Gretsch or Gibson? Duo Jet vs. Les Paul

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Nov 30, 2018.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    What do you think?

NJDevil and rockinforJesus like this.
  2. manunk

manunk Electromatic

Prefer the Les Paul in this case....but each time I try one in a store, nothing special. My Country Gent is awesome, as is my SG, but it's hard not to get a LP. Costs money though.

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I was moving away from classic humbuckers when I came to Gretsch, and for what I do, I don't see myself going back. If I ever did, I would have to have the Classic 57's in a Les Paul. I like the clarity. Right now, the Duo Jet would be my choice - a little lighter, and nice clarity in the sound.

BTW, in the past I have extolled the clarity of the Ibanez Super 58 pickups. Since coming into the world of Gretsch, I find that even the Super 58's can't match the clarity of a Filtertron.

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I never bonded with the half-dozend Les Pauls I used to own over the years. Never had a MIJ Jet. So my choice would be the Jet.

5. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
    Had a Les Paul back in the Early 90's, traded it in for a JC-120 and a Telecaster, Hated it, to me it was like holding a baseball bat. Never got another one, right now I have a Silver Jet with Dynas that I Love.

JumpinJagFlash and drmilktruck like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Not a LP HB fan and I certainly don’t like the little flubs in for and finish most seem to blow off as Gibson charm. I’ll stick with Gretsch and my Strats.

MKunie likes this.
  7. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Love Darrel's videos. He seems to always take an unbiased stance. That Jet can do all the LP can, but not vice versa...

JoeyC810, new6659, dak55 and 2 others like this.
  8. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Have both, love both. Haven't watched the video yet.

9. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    How heavy are the jets? As much as I love my 9lbs Epi LP, I might take a chance on a Jet if the neck isn't too skinny and the weight in the 7-8 lbs range...

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My double cut proline DCM is 8lbs even. Feels fine and no neck dive. 8lbs is pretty much my limit on guitar weights as I'm not a big guy and have back and shoulder issues.
    Pic cuz it's a freaking sexy guitar.

[​IMG]

new6659, DougCraft, wilblee and 6 others like this.
  11. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Coming from a background where I have traditionally preferred single coil pickups, I have always appreciated the bright, punchy, natural compression of the Filtertron pickup family.

I suppose that will never change.

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I sold a silver jet to get a Les Paul goldtop, but with P90s. Ended up quickly missing a dyna jet so that got traded for my 53 VS jet. I dont have a single regret.

Henry and drmilktruck like this.
  13. National19

National19 Country Gent

Jan 4, 2014
    Ottawa Canada
    I'm in the minority here, I prefer a Les Paul. I sold my les paul for a jet, then sold the jet so I could get my Les Paul back. I will never sell my Les Paul, I love it. I will however buy another jet eventually.

MotorCentaur, drmilktruck and NJDevil like this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've owned both and for me if both were good guitars, made well, played well I'd choose the Les Paul over the Gretsch. I like my Jet but I don't use it as much as I use my Gibson guitars (335 & Les Paul).

MotorCentaur and drmilktruck like this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Funny , I've had a Jet on my mind these past few days ..... hummmmm .... wonder if they make 'em in a 12 string version with locking tuners :D

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I'm not a Les guy. Had always been a strat guy until I aqcuired my Gretsch that I really enjoy playing. I saw this video sometime ago and helped decide on my first Gretsch. I really enjoy watching Darrel's videos very insightful. This week he cut up a Strat to see if the the difference on wait changes tone and sustain.

drmilktruck and NJDevil like this.
  17. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I'm with you on this National19. I have an '14 LP Traditional that is equipped with the '59 reissue pickups. I broke a string a while back and have been too lazy to fix but I have to say that of all of my 9 electrics, my favorite is the LP. I love the nut width and the very thick neck profile.

Funny that my LP has greater sustain than that in the video which is why I also do like the Jet....there is sustain but, in my opinion, greater note separation (best of both worlds).

My favorite guitar in the herd right now is my LP and maybe because of those pickups. No blemish...supreme quality, and for me....a 10 out 10.

National19 and drmilktruck like this.
  18. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Of these 3 the LP was my first, followed by the tele, then the Gretsch. The P90's in the Goldtop are Sanford Magnetics which i found to have quite a bit more clarity than the stock Gibson's. The Tele has a Don Mare 'keefer' set, and the 61128 has the stock filtertrons. Of the 3 i find my favourite tones are coming from the Gretsch. Clarity and punch, but great thickness. The body is also a perfect weight in between both guitars. I find each guitar makes me play differently, which to me makes them perfect 'tools'. If i had to keep only 1, it would be the 61128. This might sound strange, but i feel like myself when i play the tele and LP, but i feel like i play with a bit more confidence with the Gretsch.

Attached Files:

Henry and drmilktruck like this.
  19. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I'm like you Charlie in that I owned only Strats from '88 till December '09 when I bought my first Gretsch....the Black Phoenix.

I am still a Strat guy but for a few years my playing went flat.....I didn't improve and I realized it was because of mistakes. The cause turned out to be that I was failing to get along with the narrow width of a Strat at the nut and the solution proved to be a Gretsch.

I then refused to pay any more attention to my bias against LPs and bought a Tokai LS 135....great guitar, very warm, and a ton of sustain....a different beast but the PAF-type pickups, with the it's "warmth", turned out to not be as versatile as I would've liked. However, it revved up my GAS for LPs until I got my '14 LP Traditional.

My favorite tone is still my SRV Strat played clean in the neck position or the neck/middle position.

Charlie westside likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice