Gretsch G9210 Boxcar

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by Danbgt, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Danbgt

Danbgt Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Texas
    I am a pretty new guitar player. I took it up as a retirement endeavor. I have been a drummer for 57 years. Started playing when I was 12. I always wanted to play guitar but family and a busy career seemed to dominate all the time. (And money!). So when I retired I needed something to keep moving and thinking and the guitar was the answer. Now, with the internet, there is a never ending array of teachers and instruction. But I quickly discovered that the electric rhythm guitar parts to all the rock n roll songs that I wanted to learn was not what I was really interested in. What was really interesting and challenging was John Fahey, Leo Kottke and Jack Rose. So that’s where I headed. Sometime before arthritis and Alzheimer’s sets in I am going to be able to play some of that stuff!
    Some time ago I ran across a Gretsch square neck Boxcar resonator for a price that was just to stupid to pass up. It’s a pretty little thing. Very deceiving. I brought it home. I picked up an assortment of thumb and finger picks. And a Dunlop Lapdawg tone bar. I’m set! There are all kinds of YouTube videos on how to pay this thing. Piece of cake.
    I have discovered over the past few months the true nature of a square neck resonator guitar. And what they are really used for. When you spend hours and hours working on Sunflower River Blues and you begin to think “Man! I have almost got this. I am making real progress!” You go get that square neck down, lay it on your lap, put them picks on, grab that tone bar and proceed to loose every bit of confidence you have built up over the past few weeks. After some time of making these God awful noises and beginning to feel sweat run down the back of your neck, you hang it back in the wall and walk away. Head down. Just go set on the porch and stare at the fence. That pretty little thing with the shiny plate just kick your ass. Again! Oh well. There’s always tomorrow.
    Anybody interested in a buying a never really played Boxcar resonator?

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Ain't that the truth! Don't sell it yet, though.

Danbgt, MichaelHargis and section2 like this.
  3. MichaelHargis

MichaelHargis Gretschie

Apr 2, 2017
    Tucson, Az
    Hey, I turn 60 next month. It's month 20 of playing the guitar. I just want to be able to play around a camp fire. Well now I can and starting to jam with others. Talk about sweat!!!!I have been a lead singer and have my our show for over 35 years and never had the time to learn. Ha, now when some hot shot player hands me that Ax I can at least strum a cord or two.
    Stick with what makes you happy

Merc, Danbgt, DannyB and 2 others like this.
  4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome to the forum! Always nice to see a fellow drummer here. I first picked up the guitar a few years ago after about 25 years behind the kit. Like you, I'm finding that this instrument is a real rollercoaster ride for my self-confidence. Great one day, not so great the next—but it's a new challenge every day.

Let's see some pics of your guitar!

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have those moments all the time and that’s after 35 years. Don’t give up. It’s not a race. Some think it is, but I rather roll down the window and enjoy the scenery if you get my drift.

Gregor, MichaelHargis, Danbgt and 2 others like this.
  6. Danbgt

Danbgt Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks for that. It definitely is not a race. There is no finish line.

MichaelHargis, Ricochet and section2 like this.
  7. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Keep at it, these things will come, a little bit at a time.

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend . Keep at it , it'll come to ya . How about a photo of that resonator :)

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Now might be a good time to sell that here, there's been a little interest in reso's lately.

10. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Nothing more fun than playing the song you want to hear. Keep at it

11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    To succeed ,first you must fail,we've all been there sir,ya gotta just keep plugin' away. :)

johnny g likes this.
  12. I jus´ heard that a rhythm guitarist should sound / hear themselves as the drums / drummer . . .
    Hmmm . . .
    David Crosby with his early Gretsch with The Byrds . . .

Danbgt likes this.
  13. Danbgt

Danbgt Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Texas

Attached Files:

thunder58 likes this.
  14. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    JC gave you some great advice, but they are a lot of folks here that have great advice. I say keep on keeping on. I been banging away on my guitars for almost 60 years and still have a whole lot to learn.

Danbgt likes this.
  15. Racherry

Racherry Newbie

Sep 17, 2019
    New to the site, new to Gretsch. So far I love it, G9210. Played some slide as a kid, returning to the womb.

16. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Good tale. Would be nice to hear a follow-up—whether you kept it.

17. Danbgt

Danbgt Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Texas
    Well. I still have it. The guitar. Not the ability. Although there must be something going on. I had it down the other day just messing around and my wife walked by my room and said “that’s pretty”. At the time I thought well maybe I am starting to get somewhere. But as I think about it she may have just been talking about the guitar itself. I’m afraid to ask.

Runamok likes this.
  18. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    You have a whole room? Like a mancave on the first floor?
    Yeah. Me too. <beams with pride>

Help me out here: Is a mancave on the first floor better or worse than a basement mancave?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice