Gretsch G5220 or G5230T

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Silr146, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Silr146

Silr146 Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    Canada
    Out of the 2 which one to buy?

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Silr146!

The most important question is obvious. Do you want the Bigsby tremolo?

Charlie westside and hcsterg like this.
  3. Silr146

Silr146 Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    Canada
    Not sure on those guitars I already own 5420t in farelane blue.
    I want to try something new and just thought that maybe I want a bigsby with a different tone.
    Thank You for the welcome...this site is awesome.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome!

If you want a Bigsby, I'd recommend buying the G5220 and then adding a Bigsby B3 or B30 with a Towner Down Tension Bar. The Towner allows you to set just the right string tension over the bridge, which will give you smoother Bigsby action and better tuning stability. I went with that setup on my G2655 and was very happy with it.

(I'm not affiliated with Towner—just a happy customer. Christian Towner is a fellow forum member, though.)

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Since you have a 5420, I can tell you that the 5220 and 5230T are definitely not pro line Gretsch, but just like your 5420, they're still good guitars. I ran across a Gretsch Pro Jet (an Electromatic) at my local music store, and was amazed by the feel of the guitar, and then I realized that it was much like a Les Paul, but better - chambered body and pickups that offered more top end tone. I missed that particular Pro Jet, but within the year I found another one that I wanted. I've been happy ever since.

Keep one thing in mind. The Black Walnut fretboard is apparently tinted, and players are saying that it is turning their fingers black, at least at first.

Charlie westside and new6659 like this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Silr146!

Charlie westside likes this.
  7. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Of the two, get the G5220. Slap a bigsby on it. You're golden.

section2 likes this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi Silr146 and welcome to G-T ! ;)

Here's my G5220LH-DCM, on which I put a Bigsby B3LH with its chassis reprofiled to avoid the use of a Towner tension bar. I also added a Göldo-Thomann HW05C roller bridge, a TUSQ-XL antifiction nut and a new set of tuners :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A+!

9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    5220. Great guitars.

Charlie westside and new6659 like this.
  10. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    usa
    i have a 5230t. and with alittle setup the stock bigbsy works just fine for me. i added a soft spring and a roller bridge and strung over the tension bar with no ill effect and it plays nice. but if u dont mind the extra cost of adding a bigsby, adding a better one is the way to go

11. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Welcome to the forum. The G5220 dose not have a Bigsby. I Have the G 5230 with the Bigsby on it. The 5220 has Broadtron pups closer to a LP. sound My 5230 is equipped with the Blacktop Filtertrons. I play different styles from Hard Rock to contemporary and now venturing into some Rockabilly. I find it to be very versitile. So I advocate for the 5230. My suggestion play both give them a try and let your fingers and ears decide.

Attached Files:

CaliforniaSlim, Silr146 and new6659 like this.
  12. Bluesman68

Bluesman68 Electromatic

Ok, I have both, and here's my observation:

The feel of the necks are similar. I feel like the Broadtrons on the G5220 are warmer than the Filtertrons on the 5230T, and by warmer I mean closer to the Gibson LP Tribute's 490/498T pick ups which I also have.

Both are well made guitars. The 5230's Bigsby sometimes get in the way of my picking hand's resting spot by the bridge, I don't have that problem with the 5220.

Both sound good, and I use both for my gigs. Either way you choose you'll end up with a great guitar.

HTH!

13. NoRhythm

NoRhythm Electromatic

Sep 5, 2018
    UK
    This is written from the viewpoint of a very very novice player.
    I have a 5220. I try to pick it up every day for least an hour, no black fingers. For the money a really nice guitar to play, so well built. Might sound a bit deep, but the best guitar I can have is the one I want to play. IMO do far worse than a 5220

14. Silr146

Silr146 Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    Canada
  15. Silr146

Silr146 Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    Canada
    trying to post a picture...it wont let me do it.

16. Silr146

Silr146 Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    Canada
  17. Silr146

Silr146 Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    Canada
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France