GRETSCH Jet G5220LH-DCM (New Guitar Day)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by hcsterg, Oct 6, 2018.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi All !

Oh, I'm sure that I announced it in some posts related to this guitar on the forum... But now she's here : a GRETSCH Jet G5220LH-DCM Dark Cherry Metallic.

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear...-jet-bt-single-cut-with-v-stoptail/2517120539

Unboxing - direct from my pal's local music shop :
    [​IMG]

The S/N° and official numbers ;
    [​IMG]

On the bench, as is, 2nd pic taken with flash :
    [​IMG]

Outside pictures, under falling sunlight - no protective plastic removed, sorry :oops: :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For those (like me) who may be interested for a swap from Broad'Trons to BlackTop FT or HS FT or TVJ Classics, the following pictures shows that it is doable without too much problems : You can note that the Broad'Trons are wider than the BT or HS FT but the bezels have the exact same external dimensions and fixing on top holes. The Broad'Tron PU is the one with protective plastic film, the other is a BT FT :
    [​IMG]

What I can say is that this model is nicer and offers a better quality of finishing than my G5435LH -BK Pro Jet (1st series).

I plan to put a B3 Bigsby on it... o_O

Wait and See...

A+!

ishtar, pmac11, CNPCNP and 11 others like this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats Bruno, love the color on these!

3. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Awesome. I live the dark cherry metallic. A subtle and bloody shimmer.

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Wow that Dark Cherry Metallic finish is gorgeous! Congrats!

6. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

The unboxing... I love it! What a gorgeous little b. a. GreTsch, congratulations!

ishtar likes this.
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Gretschie

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    looks like a dark cherry carnival ride. congrats!

ishtar likes this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thank you, Guys !

Depending on light exposure, that Dark Cherry Metallic color can look Black (left and center pics). The back is quite clear Mahogany, more like a Pro-Line Jet than my (now sold) G5435LH Pro-jet :

[​IMG]

By the way, the G5220 is called "Jet" and not "Pro-Jet" in Gretsch litterature - notwithstanding that it is an Electromatic Series Chinese-made model.

With a Pro-Line DuoJet lefty pickguard, a Bigsby B3LH, a roller/RBB/SerpenTune bridge, a pair of HS FT / TVJ Classic, she would become a "Lefty Cheap DuoJet"-like ... :cool::D

Wait and See...

A+!

ishtar, j.s.c and jfassett like this.
  9. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Congrats Bruno!

hcsterg likes this.
  10. dankas11

dankas11 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    great photos! congrats!

hcsterg likes this.
  11. Outlaw

Outlaw Gretschie

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Beautiful finish, what pickups are you going with.

hcsterg likes this.
  12. NoRhythm

NoRhythm Electromatic

Sep 5, 2018
    Essex
    I have a righty every time it comes out of the case I get such a buzz. You’re going to love it. Congrats

hcsterg likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Sweet , enjoy and congrats . That first photo , the unboxing , reminded me of a new born baby in the hospital nursery ..... lol :p

hcsterg likes this.
  14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Spectacular! I'm a super DCM fan. Fantastic color that rarely shows in photos how stunning it looks in real life. Looks incredible under lights! Congrats, you've scored a beauty there!

ishtar and hcsterg like this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The sparkling red is the bomb.

hcsterg likes this.
  16. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I once saw this movie as a kid, in which an astronaut was sent to investigate a planet on the far side of the sun where everything was reversed. Lefties make me think that it's a take over attempt from people that would have us all driving on the wrong side of the road.

ishtar likes this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks again, Guys !

This morning I removed the B3LH from my Orange Blossom Special to present it on the G5220LH :

[​IMG]

I just have the place to put a custom-engraved plate to cover the studs of the V-stopbar.

I checked the break angle of the trem, and it was circa 5-6°, which is not enough. But as you can see on the last pic above, there's a gap between the top and the underneath of the vibrato chassis which, with some additional grinding of the B3, should allow me to lower the position of the trem closer to the table from 3-4mm, giving me the 7-8° requested break angle, wthout the help of any additional accessory, if I rely on my calculations and measurements.

I also put the G5220LH in several cases that I have. The one from Thomann (Tweed - for LesPaul) that I use for my OBS was too short, but the one below, a RockCase RC10604BR is just a perfect fit :

[​IMG]

A+!

j.s.c, Groutsch and audept like this.
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    For the moment, I'll go with the Broad'Tron pickups. Later - as the swap is easy to do - I'll go for a pair of HS FT, or maybe TVJ Classic, or I don't know yet.

I did not open the control plates nor tried to remove a pickup yet and... Even not plugged the guitar anyway...:eek:o_O... Yes, that's true... Well it's a Gretsch, so she will have That Great Gretsch Sound, anyway ! :D

Yes, this is a suprising color, going from black to bright depending on the light. You know that we, Lefties, have considerably much less choices in finishes than you, Righties :(. So for once we have something classy too... :cool:

So let's order a B3LH and some hardware, then, for that Custom Jet...

A+!

audept likes this.
  19. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Looks great, nice colour. Congretschulations!

Gretscheroo and hcsterg like this.
  20. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I would love to hear your opinion on the of the BroadTron pickups when you have had a chance to play her for a bit, I thought about upgrading to the BT 65 Broadtrons they put in the 6228, however, I can't find them anywhere!

hcsterg likes this.