Gretsch Streamliner g2622t Upgrade reccomendations

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by gallaghern9, May 27, 2019.

1. gallaghern9

gallaghern9 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Australia
    Hi All

I've had my gretsch streamliner g2622t for a little over a year now and i absolutely love it
    I'm starting to get into more gigging and would like to make some upgrades to make it a little more tuning-stable friendly

i had it set up by a luthier who recommended upgrading the bridge first, then the machine heads (would like to put locking ones on) and maybe the nut

wondering if anyone had done the same and could recommend parts that know will fit without any modifications to the guitar itself? i know the bridge especially is an abnormal size?

thanks in advance

[​IMG]

savofenno and Davis Sharp like this.
  2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Beautiful guitar!

If tuning stability is an issue, the first places to look are the nut and the Bigsby tension roller (the bar overtop of the strings at the front of the Bigsby).

If the nut slots are too tight, too deep, or angled improperly, they can cause the strings to bind. A good luthier can fix the slots with a set of nut files in less than ten minutes. You can also try lubricating the nut with Nut Sauce or regular pencil graphite.

Bigsby tension rollers often push the strings down too far, creating a steep break angle over the bridge. This extra pressure can cause the strings to bind at the bridge. I've had that problem on both of my tension-roller-equipped Bigsby guitars. You can determine whether this is a problem on your guitar by running your strings overtop of the tension roller next time you restring. If your tuning stability improves, then you'll know the tension roller is a problem. The solution is to leave them overtop of the tension roller. If you try this and find that your strings are now popping out of the bridge or aren't sustaining well anymore, that means your break angle is now too shallow. The solution would be to buy a Brick's BiggsFix. It replaces the tension roller with one that rolls more smoothly and doesn't push the strings down as far, giving you an optimal break angle and better performance overall. He offers free shipping to forum members.

Other nice upgrades: some people like to swap the pickups for Blacktop Filtertrons (affordable and great), HS Filtertrons (pricier but better), or TV Jones pups (priciest but reportedly even better). On the cosmetic side, many owners like to replace the knobs and switch tip with chrome or nickel Gretsch hardware. Nickel would match the rest of the hardware on your guitar. You'd want to buy the Electromatic knobs and switch tip. The pro line versions won't fit.

Lastly, you should add a jack plate. You don't want to step on your cable and rip the jack right out of your guitar!

There's a thread called "Let's see your modded Streamliners" which should give you some inspiration for other mods. Enjoy!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Aristophon likes this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    As for tuners: locking tuners make it easier to restring (especially with a Bigsby), but they don't really help with tuning stability. I added Hipshot Grip-Locks to my Gretsches. They're nice to have, but not necessary.

Some people swear by roller bridges, but I've found that a guitar with a properly set up nut and Bigsby will stay in tune just fine with the stock bridge. If you're looking to upgrade the bridge, many people prefer solid bridges. Tru Arc and Compton are the leading choices.

Aristophon likes this.
  4. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    A90E5FC6-0E73-4BF7-B0FE-B70797748D32.jpeg I added Filtertrons, and armrest, and pickup rings, and then sold it for another guitar

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    section2 likes this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I changed a whole buncha stuff on my 2622t. I ordered an aluminum rocking bar bridge from Tru-arc, nut, grover 502 locking tuners (drop right in, perfect replacement), chrome knobs and switch-tip, and she has TV Jones classic filtertrons and pickup rings (the stock pick guard no longer fits so I got a nicer one).
    She’s a really solid player now. Keeps tune great! AEFC6574-CA90-4E60-A768-78EDD66E2290.jpeg

Jelly Roll Horton and section2 like this.
  6. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    A875977A-C3D0-4297-A4AE-98F672C87125.jpeg On mine, I started with the nut as the stock one is a very low grade plastic one. Went with TUSQ XL which was basically a drop-in, Hipshots locking tuners (a great thing for Bigsby) upgraded the PUPs to PAFs Dimarzio 36th annis, and the chrome knobs and switch tip.

Professional set up- he worked on the bridge saddles with a file and nut sauce No need to change the bridge or the tension bar. Stays in tune now very well and is a great player.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  7. gallaghern9

gallaghern9 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Australia

thanks for the tips!
    i had the guitar professionally set up and the main recommendation i got was to replace the bridge for better sound/sustain, and i think i have definitive noticed binding in the bridge (the saddles are beginning to wear and strings dig in) but the luthier told me the bridge is an abnormal size and would be tricky to find a replacement

I'm pretty happy with the pickups at the moment (at least for my level of playing)

thanks for the jack plate tip, hadn't thought of that!

section2 likes this.
  8. gallaghern9

gallaghern9 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Australia
    looks amazing!

I'm in aus so not sure how easily i can get those sorts of hardware here, but gives me a good starting point!

9. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    The Broadtrons weren’t / aren’t bad at all. But you’d be surprised how much better it’ll sound with good quality filter Trons , P-90’s or PAFs.

10. gallaghern9

gallaghern9 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Australia
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .... and there ya go folks ;)

Scooter127 and section2 like this.
  12. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    That one was for you. :)

thunder58 likes this.
  13. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Your best bet is to measure your existing tuners and compare them to the measurements on those tuners.

Alternatively, Hipshot tuners come with a set of what they call Universal Mounting Plates, which allow you to drop them in without drilling. I'm happy with mine.

Or you can use Grover 502s, per Caleb's recommendation above. Have fun!

EC Strat likes this.
  14. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    ^^ this

15. gallaghern9

gallaghern9 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Australia
    I'm digging the bridge! thinking about getting a similar one or one from Compton
    only thing that makes me nervous is making sure i get all my measurements/spacing correct to that it fits properly
    how did you go about ordering yours/which one did you get?

16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I don’t know if a compton would fit these bridge posts, but Tru-Arc has a model that will fit #120/ES-2.
    A Gotoh Tune-o-matic fits on mine as well. It’s not a bar bridge, but it’s a lot better than the one that comes stock.

17. gallaghern9

gallaghern9 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Australia

looks awesome! which graphtech nut did you go with? took some measurements and i think the Epihphone style is the best fit?

18. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    Not sure what my luthier went with

19. gallaghern9

gallaghern9 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Australia
    first upgrade done! VERY EXCITED!
    Gotoh locking tuners, new nut, bridge and jack plate to come

upload_2019-6-14_10-53-38.png

upload_2019-6-14_10-54-29.png upload_2019-6-14_10-55-11.png

20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice mod!

gallaghern9 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice