Gretsch G5120 Truss Rod Nut

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by sandgroper50, Jan 6, 2020.

1. sandgroper50

sandgroper50 Electromatic

Hi Gretsch Lovers

I was wondering if anyone could help me locate a new truss rod nut for my G5120. The nut in the guitar is stripped but I have managed to remove it and the truss rod is not damaged. Have tried searching the net and guitar parts suppliers, contacting local guitar techs and Gretsch Australia without success.

I am located in Perth, Western Australia so it's not easy getting information. Guitar details are:
    Gretsch Electromatic G1520, Serial No. KS10054315, made in Korea, transparent orange.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Sandgroper50

2. anthony466

anthony466 Electromatic

Dec 13, 2019
    Italy
  3. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    A pic would be good. Some nuts have the hex outside some inside. Some are metric some are imperial. I would think if you sent it to Gretsch and begged?

4. sandgroper50

Hi Anthony - Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately don't have any photos and it nut is back in the guitar. I cut a slot in the adjustment end to use a flat screwdriver as the allen key was completely stripped and further damaged using an ezy=out to get it out. The nut kind of works using a screwdriver to adjust but wanted to properly fix it with a new part.

I am perhaps being naive but assumed that all the Korean built Electromatics would use the same part and that it would be metric and standard. I did buy two fender nuts listed on the the Philadelphia Luthier Tools site from an Australian supplier but neither fitted. The nut measures 20mm (0.28") long x 7 mm (0.78") outside diameter with and inside hex which may have been 4 mm before it was stripped. Don't have the tools to measure the thread.

I will contact the Luthier Tools supplier and see if they can help.

5. sandgroper50

Hi benjwrl - Thanks for your reply but don't have a pic. Truth is there is not a lot to see, the nut being a straight rod with squared ends. Dimensions are 20mm (0.28") long x 7 mm (0.78") outside diameter with and inside hex which may have been 4 - 5 mm before it was stripped.

I kind of expected that the Korean Electromatics would all be the same and metric. I have already begged Gretsch Australia who had no listing for the model or serial number and suggested that a local luthier would likely have a box of assorted nuts and could match it. So I contacted the only authorised Gretsch repairer in Western Australia. He had never replaced one and could not suggest a supplier.

Back to square one but still hoping someone may be able to suggest a repairer or store that could supply a new or used one.

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    20x7mm seems on the small side. Is this measured or estimated?

7. sandgroper50

Hi Rich
    Measured with my digital callipers so pretty close. For comparison the nut I ordered, which supposedly fits squire and cort guitars, measures 25 x 8mm and was too big to fit the Gretsch.
    Regards
    Dave

Ricochet likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Dave, if you took out the callipers it must be correct.

Sorry I’ve no ready answer for you. I did a quick search for 7x20 mm truss rod nuts which yielded nothing, which I find baffling in itself.

Maybe try to focus your search on merchants used to dealing with mm, not inches? Maybe European luthiers?

9. sandgroper50

Hi Rich, thanks for trying.

I did email Philadelphia Luthiers as suggested by Anthony but they could not help. It is disappointing that Gretsch don't support the Electromatic series with parts. I was told by Gretsch Australia that the guitar was too old - built in 2010 according to the serial number.

Advice to anyone planning to buy a secondhand Electromatic - take your tools and check the truss rod and then check it again!!!! The guitar looked and played great so I never expected this problem.

Thanks to all who replied
    Dave

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Contact Joe Carducci. He's the Gretsch liaison at Fender. If anyone can help, he'd be the one.

benjwri likes this.
  11. sandgroper50

Thanks wabash slim. Have PM'd Joe and will see if I get a reply. Cheers

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Good advice when shopping for ANY used guitar. People look at you strangely when you pull out tools but i explain that its a make or break issue. When i got my 5120 it was in a trade for a very cool Japanese Stratocaster, i had to drive around 2 hrs each way too. The seller said it was "like new".....it was but the trussrod was all the way loose and the action was like 1/4 inch high at the 12th fret, i asked him wth and he said " well, i don't really play it, it just hangs on the wall" right (nobody could play it), all the time happily noodling away on my perfectly playing Strat, i was more than a little irritated.
    I really wanted a Gretsch bad so i told him it needed a setup and i wasn't even sure it could be adjusted enough, i whipped out my tools and made him hang there while i did a full setup:D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 5:10 AM
    benjwri likes this.
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Maybe take the guitar to a hardware store and try different nuts?

14. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Seems to me it is the internal hex that is stripped, not the threads, is that correct?

15. sandgroper50

Hi Guys - the saga continues. I have PM'd Jo Carducci and he has requested close up photos and he will try and follow up. In response to the last few comments:
    benjwri - Yes it is the internal hex that is stripped. The threads were not damaged.
    andrew1972 - I did by a nut of these dimension, 25 x 8mm and it was too big
    Henry - I will take the nut to the hardware an see if I can match the internal thread so I have more information

Thanks to all for your replies. I will let you know how it goes.

16. sandgroper50

Hi Guys - Just an update. I have taken posted a photo of the nut for anyone that's curious. I filed a slot in the end of the nut as the hex was stripped so I could still use the guitar. Also took the nut to the hardware store to see if I could identify the thread and although 3/16" and M5 metric bolts were an near match in diameter the thread in the nut is a finer pitch than either of these bolt sizes. Joe Carducci will follow up when he gets back from the NAAM show.

IMG_1928.jpg

Ricochet likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice