Gretsch G6120TB Duane Eddy Electric Bass, 6-String (with Case)

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bertotti, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    With case @thunder58,

Anywho I know nothing about basses and baritone guitars but is this a bass or baritone? When does a Guitar become a Baritone and when does a Baritone become a Bass? Is it the scale this is 30.3", the tuning is an octave lower at E-e, I don't get it seems the specs are a bit overlapping on Guitars, Baritones, and Basses.

DE Bass

thunder58 likes this.
  2. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    I’d call it a 6SB.

Henry likes this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Yes, a six-string bass!

Henry likes this.
  4. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Hopefully this will help.

Baritone guitars are considered just that—guitars. They’re strung with guitar strings, and they have a scale length usually somewhere around 27”, which is between the standard scale lengths for a guitar (around 25”) and a bass guitar (usually 34”; around 30” for short-scale and 32” for medium-scale models). Baritone guitars almost never use standard guitar tuning (EADGBE). Rather, they’re usually tuned a fourth lower than a guitar (BEADF#B), with the fifth-string E matching the sixth-string low E on a standard guitar. Baritone guitars are sometimes tuned a fifth (ADGCEA) or even a major third lower (CFBbEbGC) than standard guitar tuning.

Paul in Colorado, Henry and Bertotti like this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep 6 string bass. The 4 kow strings are the same as on a standard bass (starting with E1). The 2 extra strings are higher, B and E, rather than lower - 5 string basses usually have add a lower B.

Bertotti likes this.
  6. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Duane strings it with D'Addario E-.080, A-.074, D-.056, G-.042, B-.034, E-.024 nickel roundwounds.

[​IMG]

7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s a question of some controversy. I have had a benign obsession with the Fender VI for over fifty years. I’ve owned two and have used on as a bass.

So here’s how I see it, and I know ahead of time that not every will agree with me, but here goes. The Telecaster was the first solid body to gain traction in the market. A few years later, the Precision Bass came along. As I see it, the P Bass was a bass guitar. It has the same range as a double bass, but it’s a far different instrument from a double bass. A double bass requires a completely different approach, with regard to technique. Virtually any guitarist can play an electric bass, because it is essentially a guitar, tuned one octave lower. (Where that’s concerned, the double bass is merely a bass violin, tuned in fourths instead of fifths.)

Danelectro came out with a 6 string solid body bass, sometime in the fifties. Leo decided to do them one better and he brought out the VI in 1961. While it’s is almost always called a “Bass VI”, the actual name is “Fender VI Bass Guitar. The VI can be used as a bass. I believe that the Beatles used one on Let It Be. I have used one as a bass, but will concede that it can be very bright. However, if you adjust it just so, it can come across somewhat like a Jazz Bass. However, you can also make it very, very bright. The Bass VI is essentially a Jaguar, tuned an octave low.

The Dano Bass was all but ubiquitous in the session world. They sounded great, but were not top quality instruments. As I understand it, Duane wanted to come up with an instrument that improved upon the Dano. Is it a bass? I’m not certain how I would answer.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I hadn’t read your post carefully enough before I posted, but an .080 on the low E? There won’t be much tension there. The set I use on my VI run 26-95. The strings I use on my 4 string, short-scale basses run 45-100. I know that I’d find it pretty easy to bend the low E sharp with an 80 on the bottom. I once had a Jaguar Baritone Custom which was tuned E-E and has a 28.5” scale. It sounded great, but if you gave the low E a harsh glance it would go sharp. :) If Duane Eddy can play that lightly strung of an instrument in tune, he must have incredible discipline with regard to technique.

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It is a bass guitar, just as a p bass is a bass guitar. "Bass" refers to the tonal range, and "guitar" refers to the format (strings + frets). It's really not that complicated IMO.

reverb11 and DennisC like this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I appreciate your way of looking at it. Yes, it plays in the range of a bass instrument, so it is a bass. No, it doesn’t really sound like a P-Bass, but if you experiment a bit, some of these six string basses can fill the roll of any other electric bass.

11. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Yeah! It sometimes confuses me that a (tenor-) guitar ist looked at as a guitar, if someone says he "plays tenor" it usually is a saxophone, and be it bass, be it a guitar for low frquencies.

It's like ... a freight driver would be driving a freight train, a passenger driver a passenger car. It's mxing up puposes and ranges with certain concepts of realization.

So ... I agree Synchro in appreciating. I do not have a Bass. I have a bass guitar (or, more precisely, I have the parts that, combined, make a bass guitar, as it is disassembled right now and a bit of work on it is still ahead).

But, anyway ... there's a few reasonable ways of looking at this, dividing a certain musical idea between different instruments and so on, so I appreciate that thes off-regular instruments exist.

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I think that Henry really clarified matters. Bass refers to the tonal range of the instrument, guitar refers to the architecture (my word choice) of the instrument. There are bass valved brass instruments (Tuba, Sousaphone), bass trombones, bass oboes (bassoon) bass clarinets, bass saxophones, bass mandolins (mandobass) and bass violins (double bass). I’ve even heard of bass harmonicas.

In theory, switching to another tonal dance should be fairly straightforward. A clarinet player could adapt to any instrument in the family, from an Ab piccolo clarinet to a BBb contrabass clarinet, without having to start from scratch. In practice, it’s not quite that easy, but a person proficient in one range of a given instrument family should have a significant advantage in changing to another range of that same instrument.

Most guitarists have had an electric bass in their hands at one time or another and most electric bassists I've met play guitar, also. They are of the same family. They are based upon the same instrument family, but they don’t play the same role in a band.

I have maintained, for many years, that the Fender VI is a bass, or more explicitly, that it can be used to fulfill the role of an electric bass. The timbre will be different that that of a P-Bass, but it will do the trick. It can come in quite handy if you are playing with just a rhythm guitarist, because you can add some melodic fills up top. I’ve never seen the Duane Eddy Bass, but I’ve heard the demo. It sounds like it would a serviceable substitute for a more typical 4 string bass, although a bit more focused and trebly sounding. Just like my Fender VI, it can be adjusted to cover the role of a bass, or adjusted to serve more as a lead instrument, operating in the bass register.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  13. Geezer1950

Geezer1950 Electromatic

Nov 20, 2018
    here
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Now I am jonesing for a mandobass and mandocello and mandola, geez you guys can trigger gas with the simplest of explanations!

15. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    This thread got me to thinking about a Gretsch Bass. How about Kaylee Jasperson of the Harmaleighs, she plays a 4-string Gretsch. Whoever said that Harmony was a thing of the past, never heard these talented musicians.

Bertotti likes this.
  16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I liked the term "tic-tac" bass I read here for the first time when we were discussing these when these were announced originally.

mrfixitmi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice