Gretsch g5220 vs g6228 comparison

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TSims1, Jan 4, 2019.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Havent looked yet, but wouldn’t surprise me to have budget outsourced pickups in a budget guitar. Now the Proline version........there’s no way.

2. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    These were taken from the jack without removing the pickups so I would have more confidence in your measurements. I'll probably take them apart at some point in the future and will report back what I find.

Thanks for the welcome!

3. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Thanks TSims1!

TSims1 likes this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well yes, this lowers somewhat the real DCR value - if you know your pots values, you can calculate the nearly exact one. But it's nonetheless enough for a good approximation, anyway.

A+!

new6659 likes this.
  5. McIrish

McIrish Electromatic

Jan 7, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Hi, I'm new here and had a question for those with a G5220. I spent a good part of the day yesterday comparing the 6228 and 5220 at a music store in Chicago. I liked both. The 5220 seemed more sparkly in the neck pickup and the 6228 sounded fuller to my ears. The 6228 was obviously the better built guitar but at 4x the cost, I don't know. One thing I really noticed on the two guitars I played was the difference in the master volume pot. On the 6228 it worked as expected. Nice and smooth transition from off to full volume over the course of the entire rotation. In contrast, the 5220 master pot was almost an on/off within the first 1/6 rotation. I thought maybe the pot was bad so they took it and had their repair guy check it out. He said it was fine. I didn't think it was fine at all. I didn't end up buying it. I would have preferred the 6228 anyway but $2K it's just way more than I can spend on an electric guitar at this time.

Anyone else notice the odd master volume on the 5220, or was the one I played just a bad unit?

6. Gregor

Gregor Electromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Yep. Mine does the same if I'm understanding your question correctly. Everything is a smooth transition from full to about maybe as you say 1/6 of a turn to off. In other words it's not a complete smooth transition fading to the off position.

TSims1 likes this.
  7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Thanks for providing the info Ron, and welcome to Grestch-Talk!

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk McIrish!​
    The cool part is that you got the time to sit and play them! ​

new6659 likes this.
  8. JoeyC810

JoeyC810 Electromatic

Dec 9, 2018
    Dracut, MA
    I’ve read that complaint before. I have a 5230T and haven’t had a problem with the stain coming off on my fingers. One question...This 5230T is a 2018 and has Blacktop Filter’Trons. I saw videos from NAMM in 2018 pushing the Broad’Tron. Do 5220’s have BT’s and 5230’s have Filter’Trons?

9. Gregor

Gregor Electromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    The 5220s definitely come with BTs. I don't know about the 5230.

JoeyC810 likes this.
  10. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Mine does as well, a better master volume pot is on my wish list, however, not a priority, the guitar is still awesome and hard to put down!

11. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Hi JoeyC810 - The 5220 has Blacktop Broad'trons and the 5230 has Blacktop Filter'trons based on the specs from the Gretsch website. I really like the sound of the 5220 Broad'trons - smooth but still have that bright sparkle - there is nothing wrong with these at all. I also have the Blacktop Filter'trons in a FSR G5435 which seem to be brighter or have a bit more chime - they started my passion for Gretsch.

JoeyC810 likes this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Guys !

The pot issue on the G5220 is certainly a wrong taper. It's not unusual - particularly on LH models, but also on RH model...

If you have a tech on hand or if you are able to use a good soldering iron, curing this issue shouldn't be a problem. We discussed about that with jfasset in PM.

I mean : do not discard a G5220 only for that problem and take a 4x price tage G6228 without any other pertinent reasons than this pot issue... A tech will ask way much less to do a rewiring job.

Here is the schematic that I traced to rewire my G6119LH, and I duplicated it in many others of my Gretsch, including my G5220, G5435 and G5420 (both now sold). Of course, it will work as is for a RH guitar since I always wire my pots like a RH player :

[​IMG]

Note that :

- the Master Volume pot is a 500K LOG pot (A500K)
    - the Master Tone pot is also a 500K LOG pot (A500K)
    - the Pickup Volume pots are 500K REVERSE LOG pots (C500K or 500K-RA)
    - the Tone cap is a 22nF (same value as the G5220 original wiring)
    - the PU Volume caps are optional : they avoid a quick drop of brightness when you decrease PU volumes.
    - the Treble Bleed is 1n2 + 100K. 1n5 + 120K will also work. The original 6n8 + 250K doesn't do enough.

With all this on your G5220, you will have the smooth, spreaded, regular pot adjustments you expect ;)

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

13. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Thanks so much for this!

14. McIrish

McIrish Electromatic

Jan 7, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the info on the pot. That makes it even harder for me to resist...
    I have my eye on a gold 5220. It gets me one heck of a guitar for not much money. I'd still love the Cadillac green 6228 but over $2k is just too much on a guitar at this point.

15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. That said, TSims is right : the G6228 and the G5220 are not the same instruments. The 4x price tag is justified between a G5220 and a G6228. In both case, you're rewarded.

In the picture below taken in 2012, you can see my good pal Dood (a killer Rock'n'Roll player ;)) holding at left my brand new (and now sold) G5435TLH Pro-Jet and at right his G6128TDS Duo-Jet :

[​IMG]

No comparison between the 2... I mean, both were really playable, but one was a budget guitar, the other a great guitar. At that time, the difference was obvious.

Now the quality and craftmanship of the Chinese-made Gretsch Jet has really improved since, despite that the price of a G5220 Jet in 2018 is the same as the price of the G5435 Pro-Jet in 2012. Again, I'd say no comparison between my 2012 Pro-Jet and my 2018 Jet : I do not regret much the 1st one, but I think I'll keep the 2nd one.

That said, I would be glad to own a LH Sparkle Green, Blue or Red Duo-Jet with DynaSonic pickups, like some other members here have in RH... :rolleyes:

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  16. McIrish

McIrish Electromatic

Jan 7, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I did it. I have been thinking about the G5220 (gold) for about a month and decided to quit thinking and just buy one. I should see it sometime this week I think. I'll play it for a while and see about replacing the pots so they react like the G6228 pots. My first Gretsch guitar.

stratohiker, audept, new6659 and 5 others like this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'm sure you won't regret it, McIrish... Like I don't !

If the wiring is still an issue, you can have it redone with success - by a qualified tech if necessary :

[​IMG]

So now, you stepped in the Gretsch bandwagon ! ;)

A+!

McIrish likes this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Great first Gretsch. You’ll love it. Enjoy!

McIrish likes this.
  19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, McIrish!
    welcome mat 110.jpg

McIrish likes this.
  20. Saro

Saro Newbie

Jan 13, 2019
    London
    Hello!

I bought a black G5220 before Christmas and although I've never tried the G6228 I could imagine what's better in that one. Keep in mind that this is my first ever Gretsch.
    As others said, the Master Volume pot is basically an "on/off switch".
    I have VERY sweaty hands and I had immediately black fingers. I have to say that hasn't happened recently, but I guess it's cold winter and in the summer I'm sure black will run again.
    I was aware of both "problems" prior to buy.

The strap bolt next the neck gets unscrewed easily. I though was a problem, then I though was a good way to put easily straps in and out, until I read that's exactly what they're for! Not sure it will come out totally before you noticing, but I find myself screwing it in too frequently, while the other one at the bottom doesn't do that.
    I thought in the G6228 they'll be less prone to unscrew, but looking at the picture, they are a totally different design, so I don't know how they function (if better).

Of course there are other differences like pickups, weight, Gotoh locking and rosewood fingerboard on the G6228, so already quite a bit I think.

Then there's the look. I personally prefer the chrome colors/finish compared to the gold, and also the "not handwritten" logo on my headstock. Even the knobs have different logos on them. It's just "look" and it goes on preferences I think.

Is the price gap justified? If you can't really notice a difference on playing, or not that big, probably not. I assume a more expert player will :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice