Gretsch Electromatic!! Who knew?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by dmunson, Jul 8, 2019.

1. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I've had several gretches over the last 40 years, or so, and just got away from them for a while. Around 2002 I bought a couple of the Korean models (6120, 6128) and found them to be guitars. But my interests changed and I ended up letting them go. A mistake, I now realize.
    I stayed away from the Electromatic line, just not thinking they were the real thing.
    Years passed, and then early 2018 I sat down with a G5230T and was very pleasently surprised at both the build quality and the sound of those TB FilterTrons.
    So now, with eyes wide open, I went looking for another surprise. I found it hanging on the "used" wall at the local GC. It's a first generation G5622T (3 pickup/cat's eyes) and was apparently left in somebodies corner for the majority of it's five year life. It was very dusty, but virtually unplayed. Once I determined that the electronics all worked, I made an offer, and brought it home. And the versatility added by that middle pickup is astounding. It's another one hard to put down.
    So, was I alone or have the rest of you known about the Electromatic line all along?

Lionpotato, Yukimajo, DannyB and 6 others like this.
  2. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    You are so right. I resisted buying an Electro as well. The desire to have a Gretsch and the "in my price range" $$$'s
    helped me make the decision to buy one. I also became a happy owner of a G 5230. Wonderful guitar. Electros shouldn't be underestimated. Great guitars. Glad your enjoying both of yours

3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Electromatics are great . I had a great 5120 and sold it ( :( ) I'll need to do a NGD Thread sometime this week regarding this Electromatic IMG_2151.JPG

4. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Electromatic

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    I picked up a used Electromatic (G5125) in April and I absolutely love it.

[​IMG]

dak55, thunder58, Les Pedals and 5 others like this.
  5. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    Aren't the 6120 and 28 Japan?

Les Pedals, j.s.c and T Bone like this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, neither the 6120 or 6128 were made in Korea.

T Bone likes this.
  7. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I have a 5122 that has the best feel and action of the five Gretsch guitars I own. Moreover, has a better feel that the Gretsches I have tried that were "player series" and made in Japan. Ya never know what you're going to get, like a box of chocolates, ha!

Attached Files:

8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Electromatics are fabulous guitars! I absolutely love my red sparkle 5620. Congratulations on your 5622! We'd love to see pics.

9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I have one pro-line - a 6119 Tennessee Rose, and 2 Electromatics - a 5420, and a FSR 534TG 2 tone Pro Jet. I enjoy all my Gretsch guitars, and while there are differences between the Pro-line and the Electromatics, I still enjoy playing my Electromatics.

section2, Charlie westside and DannyB like this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The 5622v1 was my gateway drug onto gretsch. Still remains one of the more unique guitars in the Gretsch world. The pickups sound great (super, even) and the cat eye holes are just awesome.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well the 51 series E's were always great imo but Gretsch lifted them to a new level a few yrs ago with the 54 and 56 series E's.

I prefer the new Blacktop filtertron pups myself but these new 54 and 56 series E's are the best value for $$ mid priced guitars made today imo :)

section2 and Charlie westside like this.
  12. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Another Electromatic fan here (mainly because I can't afford a proline). My candy Apple Red 5420T is a thing of beauty. The flash has bleached out the colour a bit as it's actually closer to a metallic Tennessee Rose in reality.

[​IMG]

Wjensen, rob batz, thunder58 and 10 others like this.
  13. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Yes, those are Japanese built, "Pro Line" models, top of the line unless you go really major $ for U.S. Custom Shop guitars.

Gateway drug, great way to describe the Electromatics. Was writing this below yesterday when I was distracted...

I have an early 5420 Electromatic is Aspen Green (Korean, and my first Gretsch, the "gateway drug") and a Pro Jet 5435 (Chinese) in Surf Green (FSR for Riff City Guitars). Both fine instruments, but no equal to the Pro Lines of which I now have several.

My Electromatics both have "Black Top Filter'Trons" (I presume what the OP refers to as "TB Filter'Tron pickups"?). Good pickups, but I do prefer my High Sensitive Filter'Trons and TV Jones Classic and Setzer Filter'Trons on the Pro Lines.

Electros are a great bang for the buck guitar, certainly very cool and affordable way to enter the Gretsch ownership experience.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Henry likes this.
  14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I thought everyone knew?! The most recent Electros are awesome, better than PROLINE! :D

larryb, TW4990, JHowdy and 4 others like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Apparently, a lot of people knew.

It's the smartest thing Gretsch could've done---make their excellent guitars affordable to a wider group of musicians. For many, an Electro is perfect. Others might be inclined, after having one, to move up to a Pro Line.

dak55, JHowdy, Waxhead and 2 others like this.
  16. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    9071C39A-1F5E-4A4F-BA41-BB0C2DFA5428.jpeg I love my first Gretsch a 5420T....Fit, finish and playability are superb...I did upgrade pups to TV Classics and installed a roller bridge I had in my spare parts bin, which happen to have a matching 12 degree radius. For more responsive touch on the Bigsby, I put in a Reverend soft spring ( great $10 investment). This is such a comfortable guitar to play with a great neck profile..not to thick, not too thin. I put this guitar with my Gibson’s, mIA Fenders and other high end guitars I own. Lastly, it sounds great through my Princeton Reverb amp.

Wjensen, rob batz, thunder58 and 5 others like this.
  17. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I just bought a 2014 5422T last month,cause i always thought it looked cool,was thinking of V cut B6 and Super Trons,but i think i'm going to just leave it stock, as it plays well as is.
    The Black Top Filter's sound fine to me,i have other Filter's,vintage/HS/TVJ's ,so this is just another flavor in the mix.
    [​IMG]

Wjensen, thunder58, larryb and 6 others like this.
  18. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    looks awesome. Congrats. Enjoy

JC higgy likes this.
  19. sharps4590

sharps4590 Electromatic

I have two, a 5420T and a 5622T and I'd hate to have to choose between them. There's also a 2566T in the stable but it's a completely different beast and set up a lot different from the other two. It also doesn't get played nearly as much. The other is my Joe Pass Epiphone. Except for the lack of a Bigsby it plays as well but with a more hollow body sound.

P1010041 (2).JPG

P1010040 (2).JPG

JC higgy, rob batz, thunder58 and 5 others like this.
  20. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I have a G5420 Electromatic and a G2655 Streamliner and love them both. A friend of mine who has been playing for 55 years owns about 40 guitars, many of them high end. His go to guitar is a walnut G5422 with gold hardware.

A8D62421-74A9-4835-93FF-1D2C53688052.jpeg 63C131EE-3D33-475D-AA29-216CAB583F3B.jpeg

JC higgy, rob batz, thunder58 and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice