Gretsch Mary Ford model

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Tele295, Mar 26, 2020 at 1:47 PM.

1. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I’ve been reading The Les Paul Legacy, by Robb Lawrence, and it refers to the fact that, after Les Paul and Mary Ford split up, Mary had been working with Gretsch on a Mary Ford model guitar. The book references the fact that she had a white 3 pickup SG and a white Penguin. I have not been able to find a picture of Mary with a Gretsch yet.

Further internet searches discuss the Mary Ford model development:

In the absence of a current Princess offering, I would love to find a white Corvette or maybe even a Club Jr to trick out with gold hardware and pickguard for my wife. She is a huge Mary Ford fan. Knowing her, the pickguard might have to say “Gretsch Queen” rather than “Princess.” I don’t know if she’d use a Bigsby.

Any thoughts or comments?

Ricochet, benjwri and wabash slim like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    As a log time player of vintage Corvettes (sadly no vintage Corvette owner at this point of time) I applaud your idea.
    There are still some vintage Corvettes out there that you can buy for a song. If they are really rocked you may consider a refin to your wife`s liking.

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. afire

afire Country Gent

I've never heard about any connection between Gretsch and Mary Ford. Interesting.
    Yep, and since it's being refinished anyway, that will hide all manner of issues.

loudnlousy likes this.
  4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Me either, Johnny.

5. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I just learned about it today, and I’ve been a huge Les Paul fan since I was a kid

6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s a new one on me, but I like the idea. A White Penguin seems to fit, for some reason.

Les Paul was astounding. He was an excellent player and innovator. Mary Ford was also remarkably talented and, by many accounts, played exceptionally well.

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    My kids live in the same town that Les did , Mahwah , N.J. About a 15 minute drive for me . Les also played in N.Y. City ( I believe every Monday night ) at the Iridium , about a 40 minute ride from me . ....... yes , ya think I would have seen him play before he passed away ??

8. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Don't feel bad, Thunder. I lived in Washington DC for years and had a million chances to see Danny Gatton, but for some weird reason (stupid, stupid, stupid) only did so once.

And yeah, I've never seen Mary with anything but a Gibson, usually the white SG.

9. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    That could be pretty cool. Mary Ford was a great guitarist. Definitely shadowed by playing with Les Paul.

10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That was pretty impressive. I wouldn’t exactly mind having one of those Les Pauls with soapbars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice