Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Gretsch G6134T-58 Vintage Select ’58 Penguin & Gretsch G6128T-57 Vintage Select ’57 Duo Jet Reviews

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Feb 10, 2018.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I've gotta stop reading these reviews! Now I want one of each.

3. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I really don't think the Penguin has nitro lacquer.

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    It looks and sounds nice.

Cons: The case is a bit vanilla.

Maybe on purpose? You wouldn't want to attract any more attention to it, especially if someone checks it as baggage at the airport.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    Is that a useable mud switch?! And both reviews said they now feature a 2" body depth, which my only gripe with the Jets is the thinner bodies compared to Les Pauls. Now, the only question is do the Penguins only come in white this year?

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Usable mud switch? That's a tough one Slim. It's all relative. From what I have read, it doesn't have the latest paper-in-oil capacitors that they had in the vintage days, if that's what you mean.

Just by using Google images and plugging in "Gretsch penguin" in the search field, there appears to be quite a variety of them out there. If you click on the image, then slect "visit" it should bring you to the vendor's website.

pen4.png peng1.png peng2.png peng3.jpg peng5.png
    Keep in mind, that there are some unique ones, but probably expensive (~$5k) as they may be masterbuilt by the Gretsch Custom Shop.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    I have to keep my new purchases limited to Sweetwater, as that's where I have a credit card to

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I want a Penguin. Would love to order one from Steven Stern with only one Filtertron at the bridge and no neck-PU. And -as a big twin-brother- a Falcon with the same spects. Both with a Bigsby. That would be really cool.

But I believe that I have to wait until I win the lottery
    ...and be able to afford other things first...sportscar, Harley, a little house, some new boobs for the missus, getting my amp and guitar collection back...
    Oh, better idea: I could send my 19 y.o. son to work and retire.:p (Or sell him into slavery together with his mother:eek::).)
    It is always good to have an alternative perspective for your life...

9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Ohh...now I know. ;) It took me a bit of time and research to put a response together for you. :(

@loudnlousy

May all of your needs and wishes come true, Frankie.

slimwilson likes this.
  10. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Thanks friend.
    I try to survive a hernikated vertebral disc by my borderline patient care wife since 5 weeks. and I am losing my strenght more and more. I should really win the lottery.....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    ZackyDog likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Don't forget this one! BJP.JPG

Aymara and slimwilson like this.
  12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Sorry to hear that. :( I wish you strength.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    loudnlousy likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Thanks Zacky. I really need strenght at this point of time.

ZackyDog likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The only thing that keeps me from selling body parts for the ‘57 Penguin is the fact that I have the Broadway Jade Penguin. I don’t know about all Penguins but I can not imagine anyone buying one and not liking it. I’m sure it’s happened but I can’t imagine it. The only reason i haven’t sold my other electrics is because they are paid for and each is specialnjn it’s own way. One was the first I ever bought, one my wife gave to me for Father’s Day the first year we adopted out son and the other I won in a random drawing. And lately I have considered selling two of them. The Penguin is the only one I grab for and electric similar to how my Martin cured me of acoustic GAS the Penguin has cured me of almost all my electric GAS, almost, it isn’t 100% cured maybe 90, well 75, ok ok 50% cured!

russmack likes this.
  15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    From my standpoint, yours appeals to me more than the other Penguins because it is a double cutaway, V-cut Bigsby, HS Filtertrons and bar bridge (though I would eventually replace the bridge with a TruArc, non-rocking bar bridge).

16. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Like this one?
    Before:

6134-1962FSR 002.JPG

After:

SerpenTune 6134FSR and 1859LTV-QM 004.JPG SerpenTune 6134FSR and 1859LTV-QM 001.JPG

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    audept likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    In that picture that BJP is sporting an SS TruArc Bridge.

ZackyDog likes this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I couldn't tell; I was just looking at the spec sheet. :)

Bertotti likes this.
  20. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    And the BJP has a major advantage over most other Penguins and many Jets ... the much better high fret access due to the combination of a double cut and a short neck joint. The double cut Jet in post #6 for example has the ugly and not very handy long neck joint ... can be nicely seen in the photo.

A further advantage not many other models (Penguin & Jet) share, is the combination of a mahogany body with a maple neck, which leads to a less dark sound, than a pure mahogany design.

Bertotti likes this.