby, as it seems they are super hard to find and I could always choose to go with a bigby later.

Having said all that, what do the forum members think, comparing the Players to the Vintage Select?

What aspects of the Vintage Select make it more appealing over the Players, and how much is that difference worth?

Is the Vintage Select that much better for me to overlook that the Players's seems to have the right combo of stuff I'd like visually?

Lionpotato likes this.
  2. donb1234

donb1234 Electromatic

Sep 8, 2019
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    BTW the "purist" in me wants to say it's all about how it sounds but the realist in me wants to admit that there's a visual element to liking the guitar you play, so I'm a bit conflicted if that makes sense.

Bertotti likes this.
  3. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    I'm in the same boat, I really dig the Player's headstock but find Nitro to be my preferred finish. I dig the zero fret on the Billy Duffy Falcons as well... Watching this thread.

4. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    The 59 for me. I have always been skeptical about the G tailpiece and its ability to deal with heavy duty strings.

5. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    While they are not the same model. I have the silver 6118 pe and 55 vs 6120
    So different. Maybe I’m not really helping
    I’m torn between the 2 mainly like locking tuners on the pe. But even looking at the two together. The 55 is a caddy to the pe being a corvette

new6659 likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    It is a matter of taste. They are all great guitars made to please special requirements.

MKunie and section2 like this.
  7. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Watching with interest. Never owned a PE. Played a few. Owned a few Vintage Selects! Amazing guitars but honestly locking tuners, Graph Tech nut, and string through Bigsby is attractive.

new6659, MKunie and section2 like this.
  8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Assuming that you find all three models equally comfortable to play, and setting aside any price differences, I'd suggest choosing based on the features that can't be modified. Pickups, tailpiece, and tuners can all be swapped out easily enough. Fretboard markers, finish material, and headstock logo are another story.

new6659, Henry and MKunie like this.
  9. donb1234

donb1234 Electromatic

Sep 8, 2019
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Regarding play differences, are there any? Don't they have the same neck?

Regarding pickup swaps, I thought the 55 Dynasonics would require some significant work to put Filtertrons in?

10. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I haven't played any of them (I'm a junior-sized guy; I don't get along with Falcons), so I can't comment on playability differences. I know that at least some PE models have shallower neck set angles for better upper-fret access; not sure whether that's the case on the Falcon.

If you're going from Dynasonics to Filtertrons, you can buy a set of TV Jones Filtertrons in Dynasonic pickup housings. I'm fairly certain that they're a direct fit, but TV Jones can confirm.

https://tvjones.com/collections/guitar-pickups/products/tv-classic-neck-dearmond-mount-pickups

11. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    the 55-vs and anni pe are very different size wise is all aspects. But picking them up each have their own feel to them,
    The 55 is a big large monster. While the anni is skinnier, and for a smaller person easier to hold!

12. donb1234

donb1234 Electromatic

Sep 8, 2019
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I was asking about Players' Edition White Falcon, not the anniversary?

13. donb1234

donb1234 Electromatic

Sep 8, 2019
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Ah good info on the "Filtertrons in Dynasonic" package.

So if I went with the '55 I think the only thing I wouldn't be in love with were the inlays. Totally understand other's desire to be period correct however.

section2 likes this.
  14. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Forgot to mention one big playability difference: the body on the Player's Edition is 2.25" deep, whereas the Vintage Selects are 2.75" deep.

15. donb1234

donb1234 Electromatic

Sep 8, 2019
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    The 2006 Falcon I tried out seemed comfortable to me, wonder what the width was on it. Back to back with some other models I noticed the body width difference, but for the gigs I have in mind I'll be seated which for me makes a thicker body not so much of an issue.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    new6659 and section2 like this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Gretsch necks seem to vary a bit, although prolines are generally on the slim side. I doubt anyone here as tried all of those versions of the WF.

Yes, for filtertrons; no, for TVJ calssics in a DeArmond mount: https://tvjones.com/products/tv-classic-bridge-dearmond-mount-pickups

17. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Which features make you grin, and want to play it?

That'll be the best model to pick.

Bertotti and calebaaron666 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice