Great deal on an SG today...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by T Bone, Mar 8, 2019.

1. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Not buying myself, and not affiliated, but Musician's Friend has another fantastic Deal Of The Day.

They are offering a 2018 Gibson SG Special with Mini Humbuckers and a gig bag for $549. The pic shown is a different color, but the offering currently is for one in Satin Cherry. Great deal for a quality, Nitrocellulose finished American made guitar!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?source=3GOA5A9A

Why am I not buying? Just bought a 2018 SG Standard 3 weeks ago. And I have a Firebird with Mini Humbuckers. Otherwise, I'd be ordering!

Waxhead likes this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Deal seems to be replaced by a Fostex HD recorder now. That was a sweet deal on the SG special. Basicly SG Faded money.

T Bone likes this.
  3. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Must be they sold out, too bad.

Actually, it still shows as available for me.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Weird, it shows up for me now. Maybe my browser read an old page from cache.

5. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    showing me a les paul standard. how many times a day does this deal of the day change. i was looking at SGs on reverb this afternoon.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    yea ... shows a Les Paul also

7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’m not a fan of those lower rung SGs. They just aren’t the same/as good as the real thing. Standards are of a totally different caliber and worth waiting/saving for if you want an SG.

englishman and T Bone like this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I let go of an early 80s olympic white SG that had turned banana creme w crazing all through the nitro.. it was so tele thunk lish

TSims1 and T Bone like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    There's nothing like them . I missed my chance in '77 to buy my friend Adams SG . But I did one better . A friend of my sister's had lost her 5 year old brother James Christopher ( JC as he was known to the families ) in a house fire a few years before around 1973 . There first Christmas , the other brother Micheal just wanted an electric guitar so I surprised him with one that Christmas . Oh Micheal thought it was gold . As a few more years passed we both got older , me 17 and Micheal about 14 . Adam was selling the SG and I brought Micheal to look at it , the SG and the amp all for $650 back in '77 . I brought Micheal home and he was so excited to tell his father and asked his father to buy it for him . Micheals father sucker punched him in the chest and said " what the hell did you ever do to deserve an electric guitar " ... I remember it like it was yesterday . The father was an abusive alcoholic who even blamed the wife for the fire and losing JC . Anyway ..... somehow the father bought the SG and amp for Micheal . Micheal loved music and performing in bands in the local bars around town . Micheal passed away about 3 years ago from rheumatiod arthritis . His sister holds dear the " red " guitar today that became part of Micheals soul ..... and one of my fondest memories of life .
    Thanks @TSims1 Tony for sparking that memory . Micheal was " the real thing "

T Bone, blueruins, audept and 3 others like this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

You are a good dude brother. A real stand up cat.

thunder58 likes this.
  11. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

On regular Stupid deal of the day days, they stay all day unless they run out, if they do then they put up another product.

Well certainly not in the league with the Standards (I just bought one 3 weeks ago), but for $529? Awesome deal. FWIW, my SG Special Tribute model with P90s and a faded finish is a wonderful guitar. I got a similar price on it about 7 years ago, when they were typically selling for $600+.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Be careful, SG's are devious.........

T Bone likes this.
  13. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Same for me. I need to turn on the VPN and coming to the site from a USA server. Then I saw the regular Stupid Deal of the Day (which by my time is a Gibson Firebird).

T Bone and Ricochet like this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    thanks ..... right back at ya T

15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  16. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I have to say, my 1974 SG is a completely different guitar to the modern version. Not sure when it happened, but the newer ones don't feel (or sound) ANYTHING like mine.

IMG_0027.jpg

T Bone likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice