Got to play and it was so cool!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by CousinWarsh, Feb 10, 2019.

1. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    So I play at home. Like stuck in the basement. For the last few months I’ve got this willy to get out of the house, meet people, see if I can really make that sound or what. I’ve met some other guitar players and nothing really clicked. Went on the local CL and answered an ad for a band looking for a rhythm guitar player. They invited me out, said there was another guy coming in a hour or so and let’s try these songs. 3 hours later the other guy never showed and I hung the whole time. I had a blast! And most of it sounded pretty good. I don’t know if they’ll have me back, they said there was another guy trying out next week, but that was just too much fun. I just got home a half hour ago and can’t stop smiling. You guys who get to do this all the time are lucky. I can’t wait to get out again!

2. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    congrats on your adventure. stay positive and good things will come.

benjwri, CousinWarsh and Lionpotato like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The best thing about music is sharing it with others.

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Playing in a band is the payoff. I hope it goes well for you.

5. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats on getting out there and playing. If they take on someone else just keep on searching or jamming. Playing with others definitely fine tunes your playing and can help lead to progression as well.

6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    That’s awesome! Best feeling in the world is playing music with other people. That’s the only reason I even bother with guitar!

Seriously, if for some reason this isn’t meant to be, and it felt great, find another band! You only live once!

7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Glad you got out there and had some fun . If you want to meet others with your similar interest you could try joining this perfectly safe site ( and it's absolutely free ) It's called Meet-Up.com www.meetup.com
    Whatever your hobby or interest , it's probably there . When joining a particular group , you'll be notified of the " meet up " through your email . I'm on 3 music meet up groups . And if not , you can start your own meet up group ( but that's where it cost you ) I organize a kayak meet up group in my area . I have over 150 members on the list ( but not everyone shows up ) Great way to meet others of similar interest

Merc, benjwri and CousinWarsh like this.
  8. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Congrats on putting yourself out there and going for it. It sounds like it was a great experience for you, I hope they call and you get the gig.

benjwri and CousinWarsh like this.
  9. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Hope you get the gig -- sounds like you really had fun.

I know it's a case of different strokes for different folks, and that personal circumstances or preferences can dictate whether a person plays out or just plays at home, but I am absolutely useless as a 'home alone' player unless I'm just working on something I need to learn for the band. In the past, during periods when I've not been in a band, I'd find myself taking a guitar out of its case, strumming a couple of meaningless chords, thinking "hmm, nice guitar" -- and putting it away again. Pathetic, really!

I first got into a band at 17 (I'm now an old git of 74), and gigging with the other guys is more important to me than ever -- and they've all become good pals. At my age I've got to focus on something to keep my fingers and what passes for a brain from seizing up. Currently we do about 30 band gigs a year, plus a few more for a little guitar/bass/vocals trio doing old standards and ballads at very small gigs. That's enough to keep me happy these days.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    CousinWarsh and calebaaron666 like this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Nice

11. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Awesome! Hope you hear from them. Sounds like a great experience.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Just don't sign up for Meat up.com by mistake:D

larryb, calebaaron666 and thunder58 like this.
  13. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Awesome. Glad to hear it was a great experience.

14. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Never heard of it and sounded suspiciously like a hook up site, googled and legit. Thanks.

I was afraid to google this one. It’s a legit food site in the UK that also sells chocolate fondue. While googling I saw some definitions. One in particular was a bit odd and not for me. Will refrain from further comment.

wildeman and thunder58 like this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    LOL.... yea , it does sound like a hook-up sight ...LOL There's so many activities that a person could join . Like I said I organize a kayak group . It's called the Harriman / Monksville Kayak Group ... check it out . It cost me about $20 a month to be the orginizer , but joining my group ( or any ) is free . Really wish there was a Chess group in my area , dying to play again ...it's been years

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice