Gretsch or Gibson? Duo Jet vs. Les Paul

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes I agree again :)
    On the P90 pup hum issue I'm particularly sensitive to it.
    Most single coils suffer from it and P90 more than most.
    Some people don't mind it but the humm annoys me so I always prefer a humbucker style pup for OD and distortion.

I've tried some of the noiseless P-90s and they're ok but lack some of the raunch of the originals. Filtertrons give you the versatility from clean thru high gain with very low noise.

And yes I agree horses for courses is always best when you can organise it but ........ what if you had a guitar that did almost every tone better than anything else. That's how I feel about a Jet with filtertrons and bigsby :)

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  2. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I totally understand, and a Jet with Filtertrons and Bigsby is pretty magical for sure.

I will say this too, using a Jet on most type of music would be a pretty damn cool statement too! And I can't see it sounding bad. It could be one's signature tonal idiosyncrasy :) Heck you can even use a Jet with Dynasonics for punk rock ala Billy Zoom. Although for AC/DC crunch I think Filters are needed.

For clean sounds, that is where it is hard for me to decide. I guess it depends on how much twang vs more chime and shimmer I want.
    The only thing I wish I had more of with 'Trons is more snap and twang out of the wound strings, but I think this problem is less obvious with the TV Jones versions I've tried, compared to say the HS Filtertrons.
    My dilemma, in order to stay economical, is that I couldn't afford both..I almost think I want both! And a Bigsby would be mandatory :cool:

Waxhead likes this.
  3. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    The Les Paul was my favorite guitar for most of my playing days, the Junior models especially, i think they are great work horse guitars.
    I’d rather have a duo jet these days

RocknRollShakeUp and Waxhead like this.
  4. Frisco Kid

Frisco Kid Electromatic

Aug 6, 2010
    DFW
    I had a pre FMIC Pearl Jet that was a nice change from a Les Paul but the LP was the preferred tone. Fast forward 5 years later and the Caddie Green Penguin I have now with TV Jones Classic pups rule the roost. The playability and build is simply superb, such high quality! The sparkle and clarity with clean tones is darn near single coil like but no hum...the smooth overdrive and Gretsch Kerang is hard to beat and just what I was looking for. The old ceramic filters were very nice in their own right but the TVs are simply superior in every way IMO. This Penguin can almost do what the LP does but an LP is not even close to what the Penguin can do.

5. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Prolly no surprise coming from a Duo Jet freak like me, but, no comparison! The Duo Jet is by far a superior guitar. Now... my first "real, good" guitar was a Les Paul. I was 15 and had saved up for a year and finally convinced my parents to let me dip into my Bar Mitzvah money (LOL) and I went to the local big music store knowing virtually nothing about pro guitars and bought a classic black LP. I sold it a few years later and I do wish I still had it, but IMHO, LP's only sound good with decent amount of gain. When played through a clean amp, they sound dull. Overall, I think they lack note definition, especially compared to a Gretsch.

While the sustain test in the video above showed the two guitars to be fairly even, in my experience, LP's do have better sustain, but that's a trade off I'm happy to make. If I need high fretted notes to sing forever, I'll get a Digitech Freqout.

I freely admit that I'm as biased as can be, but Gretsches are the best sounding guitars in the world. I said it.

On a Gretsch board...

But I said it nonetheless! ;-p

6. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    Have owned many nice Les Pauls and a few Gretsch’s... I still own a Gretsch! I’m not afraid to play it, it doesn’t seem as fragile as an LP, neck joint, paint, etc... And as far as sound goes LP’s are great but coming from a tele background the Gretsch is a great middle of the road for me, it gets me the power of a humbucker with the snap and bite of a tele. I admit I love the tone of an LP neck pickup but most generally hate the bridge position sound.... as I do in a Strat! The Gretsch is great in every position! I still catch myself looking at LP’s, lusting a little, hopefully the Jade Penguin coming tomorrow will kill that!

7. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I would almost kill for one of those Jade Penguins. When I was looking at the Gretsch site before ordering my 5420 when we looked at that one I thought it was gorgeous and my wife said "That's the one! That's the one!"

Then we saw the words "Limited Edition".

8. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I’ve watched for quite while for one to pop up, hopefully it’s everything I’ve dreamed of!