Great wiring, ideal for sculpting your tone

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by j.s.c, May 16, 2019 at 6:47 AM.

1. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Hi people of the G world,

I would like to share my last wiring mods... Indeed I have this babe (6190) which has been modded with a second pickup, but as this is a traditional tone pot guitar the 2 originals pots (vol and tone) had to change jobs.

-First the additions linked to the second pickup :
    .Addition of a master volume pot
    .A pickup switch

-Then how to use the original pots ?
    Individual volumes would have been an issue for tone the trebles down... Two individual tone pots is more than required.

Here is the last release and I'm really really happy with all the features it offers :
    1- A traditional tone pot (treble cut) with 250kOhm pot + 444kF which give a very nice jazzy tone
    2- A bass cut 250kOhm pot + 1500pF to scuplt the amount of bass
    3- A push/pull 250kOhm for master volume with the option to pull = bypass the tone pots described above.
    4- A miniswitch under the pickguard to phase/outphase the both pickups position.

Great ! A tone of great tones !

wiring 2019.jpg

Miniswitch IMG_2974.JPG

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 5:43 AM
    CousinWarsh, section2, Henry and 4 others like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Love it. That’s how you wire up a guitar!

3. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Btw, on those Dearmond style pickups guitars, bypassing the tone stack => crazy good booster of your volume

section2 likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’m surprised you used a 250k pot for the MV. I reckon you don’t like icepicks to the ear. Did you try other values?

5. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Trust me these Dearmonds from the 50 are full of trebles (even in this case even with the 3x 250k).

Btw here are my personnal's experiences conclusions :
    1/ the master volume value count (2/3 for the master vs 1/3 for the tone)
    2/ the overall value of all the circuit has to be taken into account (which leaks both trebles and volume).

That is to say that with 1 master and 2 tone pots (the bass cut isn't leaking to ground vs the traditional treble cut pot), the global charge in // you'll have to divided the global ohmage 500/3=166kOhms.

I tried 3pots 500k and my ears are still bleeding... 250k is more balanced. Btw, I could bypass the tone pots and then be direct 250kOhms master volume to jack = twice volume & trebles compare to the std 3 500k pots config.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice work. It’s hard to believe they used 1M pots for these at one time. Of course amps were all about mids back then. :)

j.s.c likes this.
  7. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Yes but 1MOhms pots have to balance the double stacked tone pot ... which is leaking a lot compare to normal one. Btw these stacked tone pot are very cool tone wise as they're providing a great equilibrium at the middle of the pot course, actually a great spot for playing std tunes. Thus you can have more treble on one side, more bass on the other (these aren't just treble cut pot).+.+.+.

It came to me without the original tone pot, so the picture is from another guitar. Volume sucker (compensated by the use of 1MOhms pots) but nice tone ajustement capabilities !
    original tone pot 02.JPG

Ricochet likes this.
  8. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I have brang her to the band yesterday... Even with the 250k there are too much trebles I had to roll off 50% of tone pot not to be over present while playing the bridge pickup.

Just to say that WITH SINGLE COILS (very true with dyna or P90), multiplication of pots is the main factor when talking of output volume and trebles in the mix. Just listen to the people in <3 with thier Jr P90 Gibson's models (with a single pickup and 2 pots).

I also know this rule is not as effective with humbuckers... but still true.

Of course, more volume and more trebles aren't the graal by itself, my other 6120 has the dyna std wiring which tan the sound very beautifully, and I don't want to change that for more volume output.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 9:37 AM
    Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice