Gretsch Electromatic!! Who knew?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by dmunson, Jul 8, 2019.

1. alan s

alan s Electromatic

Oct 4, 2016
    LINCOLNSHIRE UK
    Who knew?
    We did that's why we bought one
    I have a G5422TG and it is my favourite go to guitar,I also have a Les Paul copy (Vintage brand) a Squire Strat Affinity and a couple of Ibanez models but I always go back to my Gretsch Electro somehow.
    I just love the sound of the Gretsch and it's looks and playability,if I had to sell all my guitars and keep one, the G5422 would be the one

Charlie westside likes this.
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    yes! LOVE my 5120 and Electro-jet!!
    52B9CCB7-E927-40B7-952A-B13785A9F675.jpeg 9A194E89-E023-40C6-8991-623A7A9CCA2E.jpeg

Charlie westside and Parttime like this.
  4. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    865E88FE-26AD-4981-92CF-2798B52CC81E.jpeg
    I couldn’t be happier with a Gretsch.

5. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
  6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That’s a custom build dBridge.

jfassett likes this.
  7. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    The one you had on the Hotrod or another one, made for her?

Anyway - I didn't actually know how good these guitars are, but I knew they are good (before I bought her) and I knew they got better a few times since their introduction, the last major upgrade being made prior to the 2016 models.

And ... it still makes me happy. I come home from work, have spent like 8 hours on different trains, got made angry at the company trying and failing to run them, grab her, unplugged, just strum a few chords, look down in front of me and think "what a beauty!", as she really is one.

Charlie westside and new6659 like this.
  8. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I may have the country of origin wrong, but they were labled as 6120 and 6128 at GC, again, around 2002.
    I was not even aware of the 5xxx series at the time. I've been primarily a Fender player for the last 50+ years.

Charlie westside likes this.
  9. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    5420’s are definitely quality at an affordable price. Wouldn’t trade mine for a stock pro line. I’ve done too much work to it and when I’m finally done with all the upgrades it still won’t cost as much.

upload_2019-8-1_15-9-47.jpeg

10. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    You can find lots of good Electromatic reviews on the web, enough to pique your interest to go seek one out in a local shop and try one out for yourself and make up your own mind about them. My problem then is having to choose among all the great options.

I like these guys’ reviews, always entertaining

11. Thema Lrin

Thema Lrin Electromatic

Mar 16, 2017
    London
    I’m humble opinion, the Corvette (CVT) is the best bang for your buck in the electromatic line.
    Pop on a Bigsby Tuning Stabiliser and squishy spring, and it’s an awesome guitar.

I’ve had several Elextromatics over the years - worst experience was with a G5420. The wood, paint and pickups were excellent, but pretty much everything else was poor quality.
    The wiring was terrible, pots were on or off, the nut was grippy hollow plastic, and the bridge rattled like hell.
    I spent a fortune getting it brought up to standard, but by that time was so annoyed that I moved it on. The buyer got a great guitar, all fully sorted, I learned that the only advantage a G5420 has over a Streamline 2420 is Blacktop Filtertrons.
    If I conducted the experiment again, i’d buy the 2420 over the 5420 every time.

IMHO you have to be crazy to spend £900 on a new G5420 when you can pick up a used Annie or Tennessee Rose for not much more money.
    The difference in quality is a giant gulf, a massive leap. The G5420 is a good guitar, but not good enough for £900. Not good enough for £500 IMHO. There is still work for Gretsch to do to bring it up to standard for the price they’re asking.

audept likes this.
  12. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Electromatics have come quite a way since they were introduced, the 5120 i have was a good platform to mod and learn the way of the Gretsch. The pro jet followed, and has served me well, of course after i purchased mine, thats when Gretsch improved the line, even though i own a proline now, i wouldnt be opposed to another electromatic or even a streamliner, i think Gretsch's entry level guitars are nicer than other companies.

13. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I have a fixed bridge, so I can’t really comment on the tremolo, but my Electromatic G5422G-12 is a joy to play, after about a month or so of joining the club I am really enjoying it and consider it to be gig ready right off the shelf. It stays in tune well enough with the factory strings still. I have to retune when using a capo, but that is pretty typical. I really like the sound and feel of it. “The only time that seems too short is the time that I get to play”

14. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Ha! I knew! I love my 2 Prolines- the 6120 and the G400, but I love my electros too. Right now, a beat up 5191 is a favorite, and so is my 5420. I've never had a three pick up guitar though, and you're making me want one.

15. lwilliams

lwilliams Electromatic

Sep 7, 2011
    Athens, GA
    I bought my G5522DTCG in Dec. 2017.

I own several Custom Shop Fender and Custom Shop Gibson, PRS, and Martin guitars. Truthfully, I was not prepared to be impressed - just like the OP. However, there is nothing to complain about. I love the guitar. It holds up very well next to my much pricier guitars.

I refer to it as my "poor man's White Falcon". I keep toying with the idea of swapping the Blacktop FilterTrons for some TV Jones Classics. But, so far, I can't find a good reason to do it.

16. Wjensen

Wjensen Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a new (2018) 5420T, and it plays very nicely. I have not modified it at all, and it stays in tune when I use the Bigsby. It came set up properly as well. I have an Epiphone Les Paul that I had to take in for a set up. IMHO, Electromatics are a great value.

Wade

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice