Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Gretsch gas

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Johnyrocco, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Johnyrocco

Johnyrocco Newbie

Dec 5, 2017
    USA
    My wife and I were at the local music store a month ago to pick up a mic cord. She wandered over to the guitars hanging on the wall and suddenly called me over. She was staring at a 5422 in Cadillac green, a limited edition.
    You should buy this she kidding said. No, I have enough guitars, plus I am not really fond of the shape.

I am soon to be 65 and I know I don't need another guitar. But I am torn. At what age do you stop buying? I often look at my equipment and think, " I should get rid of some of this stuff". Luckily for me I play out for money about 75 to 80 gigs a year. Mostly retirement homes, and private fraternal clubs, and private parties, but I am playing. And I always need a write off for taxes, an so I could justify a new guitar. Last year I sprung for a new amp, Rolands Blues Cube artist. Now I am gassing for a Red 5420, which I don't need!
    I will keep reading the threads here, and do more soul searching, and just maybe the gas will pass.
    Until then I sure enjoy these Gretsch forums.
    Johnnyrocco

2. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    You're definitely in the wrong place if you're looking for someone to talk you out of buying a new Gretsch!!....................

And this type of GAS never passes!!

3. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Should have listened to your wife.

audept and jagROAR_63 like this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    All Gretsch-Talk members offer unlimited enablement to other members at reasonable rates and give service with a smile. :)

When do you quit buying guitars? If you can afford them without impacting your personal finances, I can see no reason to ever stop. Buy what makes sense for you. I am not nearly the gear-addict that some members are, but I've been known to indulge. Five years ago, on an impulse, I bought the guitar love of my life, a G6120 DC in black with gold trim. I was a bit shaken by the experience, buying a used guitar for 75% the dollar amount that my parents spent on the only new car they ever purchased, but I got over it. It's been my favorite guitar ever since.

Reedlvr, MarkyMac, russmack and 2 others like this.
  5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Johnyrocco! I'm now 70 years old and I have more than 20 pro-line Gretsch guitars (I thinned the herd a little) but still happy to buy more, Your wife sounds like a smart cookie, you should have taken her advice! :D
    tree-dark-400x296.jpg

6. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Does she have a sister? :)

7. gimmodog

gimmodog Electromatic

Nov 1, 2017
    Kentucky
    here is a little encouragement, they have an excellent sound to them. ----go get one

Attached Files:

8. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome!!!
    Go buy that Gretsch!! :)

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
  10. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I remember telling my Wife when I bought my FSR Tele. We have been together 15 years, and has time not flown by? I will be 71 in 15 years. If I can do this with no negative impact on our finances, I believe I should! She agreed. The perspective really hit home with her. I have a 5420T in orange and it is a great guitar. Someday I may get a Pro line, but not until I am worthy...

11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Johnyrocco!

I have no doubt that you will get a Gretsch when the time is right. I waited quite a while for my first Gretsch, and then the second one came a little faster . . . then the next one . . . :D

I blame this forum. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. ;)

12. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Seems the older I get, the more GAS I have....:p

13. bubblyah

bubblyah Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2010
    Calgary,Alberta
    When you have bad gas. You end up lying on the floor almost in tears and eating Tums like its desert. Then doing bad smelly vibrato with your other instrument. The good gas is when you see a jaw dropping guitar and you stand up tall and doing the air band vibrato and dive bombs all the way to the till. On the other hand the bad gas is not as expensive unless you got it eating out at a fancy restaurant.

panhead6zero likes this.
  14. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Welcome to the forum !! Sounds like you didn't play that Gretsch. If not, you should try playing several models through a preferable amp to see which one gives you the most GAS.

panhead6zero likes this.
  15. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Welcome,

you should go back to the shop and play it, because then you will notice, that the 5422 has a much better high fret access and isn't as huge as a 5420.

But compare for yourself, then decide.

panhead6zero likes this.
  16. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    It's mostly Brian Setzers' fault!

LivingMyDream likes this.
  17. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Dude! That Green machine would have been coming home with me for sure.;)
    I got lots of stuff too but that would be too rare an opportunity to pass up.

18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Assuming finances are not an issue, age doesn't need to enter into your decision (IMHO). I turn 65 in about 6 months and I understand how that thought does creep into your head. Do what makes you feel the best and what feels right for your personal situation. 75 or so gigs a year will certainly pay for that 5422. And welcome to GT

russmack and panhead6zero like this.
  19. Johnyrocco

Johnyrocco Newbie

Dec 5, 2017
    USA
    Well, thanks for all the replies and advice. My take a way from everyone is GET A GRETSCH!

I did go back and test another 5420 used in Aspen Green. I went to the salesman and said I would take it, but that was at the exact same moment another salesman came up and said it was sold! He had been on the phone with someone who said they were 5 minutes away. I missed out on a 2012 5420 for $380 dollars.

As far as my wife telling me get that guitar, that's the second time she has done that. 3 years ago we went to Guitar Center for something and she again wandered over to the guitars on the wall. She pointed to an Ibanez AG95 and said you should buy this. Again I said no way, but three days later I went back, played it and took it home. It's a very nice guitar.

My hesitation for a Gretsch 5420 is: will it be that much better than the Ibanez? Both the AG95 Ibanez and the 5420 Gretsch are right in the middle of their respective lines. My gut feeling is the Gretsch is the better guitar, at least pickup wise.
    Again, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. The first picture Bertotti put up is the one the store had in stock. They have since sold it! (groan)

Trash Kidd and Bertotti like this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Candy Apple Red, nice!