Gretsch-inspired custom project :Drawings / Dimensions of 16" body wanted

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by captainmur, Jan 14, 2019.

1. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    Hello dear colleagues,
    I have an idea to order at the luthier a custom made guitar inspired by Gretsch.
    Why actually, a custom made instrument, and not a Gretsch ? Keyword is "neck". My problem is very big hands: I wear gloves of size 12 :) .
    So, first, the scale must be 25,5" - 648 mm, so, the choice of Gretches is small : some versions of Tennys, modern Falcons and Country Gents.
    Second, the nut width of modern standard neck 1.6875" (42.86 mm) is for my fingers definitely to narrow i.e. not comfortable. Only Country Gent G-6122T-59 has a nut width 1.75" (44.45 mm) mm, just as my current Epi Elitist Gent. And even this 1.75" is for me a bit narrow :mad:.
    Third, all Gretch guitars, actually like almost all modern electric guitars have a quite thin "toothpick" neck profile, and it's not comfortable for me too. And I'm not alone, see this thread http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/gretsch-or-rockabilly-guitars-with-larger-necks.174326/
    A Strat or a Tele body equipped with custom "fatback neck" by Warmoth ? Nice, but I want a "real" hollow body, not a semi-hollow.
    Thus, an optimal solution in spite of pretty high price can be a custom made hollowbody guitar with following specs
    - Body : 16" with depth 2.75" (70 mm) thickness, without central block, so like classic 6120.
    - Neck : "Fatback" with "deep U" profile, scale 25,5", nut width 1-13/16" (46mm), 22 stainless steel super jumbo frets with zero fret , thickness at 1st fret: 1.00", thickness at 12th fret: 1.00", fretboard radius 14".
    - Electronics/hardware : 2 x TV Jones Classics (or maybe T-Armonds ??, I'm not decided yet), Bigsby B6, Schaller STM roller bridge on pinned base, locking tuners etc.
    One experienced luthier from Eastern Europe, which builds mainly the jazz guitars, recommends for my project a solid flamed maple as body material for top, back and sides instead of laminated body of original Gretches. He argues, that the sound of such a body would be similar to the original, and perhaps even better, due to the better resonance of the solid maple top.
    How to start a project? First of all, I need drawings of 6120 or similar body. I found only a small low-res image on the web :
    6120.jpg

Can anybody help me with the drawings / dimensions of 6120 body ? If you have any usable vector or bitmapped images or CAD files, please PM me, then we can arrange a file-sharing via Google drive or just e-mailing. On the whole, any your comments or ideas regardings this project are highly appreciated. Thanks and kind regards from cloudy Germany.

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    I had a couple of generic L5 shaped hollow body pdf plans on my computer at home. Let me take a look tonight and see if I can find them for you.

3. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
  4. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany

Attached Files:

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
  6. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
  7. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    You must be my "brother from another mother" - that sounds like MY dream neck!
    Good luck with this custom build!

BorderRadio and captainmur like this.
  8. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    Oooh yes, Roman :)
    Before I bought my Epi Gent I played during approx. 6 years my beloved acoustic guit : Japan made Takamine EAN 30C. I use it first to learn the travis picking technik and further to practice in Merle /Chet style of fingerpicking. See the specs attached, this baby has 25 9/16 (650 mm) scale and 1 7/8 (47,5 mm) nut width, almost like a classical guit. The neck is reaaaally chunky :) like a baseball bat, but for me it's very comfortable to play. For my custom project I chose a little smaller nut width 1-13/16" (46mm) advisedly, it must be better for strings spacing control to place the strings exactly under PUs magnets of TV Jones Classics.
    The Schaller STM Roller Bridge can be also used for strings spacing control with its individual position of each roller. Another option : I'll use TV Jones Supertrons with their blade magnets ;) I'm still doubt about PUs choice : humbuckers Classics or Supertrons vs singles T-Armond
    EAN30Cspec.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    RomanS likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice