Gretsch Pickups. vs TV Jones

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by tdtom, Sep 20, 2019.

1. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand

another Darrell Braun shootout. after watching this, I've decided that the "td" in my name must stand for tone deaf. I couldn't hear that much difference. Your mileage may vary.

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Internet videos just don’t catch the nuances. That said I like the Gretsch HS Filters in my Penguin and the TVHT pickups a lot. The HS are a rare set of pups for me, generally I’m single coil all the way. I have the Minarick Tone Perfect HB pups that sound great but the TV HT will replace them at some point. I just don’t like HB long term generally but the HS Filters I have never tired of.

ZackyDog, tdtom and Merc like this.
  3. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    Same, only listened to the clean, but heard no difference.

tdtom likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Agree with @Bertotti on internet video’s and nuances. Even at times when gear differences are heard, it seems amplified for me in person. Phones are no better btw too.

tdtom likes this.
  5. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Years ago I bought a TV Jones Tron to replace my Gretsch/Fender Tron. I could hear zero difference in them and sold the TVJ immediately to recoup my $.
    However, what TVJ offers is different models, hotter etc... which is cool. But for a standard 'Tron? forget it.

tdtom likes this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I have all but the SuperTrons in my herd,but i like the TVJones Classics and the HS pickups best,but they're all good.

MKunie, Andrew Griffin and larryb like this.
  7. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Emperor's New clothes a lot of the time I reckon. And TBH, every time I've 'upgraded' a pickup, I've ended up missing something about the old pup, even if it was regarded as junk

8. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    My early experience with TVJ pickups was that they sounded a little harsh to my liking, particularly now that I've worked with the recently available Super HiLoTrons on my 5622.

Lionpotato likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    YouTube supports up to 2160p video. I have no idea what fidelity that is for audio but I doubt it is significant fly inferior to CD quality. Anyone know the actual facts rather than just conjecture?

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Henry likes this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  12. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Having owned both and having played live at very loud volume for hours during multiple shows with both....the TV’s are more strident, bright, and a little on the sterile side. Very clear though! Bright! Maybe a little thinner. Very punchy. Ice picky at times.

HS- more mids, softer highs, more forgiving, feel like they have more character and 3D quality while still being clear and jangly.

I personally liked the HS best. Both are great but the HS sound better to me when you’re rattling your britches at high decibels.

MKunie and ZackyDog like this.
  13. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    And that was Classics,,,,,had a classic plus and supertron but unfortunately did not have the opportunity to play live with those. They sounded killer at home though.

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I wonder if the reason Brian S has and likes such bright pups is partially because of the long cable lengths. Wouldn’t that in and of itself tame those highs a bit?

As for YouTube the specs I found online and posted may or may not be correct but to my ears it still looses the nuances of things, is that because of YouTube or the person recording or the upload itself I have no idea and it may all be in my head.

15. Tadhg

Tadhg Electromatic

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Darrell tends to have pretty clear differences when he does these shootouts. But I often hear things completely the opposite way to what he describes! This time, I heard very, very little difference (listening through headphones).

Part of the issue is the way that YouTube compresses sound. It significantly changes the sound as recorded. Which made it hilarious that Darrell's previous video was one about compressor pedals! :D

tdtom likes this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The TV's i have are in a basswood solid body with 500k pots, very bright. I can't really compare them to the HS in my 5120 fairly. I do have ceramic filters with 500k pots in my Pro Jet and the TV's are much brighter and more HiFi sounding.
    They all sound super Gretschy.

17. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    The long cable would definitely attenuate the highs but the punch would still be there. Add a real RE301 and it’s probably pretty close to tone paradise.

MKunie and Bertotti like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    A real re301 is to much upkeep work for me so I have the Mystery Brain!

MKunie and Lionpotato like this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I'm a purist and want the original, unadulterated Filtertron sound.

I like the TV Jones Classic neck pickup (TVJCNP). It is as close as I have heard to an original PAF 50s/60s Filtertron. The Gretsch HS Filtertron neck pickup sounds practically identical to the TVJCNP, at a significantly lower cost.

I'm not particularly fond of the TV Jones Classic bridge pickup, probably because of the wider than normal pole spacing and the higher than vintage spec output. It sounds over trebly to me, in the both-pickups-on and bridge settings.

The TV Jones Setzer Signature pickups sound like the TV Jones Classic pickups on steroids, at least to my ears.

In the old days (50s/60s), a lot of manufacturers like Gretsch, used the same pickup in both neck and bridge positions, so there wasn't a dedicated neck or bridge pickup. I use two (2) Gretsch HS Filtertron neck pickups, because that is closest in spec---and sound---to a vintage Filtertron.

scthom, Lionpotato and Bertotti like this.
  20. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I think the HS Filtertrons in my Falcon sound better than the TV classics I had in my streamliner, but it’s a Falcon, so maybe it’s not a fair comparison.

The TV Classic Plus I have in my 5420 is a monster, so I can’t really compare it fairly to an HS Tron.

I will say I don’t plan on swapping the pickups in the Falcon any time soon.
    At least not the bridge pickup ;)

Lionpotato likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice