Gretsch 5622T - help me decide what to do

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by bruceville, Feb 1, 2020.

1. bruceville

bruceville Electromatic

Dec 20, 2019
    Ventura, CA
    Got a Korean 5622T in vintage orange for Christmas but it has been in the shop ever since for warranty repair. Needs a new neck pickup but Fender finally told me they have a new company making these and they don't know when they'll be able to source one (weeks, months....)

They offered me a few options (since I can't return to original store)-
    -replace guitar with something comparable in price (or maybe a little more if in reason) I assume they only have the Chinese versions now
    -maybe use a different pickup (from new Chinese version I assume)

What would you do?

2. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Is that the one with the Blacktop Broad'trons?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Super HiLo’ Trons were in the Korean 5622’s like mine. A very sought after pickup almost impossible to to find.....Even for Gretsch I guess.

Mine, now traded in

5F316633-9D02-4DD3-905F-7E37F96028E7.jpeg

Rusty Silver and new6659 like this.
  4. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    I have trouble understanding this. Was this a new or used guitar? Assuming it's a Blacktop Broadtron they have a factory using them on at least 2 current models I can think of off the top of my head. Did they run out and shut down a line in the factory? Couldn't they substitute a Blacktop Filtertron in the neck? I'd be way beyond irritated by now. Will they just refund your money?

5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

They are Super HiLo’Trons, I’m pretty sure? Kinda unobaineum......Now

6. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
  7. bruceville

bruceville Electromatic

Dec 20, 2019
    Ventura, CA
    I got a good deal on guitar so hoping to keep guitar. Was considering either asking them if the have any of the Korean models left in stock and otherwise just asking for a Black Top Broad’Tron for neck pickup. Maybe they can send me a hilotron if they every get back in stock.

8. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Now knowing yours has SHLT's I'm not sure you wouldn't always be disappointed in a BroadTron. There's always some on Ebay/Reverb. Maybe they would pony up the 110 or so bucks it would take to buy one and reimburse you for the inconvenience. That's a stretch I know. The SHLT are WAY more Gretschy.

section2 likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yea, the SHLT have been discontinued. Your options are probably the blacktops or the BTs.

10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Ask for a partial refund and put it towards some TV Jones Pickups.

jfassett, Aymara, section2 and 2 others like this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    This^^

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    And sell me your DC SHT pickup set ! :rolleyes::D

A+!

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. bruceville

bruceville Electromatic

Dec 20, 2019
    Ventura, CA
    Not a bad idea. Would you mind sending me link for the TV Jones pickup I’d want to get?

14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I like TV Jones pickups but I’m not an expert on them. You might wanna start a new thread asking for input regarding TV Jones pickups and let people know what pick up you were trying to match it to, the Super HiLo’Tron.

15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    TV Jones makes their own version of classic style singlecoil Hilotrons.
    If it were me, I’d replace both pickups with TV’s.
    Go to their website and browse around.

Aymara likes this.
  16. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Good advice here. I'd agree that you should try to swap the guitar for another Korean 5622, or ask for a partial refund and put the money towards either a TV Jones pickup or a SuperHilotron sourced from eBay. I think most people wouldn't be satisfied with a Blacktop Broadtron as a replacement: the SuperHilotrons are really nice pickups, with a very different voice.

For what it's worth: my 5620T came stock with a SuperHilotron at the neck and a Blacktop Filtertron at the bridge, and it's a great combo. If all else fails, your guitar might sound good with the same combo in reverse. On the other hand, I think the SuperHilotron is especially well-suited to the neck, and the BT FT is especially good in the bridge.

17. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I would contact TV Jones and ask for recommendations:

https://tvjones.com/

I myself would choose TV Jones Classics, which I have in my Falcon ... for my taste much better than any stock pickups in Electromatics.

Maybe also search Youtube for sound samples like this:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    33Jayman and radd like this.
  18. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The TV Jones idea isn't bad, but...

If I really wanted the super hilo's, I'd either return the guitar for a full refund and stalk reverb for another 2017/28 Vintage Orange (there are few there now) and/or I'd launch a WANTED post on this forum and "the other" Gretsch forum for a neck Super Hi'Lo. I imagine someone who bought a 5622 swapped them out for something else and may want to part with one or two. Just as likely, someone with a 3 pup version pulled the center pup which (on mine) looks exactly like the neck pup.

19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Good idea

There is one located in Santa Cruz at Sylvan music, they are on Reverb. It was my guitar. It is perfect and has a Gretsch hard shell case, unless they used the case for another guitar. I have no financial interest in the guitar, Sylvan owns it now. I have been buying from Sylvan for about 50 yrs. Good store. By the way, that is a Proline case specifically for thin lines.

here it is at my house
    9368CCC2-BFA8-4641-9FEA-5D409ED654A0.jpeg

new6659 likes this.
  20. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    I have a Pro Jet that was a special run for Sweetwater. It has a Blacktol Filter'Tron in the bridge, and one of the DC Super HiLo'Trons in the neck. I'm considering swapping out the pickups on it, and if I do, I suspect I'll get a pretty good offer for that HiLo'Tron. I love my 3-pickup original edition 5622T. One of these days, I'll get a black one or a red one to go with the green I have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice