Join Gretsch-TalkToday

Gretsch 6120 from 1964 Original pickguard?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by junk, Jun 12, 2012.

1. junk

junk Electromatic

2. SASouth

SASouth Gretschie

I would say that the pick guard is not from a '64. All of the pictures that I've seen on the internet of '64 6120 with pickguards do not have Nashville on them.

I once had a '66 that didn't have Nashville on the pickguard though and a '67 that did. With Gretsch from back then, you never know what to expect.

From what I can see the guitar looks pretty nice even if the pickguard is a replacement. I can't see any binding rot and it's got a cowboy case too!

Something that looks odd to me is that the auction description appears to me to be written in German. Isn't the eBay listing on Spanish eBay? (I can't read either language, unfortunately.)

3. junk

junk Electromatic

Hi Sasouth

Only in german
    It seems to me too many expensive..

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. SASouth

SASouth Gretschie

That might be a bit too expensive for the US. Germany? I'm not sure. I don't know what the going rate for them is over there.

It looks very clean and condition is everything.

6. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

I think the pickguard is completely correct... and may just be one of the earliest "Nashville" guards made. This guitar is actually a very late 1965 model year example, and not much later the 1966 feature package was introduced (black mute felt, Nashville guard and headstock plaque). I'd be more skeptical but the Ebay specimen is in a very late batch, which makes it possible.

7. junk

junk Electromatic

Wayne, but serial nr 76xxx is from 1964 , isn't?
    I never seen a "nashvile" pickguard on '64 6120

8. Wayne Gretschzky

No... if you check pot codes and track these long enough you'll find that anything much over #65000 is 1965, and anything over #77000 is 1966 model year, which is why this Ebay guitar is plausible to me, as it's so very close to the transition to '66 (and the Nashville features). The fact that the '63-'65 features on the 6120 are identical make it less obvious than with other model years, and the Gretsch serial number history has been off for decades, and only now becoming more clear.

9. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Wayne's right on this one. It's an extremely early--probably amongst the first--6120 pickguards to have "Nashville" on them. Also note that when the "Nashville" bit came about the word "Gretsch" went from embossed clear to black on the guards.

It seems highly improbable that this guitar would have everything else in order, including a white cowboy case, and a changed pickguard that is perfect for those that are known to be just a couple of hundred serial numbers later.

By the way I have #76744 and it has the standard mid-60s guard.

10. SASouth

SASouth Gretschie

I'm not doubting anything said in previous posts. I just would like to point out that Gretsch pickguards have been known to crack and break. I've seen several. It could have been replaced simply for that reason.

11. Wayne Gretschzky

Lots of scenarios are possible... but the question was "does this guitar's pickguard fit the era of the guitar?". At least a couple of us think it does. Could it have been changed at some point? Sure... but it's just not obvious by looking at it.

12. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Someone bought it. It went for a chunk of money too.