Gretsch 6196t Country Club - or - 6120 AM ?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by advid, Aug 8, 2018.

1. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    gretsches001.jpg ..thinking of buying (only) ONE of these (current models - not vintage) ....?

Both look beautiful - can't make my mind up....

Could anyone help me make a decision....
    sound - will it be the same great sound from both ?
    Any other differences that might make me go one way or the other ??

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Andrew Griffin likes this.
  2. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I absolutely love those blondes. They're the bees knees! Prefer it over the CC because of that beautiful flame.

3. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    If just choosing one, I'd go for the G6120AM, as I think it's a little better of an all-around guitar for different styles of music.

The different scale length is another factor I'd advise considering. I for one love my Club (albeit with Dynasonics) and have owned + borrowed some amazing Chets over the years, but above all playing a Falcon or Club with the longer scale alongside a G6120 to compare might be advisable. And although it may not make too much of a difference to you, acoustic response can be a bit different as well...different harmonics and the like being the result, all the more amplified by both being a big resonating box in your hands ;)

audept and JC higgy like this.
  4. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    They say, "Blondes have more fun".

johnny g likes this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Ya gotta play them both,if ya can,there is a difference between the scale lengths ,i get along with both ,but if pushed to choose,i prefer the 6120 scale .

Oh but a Caddy green Club would be lovely to have!:cool:

turbo2000 likes this.
  6. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    Which one is your favorite.... advid?

7. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Both are gorgeous, but I'd probably get the 6120 because of scale as Ando and JCH mentioned.

8. Filtertronico

Filtertronico Electromatic

Aug 26, 2014
    Germany
    The current CC comes with TV Jones PUs and has a 17' body, made of laminted maple...The space control bar does its job,havent had any issues with it...its a big but great and versatile guitar,very nice neck and also very good for jazz tones, if that matters to you...But it growls and rocks as well!The 6120 has a smaller body (16'). different scale and is probably lighter (at least my 6120 DSW is) and not sure what PUs it has...stock filtertrons?

9. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Both would look good on stage. The diff is the sound for you. If both were even in sound I go with blonde 6120AM. I am a sucker for blondes.

10. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    For me, there's no question.... However choose the one that speaks to you.

[​IMG]

11. turbo2000

turbo2000 Gretschie

Aug 18, 2015
    Sweden
    I LOVE the Cadillac Green color... but that blonde is beautiful too.
    The diciding factor for me would be the shorter scale of the 6120.

12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    To me the amber maple looks like it needs a transfusion!

13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Arent they different sizes? 6120 is deeper but 16" rather than 17" on the 6196

Edit: actually, the 6196 may just be wider.

14. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    .....I used to have a Country Club back in the 70's but my Gibson 175 took over and I did prefer the slightly shorter scale of the neck (I've got shortish fingers)... so - perhaps the AM or even a good old standard orange 6120 might be the way to go....?

15. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    It's a tough problem to confront. I'd have to go with the Country Club because of the gorgeous color- and because I've got a 6120 and so 'd be interested in hearing the differences between the two guitars. Also, some people say the CC does good "jazz tones" and I'd like to see if I can find them.

16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Of course, there is always one of these LTD run Caddy Green 6120's!:cool:

Great if ya like Caddy green but not the longer scale of the Club.

[​IMG]

turbo2000 likes this.
  17. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    .....wow..that would be just ideal.....how many of these were made and what date(s) were they around...

turbo2000 likes this.
  18. abeauch

abeauch Electromatic

Sep 8, 2011
    Messines, Québec
    (aLLÔ ADVID! Here is a previous post from me for your info)

additional remark: due to the spuce top, my 6196T (SAME AS ON YOUR PICTURE, not the recent release) weighs 100g less than the 6120 despite bigger overall size (width, depth, scale) and additional hardware (standby swithch and wiring)

I had a 6120 (2004) and then the 6196T (2010) a few years later. Always wanted that one for the spruce top, the scale, the zero fret (what's good for Django should be good for me...) and the non-blingy but upper-class looks. But finally, the revelation was THE SOUND. Maybe a combination of the said factors plus a bigger box, but it left the 6120 collecting dust (gave it to my brother). I rarely play in public but once, I played alone for a 100 person audience and some non-player guy told me that my guitar "sounded like an organ", then on another gig with a very good male singer, this girl comes to me and says that "your guitar just signs!". THE SOUND also means versatility which for me is going from classical, to a bit of jazz and sometimes more rocky tunes.

Also among the pluses: excellent tuning stability, overall build quality including flawless resistance to the wild humidity changes in my lakeshore house (up to 80% in the summer) located in Québec (down to 30% in the winter). In the end and after tweaks (see below), very smooth action (although my 6120 remains unbeated for that, maybe because of lower tension on strings due to shorter scale).

Nothing beiing perfect: as opposed to gypsy jazz guitars the zero fret on the CC was higher than the others for no rational reason, making the action uselessy less comfortable on the first frets. Had that fixed by my luthier. Other bug: the standby switch is a source of little to moderate hum when off. Removed the whole circuit which proved to be entierly correct to the TVJ-Gretsch diagrams, reheated some solders that looked cold a bit, but nothing to do. I finally decided to simply ignore that switch whose real utility was questionnable anyway.

Very sorry to see that the recent version has no more zero fret and a thinner body. I rehearse acousticly frequently with my big box.

I took the time to write and translate all this just because I plainly love her.

abeauch

Henry and tartanphantom like this.
  19. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    If I could give you a +1000, I would.

I have around 40 guitars, including over a dozen Gretsch models. However, my spruce-top 6196T is absolutely "top of the heap."
    A bandmate was just remarking at practice last night-- he can't get over how much natural bottom end this guitar has, and how the sound literally blooms out of the instrument... and yet the Filtertrons provide that top-end clarity and sparkle at the same time.

I'm one of those that actually prefers the longer scale and the zero-fret, but then I don't exactly have a small hand-reach. Some folks just can't handle the longer scale; and that's OK too. Finding what works best is only going to encourage you to play the instrument of your choice even more.