Gretsch Pro-line, player edition versus G5420T with upgrades? Comparable?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Jockabilly, Oct 3, 2018.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    You get what you pay for, and if you dont, pay a little more and get some more!:)

2. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    I wince every time someone posts this sort of question.
    These type of threads can escalate rapidly into disaster, but I have to say this thread so far, has behaved itself.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Trash Kidd and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Or ya can get a Guild.

Do yourself a favor and watch this insane video.

4. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    As you see in my avatar I have both a 2005 SSLVO and a 17 5420T.

Pickups- bother have a great sound , the SSLVO TV Classics sound a bit more vintage clean and ballsy when adding gain but the BT are great in their own way ..a bit more mid and bass presence without giving up the chime on the high strings. Very slight Edge to SSLVO for chime which may be a negative to some.BT are adjustable..SSLVO you have to add something under the pickup if you want to raise it but poles obviously are adjustable. I never had to do that as they are in TV Jones spec.

Woods- SSLVO slightly better wood but seriously not a big difference.
    Finish- both are comparable and perfectly Sprayed except my SSLVO is nitro. Hard to beat that blue finish which is absolutely beautifully done. Not a big difference to me.

Electronics- even though they are Asian electronics in 5420 works fine no issues. Easily remedied if it bothers you. Treble bleed on 5420 is a plus. I experience no difference in the two seriously for functionality. Tone switches vs tone knob. Both work to cut some of the treble frequency but the SSLVO is easier to work on the fly if playing live

Fretboard-SSLVO has ebony fret board, fantastic feel which gets upper hand but nothing wrong with 5420.. Which also feels decent and has rosewood..possibly compressed rosewood. Upper hand goes to SSLVO just because of the ebony.

Neck- I feel really no big difference. SSLVO slight V --U shape on 5420.. Again they feel very similar to me with slight upper hand to SSLVO for feel.

Radius-9.5 SSLVO vs. 12 5420... I find the SSLVO more comfortable to play but the 5420 is still nice.

Bridge- no difference to me both adjustable ...even though the 5420 is cheaper unit still works fine and is secured vs pinned. Sometimes SSLVO ones rattle so there you go.

Bigsby- us vs licensed..both work fine really.a bit of a different feel but they both work well

Tuners- sperzel on SSLVO-- easier to change strings...cheaper units on 5420 but they work great and look good..better gear ratio on 5420..I have no idea how the newer SSLVO tuners are.

No jack plate on either.

Case included with SSLVO.

Fit and finish- both fantastic.

Truss Rod better quality on SSLVO and adjusts a lot better. 5420 is a bit rinky dink and you need an Allen wrench which can strip the bolt because of the soft crap metal they use. ..but it works..not well but it does.

Pickguard bracket screws on 5420 which screw into guitar body- too small and the threads too small on the 5420 which don't hold in wood easily.. Especially if you take them out a couple times.Lower quality screws.

Binding- both impeccable...both aged.

Difference in price-
    New SSLVO 3200 -3500 vs 799 or 849 for 5420
    In today's world there is no way I can afford a new SSLVO ...glad I have one . I think the 5420 can be modded-pots ,jacks a very compatible guitar for an added 600 or so- Bigsby, pro pickups, wiring harness , jack etc..the SSLVO has trestle bracing that adds to a bit more stability with a 3 ply top and prevents excessive feedback.. 5420 has a tone post with 5 ply top..the heavier ply top does a good job at preventing crazy feedback Butthe SSLVO sound a bit more open while its bracing does the same thing.

Conclusion- I love both guitars and am glad I bought the 5420 but SSLVO gets a quality edge....does the difference in price justify these differences..at the end of the day..yes and no....you will pay for the build...does it matter to YOU...you have to decide..personally ..I won't be ABle to nut a new proline anymore..bills, kids etc you will not be disappointed at all with the 5420 t.

cqscqs, Dave-B, Jockabilly and 2 others like this.
  5. Above Dimension

Above Dimension Gretschie

Jun 8, 2015
    Bulgaria
    I want to put a set of HS Filtertrons in my G5420T,will they be a direct drop in?I love the Blacktops,but I want that authentic Gretsch sound and I know the HS's are Gretsch's most famous Filtertrons.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Trash Kidd likes this.
  6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.

7. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I’m not sure if they’re a direct drop in but I’m sure someone else will know on here..

Above Dimension likes this.
  8. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Mmmm, origional question, Pro Line or 5420? I have both now. Players Edition Tennessee Rose and a 5420.

Both are spectacular guitars. Fit and finish on the Korean 5420 and Japanese Rose is stunning. The Rose has a better bridge, bigsby and better feeling neck and fingerboard. The Pro is a step up, only not a 2 to 3 times the price step up. If someone was buying new I would say you would be well served buying the 5420.

They are so similar that I’m selling my Rose rather than keep both. To be fair, my choice of which one I’m keeping is based on the 5420 was a gift from my daughter and granddaughter.

E6247190-94C5-4027-AD31-4F1C6A777D16.jpeg 14417EA8-56A8-4589-9F6C-A2130A017CB6.jpeg

Trash Kidd likes this.
  9. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    It’s a very subjective topic.

Personally in general I don’t get the whole modding a cheap guitar, just save up for the real deal.

johnny g likes this.
  10. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    If ur ever passing through Yorkshire your welcome to call in to try some of our gretsches as we probably have more than a lot of shops, certainly up north. Lol

11. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    A very kind offer thank you. I haven't been through Yorkshire in many moons, in fact I haven't been south of the wall in many moons. :( I would certainly love to spend some time getting to know some different Gretsches although, at the moment, I am back in 'solid body' territory getting re-acquainted with high speed melodic metal and my Hollows really don't like even being in the same room when I am playing that stuff :D

12. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I put a set of TV Classics in my 2016 5420 and they were direct drop in fit. TV Classics and HS Filtertrons have the same footprint and would also be a direct drop in. However Blacktops have two pick up height adjustment screws on each side, so you will either need new plastic pick up surrounds which are cheap, or drill a new hole in the old one.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  13. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England

Jockabilly likes this.
  14. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    @musicman100 That is pretty wild piece of Gretsch abuse but I think I'll stick to a Floyd equipped solid for when I am playing in that style.

What happens at the end? I can't make it out. Something nasty seems to happen to that Bigsby.

15. budglo

budglo Electromatic

Feb 26, 2019
    Ohio
    93E5AB0C-7635-43C4-BF5A-CB1395D17D03.jpeg I haven’t tried many pro line Gretsches, but yes they are somewhat better. I am totally happy with my 5420t . I can’t imagine I need something more.

sh4rkbyt3 and radd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice