Gretsch Rancher Falcon

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by BatmansGretsch, Mar 16, 2020.

1. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    I am thinking about getting a Gretsch Rancher Falcon with Fishman internal pickup system. The reason is because I need an acoustic-electric. I have acoustics and electrics. I have a Dreadnaught for playing and a Dreadnaught mini for learning. However, if I want to amplify then I need to mic it. I would like an acoustic with higher fret access so cutaway and electronics.

What's holding me back from the Falcon though is the soundhole. I know I am not dependent on it being an passive acoustic only but how effective is the triangular rancher soundhole compared to a regular one?

Even though I own Gretsch electric guitars I wasn't initially looking at them and sort of was looking at cheaper versions of the same thing (HB) but someone told me that Gretsch acoustics like Falcon Ranchers are a whole other dimension of playing acoustic, like heading towards Martin quality gear. Will paying the extra hundreds for a Rancher Falcon sound qualities worth it? Like a big noticeable difference?

It seems to me some electric guitar Gretsch players get other brands for acoustic performances. Marshall and Martin being somewhat popular. Chet Atkins, Neil Young for example. However, that stuff is out of my price range at over a grand. I would like new too.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Maybe by the time you purchase a falcon Acoustic and buy a Fishman and pay to have it installed you may be just better off looking at the Martin D-13e Raod series . A great bang for the buck IMO . Best of luck with everything

Bertotti likes this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Gretsch acoustics don’t typically sound great unplugged in my experience. But they sound terrific plugged in for stage use.

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Not sure if they are in Martin territory . However, the moment you plug in an acoustic , the pickups does the job. I have has countless people show up to an open mike i ran for about two years. Used a bose tower and their little tone match mixer. The pickups can be EQ’d so they sound great, regardless of the instrument. So folks that showed up with ranchers sounded as clear and clean as the ones with Taylor’s and their fancy expression system. The biggest difference is in pure acoustic sound. The rancher will not out perform a Taylor 800 series, or a Martin D28 for volume or tone unplugged. I have played a few ranchers. They play well if the setup is done at the factory. But they play more like a slightly thicker electric guitars. Thats not bad, just different. Martin play like acoustics. At least neck wise. If all you are doing is getting a guitar that can be plugged in, go the the nearest store that has some, and plug them in. Preferably through whatever it si you will be amplifying it with in the future. No need to play it through a bose tower at 2800 bucks, then come home and play through a fishman mini, it wont sound the same regardless of which guitar you get.

FWIW, I purchased a takamini EF340ec back in the mid 90’s. Got it because GArcia was usi9ng one on stage and it thought the sound was perfect, and i didnt need a mike. Its still my go to guitar for live gigs. Plays the best, very comfortable, and th electronics do what I need them to do, which is be consistent. However, if i take it to a bluegrass jam, the D35 sitting across the room drowns it out.

And per the regional question, i wold bet that what ever a entry rancher sounds like plugged in, the falcons will sound the same, just with some bling. Same pickup I believe.

Pine Apple Slim likes this.
  5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I've gigged with a Jumbo Rancher for 10 years now (mine is the first FMIC generation-- a 2005 Korean build, not the present Indonesian build version). I've also recorded with the same guitar. The triangular soundhole does not have an effect on the sound versus a traditional round soundhole. It sounds like a jumbo guitar, period; which translates to lots of lows, mellow highs, and a bit of a scooped midrange.

6. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    thunder58 likes this.
  7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    BatmansGretsch likes this.
  8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I must agree to disagree here T . Yea , I did not like the sound of the 6 string , but the sound of the Gretsch 12 String acoustic just blew me away . One of the best sounding 12's I've ever heard .... and you know what a 12 string freak I am

TSims1 likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    They are plywoodguitars as (nearly) all Gretsch guitars are.
    Their acoustic qualities do not compare to a good Martin. They got something special going, that`s true but they really shine when played amplified. Just my humble opinion, though.

10. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    There is a 12 string version of the same guitar. https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear...falcon-acoustic-electric-12-string/2714025505

I have never played 12 strings before. What is the main disadvantage for the tone? The trade-off. Is it easier to make mistakes?

11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm of no help. I like the Martin tone, and my old D35S does it for me.

I'm not saying that there aren't great sounding guitars from numerous brands, but when it comes to acoustics, I'm a Martin guy, just like I'm an electric Gretsch guy.

Play before you buy anything IMO.

12. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    :eek: what are you hating for ? This is the son of a G-T member ( sorry , can't remember who's son but he's great )

13. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    rcboals and BatmansGretsch like this.
  14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    perfect pickup for gretsch guitars is the Lr Baggs M1a, I love em. My gretsch sweetheart and 6020 sounded fantastic w them into the lrbaggs paracoustic di.

w and w/o tksmith pkguard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    There's a lot of different acoustic tones out there and your playing style will dictate the right guitars for you.

I've had a 5022CE Rancher Jumbo since they came out in 2012 and as a strummer and flat-picker I couldn't ask for a better guitar. Big, full ringing tone, lots of bass, sounds great plugged in or not.

Not sure I'd pick it if I was primarily a finger-picker, it's not a "delicate" guitar. I'll concede that ground to Martin, but for what it does well, the Rancher Jumbo does it very well.

The Falcon version is essentially the same guitar with a little extra bling. Try before you buy, but imho, it's one of the better buys out there.

17. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Love mine! Looks good hanging on the wall as well IMG_20180910_133900_hdr.jpg

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do not have the Falcon I have the Rancher Penguin unplugged it is somewhere between my Little Martin and the Small version of the Taylor not bad fine for noodling and sitting around but jacked up it does sound good. What I have noticed is it is the heaviest acoustic I have it outweighs my 000-18 without even trying, it is a heavily built guitar and probably why it isn't nearly as good unplugged but why it does well jacked in. I have given thought of selling mine because I almost never plugin, and if I do, it will be with my 000-18 because it is at a whole other level. As it should be when comparing a guitar that cost 5x as much. When I travel I switch between it and the Little Martin.

19. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    My Maton Mini emd-6 is THE small guitar to beat all small guitars. Check one out sometime if you get a chance. It’ll give you a thrill.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice