Gretsch Super Axe/ Super Chet

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by MikeSchindler, May 22, 2019.

1. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I would love to see these reissued in Fairlane Blue, candy apple red, lime gold, antifreeze green sparkle , black, metallic purple, sonic blue, vintage cream,dark brown walnut! .. and with choice of blacktops or HS Filters ...and with the onboard electronics. Am I asking too much? Lol

2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Time to call the Custom Shop!

I'd like to check one out, never saw one in person

3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Unlikely,they were flops first and second time around,well,for the Super Gretsch anyway.

I love the Super Chet though,had a 77 myself.:cool:

4. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    You know, I've never seen an example of the "reissue" Super Axe. Read about, seen references to it, but never so much as a pic. I wonder how many of them they really made?

5. afire

afire Country Gent

Reissue Super Chet, called "Super Gretsch" since they couldn't use his name at the time:

[​IMG]

And the "Gretsch Axe," again, since it couldn't be called the "Atkins Axe":
    [​IMG]

6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I don't believe they ever made a Super Axe reissue,just the Gretsch Axe in the above pic^.

Gretsch Axe - 1995 - 2001

Super Gretsch - 1998 - 2002

7. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Wow, nice Axe! Don't believe that's a finish they offered the first time around. I've got a charcoal grey Super Axe from '78, the other one was more of a cherry red. These are actually really nice guitars, just not particularly "gretsch-ish" if you know what I mean. DiMarzios aren't Filtertrons after all.

In fact, that would be a cool mod to try... drop some Filtertrons in one of these and see how they sound ... Hmmm ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice