Gretsch Roots gig bag for 5420T

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Sean McILwaine, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Sean McILwaine

Sean McILwaine Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Hi, I’m looking for some help on selecting a gig bag for my 5420T with a Bigsby.

I realise that gig bags are not that popular on the forum but I do not want a hard case as I am only taking the guitar to the car or on the tube to play at friends a couple of times a month.

Another factor is space and when not in use I can fold a gig bag away.

I know they are not as secure as a hard case but happy to take the risk given the limitation of my travels.

I like the look of the brown Gretsch Roots bags but can’t find any measurements or details of padding etc on the Gretsch site or elsewhere so unsure if any of them will fit a 5420T.

I know Gretsch do a black gig bag for Electromatic but I’m not keen on a black bag.

Any help or recommendations or other brands welcomed. Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    What's your budget? There is a huge range of quality, protection and price. Reunion blues make gig bags that are expensive but good enough for many custom guitar builders like to use. Or you could get a $20 one from GC/ Amazon which is basically a guitar shaped duffel bag.

My guess is I'd you dont want black, you will have pretty limited options.

3. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    I almost always use a gig bag over a hard case. I use the same bag for my Gretsch 5120, ES295, and acoustic guitar. I would suspect a Roots bag that would fit a full size acoustic would work.

I think a Jim Dandy or reso bag would be too small

new6659 likes this.
  4. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  5. Sean McILwaine

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Thanks all, I should have mentioned price range, I guess up to or around £60 to £70 as I do not need anything too fancy for the limited use.

I have looked at the Gretsch details for the Roots bags but very limited info on the bags, they also make a Roots bag for Dreadnought and Jumbo acoustic guitars which I thought might fit. I have phoned the main guitar stores in London but they could not help. It seems crazy that Gretsch make a range of bags but don’t provide essential information. There seems to have been a run on the Gretsch black gig bag made for Electromatics as all the stores I called are waiting for new stock to arrive.

I know the range is limited if you don’t want just a black bag but there are some nice alternatives. In my search I have found a range of sort of vintage looking bags made by Powerpad on the main Ibanez site, I have never heard of Powerpad but some good reviews and they do provide very detailed internal and external measurements and size of padding,

I might look into one of their bags as another option but would like to pursue the Roots bags for now.

6. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    I sometimes bring my 5420 into town on my long train commute, in its hard case. I nurse it between my knees on the train so I take up only one seat. Its heavy and bulky to walk with but its OK.

The case takes various mild bumps and knocks getting into and out of the seat, into and out of the train and turnstiles etc. i would be very nervous doing that trip with a soft case, there is just so much elevated superstructure on a 5420, floating bridge, bigsby etc

When not in use I keep my hard cases lying flat in my wardrobe, which works fine.

7. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I can tell you that my G5420 will not fit in a standard dreadnought case. The bout is too wide. I do have a hard case and wound up buying the economy Gretsch TKL case on sale. Perfect fit. I would take the guitar into a local music store and try on a few until you find one that fits.

8. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    In the song “5420 gig bag blues”, the guitar solo starts with a one and a half tone up bend on the bigsby, followed by the sound of a string breaking. The remainder of the song is played on five strings and with a strange intonation because the bridge base has moved.

Tele295 likes this.
  9. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    TKL makes identical (or nearly so) cases for Gretsch, Ibanez, themselves, and others. My 5420 resides in the TKL Ibanez case (no logo) - because it was $89 instead of the $129 asking price of the same case with a Gretsch logo.

wabash slim likes this.
  10. Sean McILwaine

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Thanks for all the suggestions and the 5420 Gig Bags Blues.

Hopefully I might have some good news on the gig bag front, I managed to find a guitar store that had made the effort to measure the internal dimensions of the Gretsch bags but unfortunately they didn’t have any in stock.

Eventually I found a very helpful store (Manns Music) that had them and also 5420's in stock. They tested for fit and called me back with the results. Surprisingly the 5420 fitted the G2188 but as expected was a bit tight on the lower bout but they thought doable.

They told me that the Dreadnought bag was a really good fit on body, length and depth so I imagine the measurements below might be slightly off and on the small size.

Anyway I have ordered one and it should arrive next week. I will update once I have it and post some photos. Fingers crossed. All the best.

Gretsch G2186 Dreadnought Gig Bag | Brown
    Gig bags designed specifically for Gretsch Acoustic series instruments features include: a tan 600 Denier exterior with 15 mm thick premium internal foam padding an exterior pocket and padded backpack style shoulder straps.

Specs
    Dimensions
    :
    G2187 Jumbo Gig Bag
    Internal:
    Length: 40"
    Depth: 5"
    Upper Bout: 13"
    Lower Bout: 17"

G2188 Folk/Rancher Jr./Orchestra Bag
    Length: 41"
    Depth: 5"
    Upper Bout: 12"
    Lower Bout: 15"

G2186 Dreadnought Bag
    Length: 42"
    Depth: 5.25"
    Upper Bout: 11.5"
    Lower Bout: 15.75"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice