Gretsch Electromatic!! Who knew?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by dmunson, Jul 8, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Gretsch wasn't really on my radar until I read a review of the 'new' Streamliner models 2-3 years ago. It was actually a case of 'budget creep' for me to end up with an Electromatic (rather than trying to 'save money' by not getting a Professional series).

My G5622T is really well made and set up, I wasn't keen on the sound of the standard pickups, but I factored an upgrade into the price. I'm really happy with the overall result now I've fitted TV Jones Classic/Classic Plus pair. Since I don't really use the tremolo there isn't any need for me to do any further mods/upgrades to the bridge or trem as it stays nicely in tune.

TV Jones fitted 2.jpg

It also sounds really great into this Marshall too (and superb into my Fender '64 Custom Deluxe reverb). When I first got it and before I changed the pick ups:
    Gretsch 008.jpg

Shroudy, Parttime, JC higgy and 7 others like this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's my fully mod'ed G5422T.
    It's not as great as my Jet 6131 but not far off with the mod's.

Considering the 5422, including all the mod's, cost me $1000 total it now sounds and looks like a $2000 guitar imo. And it was a far better guitar stock than anything made by Epiphone, Fender Squire or Ibanex or anybody else in the same price range.

[​IMG]

Parttime, JC higgy, thunder58 and 5 others like this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    I totally agree with the electomatics being awesome bang for buck guitars.

I bought my 6119, then the 6120SSL, then the penguin, back when I had a disposable money lol and thought if I'm buying the guitars I had on my wall when I was in school then I wan't going to skimp, but last year when I relocated interstate I left everything at my parents house, so instead of shipping one of the prolines I thought I'd use it as a good excuse to buy another not needed toy, and it just so happened a 5230T was on sale when I was looking for a few hundred dollars more then a used pro jet, so I bought it and like you was just so surprised at how well they are built for the money you pay, admittedly there are a few small dollar items that could use upgrading but other then that it will be getting quite a lot of playing time.

4. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I guess that makes them Proline Plus :D.

5. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Hear, hear.

And I don't underestimate the Electros at all. After struggling with a sole guitar for several years, if I had the bucks, I'd buy and old 5124 or 5127 at once. But, if I had even more bucks, I'd certainly go for another Proline. There's no absolute truth that will fit every situation.

loudnlousy likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Congrats for re-discovering the brand.

dmunson likes this.
  7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    ...and red is a great flavor!:);)

JC higgy likes this.
  8. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Gretschie

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    54C679E1-BD9A-42AA-B5C9-C86C7ABF07CC.jpeg I’ve had nine pro-lines and sold them all but I won’t sell my Electromatics!

Parttime, blueruins, Waxhead and 8 others like this.
  9. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Won't part with mine either. Best feel and sound I've ever had.

[​IMG]

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    How far back does the Electromatic name go? In the late '90s, the Gretsch resurgence had Synchromatics (16XX)and Electromatics (26XX), both names from Gretsch's past. I know both of these names go back much farther than that, and were quality guitars even then.

Charlie westside likes this.
  11. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Duane Eddy handle represent!

calebaaron666 likes this.
  12. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    V-cut... ALL THE WAY. If you're cool with drilling holes in it...

JC higgy likes this.
  13. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Can you please all of you stop that thread!
    There's an affordable (according to French standards) second-hand orange G5420T on show at Rome Instruments (Rue de Rome in Paris, 20 minute walk from home) and we're getting dangerously close to my birthday.
    That's too hot!

14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I knew! I have three, '12 5120, '04 5125, '08 Pro Jet, they're pretty customized though except the 5125.

blueruins and calebaaron666 like this.
  15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Take that 20 minute walk!

16. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    OK ! Thanks guys. I may just be late for the party (again) but having been a Gretsch lover since the 50's, it's great to see the brand come back in such a fluorish of style and ultimately enjoyable instruments. I have to admite to being taken in with Fender, mainly Strats, and several Les Pauls over the last decade or two, but I'm proud to have added these two, 5230 and 5622, to my family. And I really don't feel the need to expand to the Pro line. These models are giving me all the "Gretsch sound" that I can handle.

17. Wjensen

Wjensen Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    I agree. Gretsch Electromatics are excellent guitars and the best bang for the buck in guitars. And black top Filter'Trons sound very good.

18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    That red, white and chrome combo is just so perfect, JC!
    Love that Gretsch!!

JC higgy and Charlie westside like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice