Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Good QUIET rockabilly amp for home use ?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by samdevos, Sep 10, 2017.

1. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Blues Cube Stage with your choice of tone capsule to get the voice/eq you want. The Ultimate Blues Tone Capsule is reportedly rather blackface, while the New York Blues Tone capsule is a Vox AC30 voice.

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    They wouldnt be using anything made off shore, never naaaah. AND here's the godfather of rockabilly ..what was he usin?

pre-elvis:
    [​IMG]

with Elvis:
    [​IMG]

MKunie and russmack like this.
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Without meaning to get too deep about it, could it be that the guitar tones we have been educated to believe as "good tone" were created with old tube technology. Ordinary solid state technology simply doesn't have the subtle nuances of tone that emulate vacuum tubes so we don't hear it as being as good. It's a perception of tone.

CAVEAT: I have never been in the presence of a Kemper (or facsimile) so I know little about them.

However, the prices I have seen for them are not inexpensive. One could easily seek the attention of an awesome tube amp for less money and I think many players do.

PS: I own several good sounding solid state amps.

NJDevil likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ah Tony, you've seen the big elephant in the room. :)

Listen to some greats(on record or live) and they sound fabulous! But do they really? Sure their playing is extraordinary, but if you were to isolate the track and listen to the amp and guitar tone, does it still sound good?

If you have followed the Supro thread. Is that really considered good tone? Or is it simply good cause it sounds like Pagey, or our '60/70s record collection?

Yes I think it is partly programming. Or in your words education.
    Like we've learned there are 12 notes in an octave, and anything deviant usually sounds off, to our ears.

That's my short response. :)

Henry likes this.
  5. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    Naaah... they had little options back then.

Henry likes this.
  6. afire

afire Country Gent

The point isn't what they would have used in an alternate universe had Peaveys and Kempers been available. It's what they did use to make the sounds that we love. And if that's the tone your chasing, then you can't do better than a good old tweed tube amp. Home-built Champ still gets my vote.

TSims1 and panhead6zero like this.
  7. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    LuthersKit.jpg Luther Perkins Tone master....

MKunie, JCW513 and TSims1 like this.
  8. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    60 years ago, they wouldn't have had to ask what gear to use, because the options were few and the budget was the deciding factor.

Always makes me chuckle when "you yanks" - meant with affection - talk about Voxes and the sound of the British Invasion...
    Fact is, this side of the pond, we (more to the point, my Dad's generation) couldn't get hold of American gear, because of the import ban, so it was Vox or something the size of a sideboard that didn't sound that great. Marshalls were a few years down the line.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    MTurner, Rikki Ericson and TSims1 like this.
  9. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I get that but the sound you re listening to isn't an amp in a room like your amp. It is an amp in an old building, using old mics, old cables, mixing boards, the record printing technology at that time and the quality of your record player , receiver and speakers/headphones. The guitar and amp are only two components in the thousands of components that brought that old sound to our ears.

10. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Whew. Great point. And you're right.

11. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I spent 21 years in the Air Force, on the flightline and flying C130s. Military firearms training and I work in a Dyno Lab.... Soo, my hearing is not the best. GIVEN THAT, I still cannot comfortably play (too loud), my Champ 600 above 7 or 8 on the guitar with the Amp volume at 12. Yes, it goes to 12! I am playing in a 10' x 12' room. So if quiet and quality are the objective, I am sticking with the Champ 600/Gretsch 5222. Still has enough volume for a small room or coffee shop but nice fidelity at lower volumes.

russmack and wabash slim like this.
  12. JayAy

JayAy Electromatic

Jul 24, 2017
    MD
    If you got the cash, the ToneKing Imperial Mkii has a pretty great attenuator built in. I live in a townhouse, and I can dial it back so the neighbors don't complain and it still sounds great - minimal tone loss.

13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    And then the Shadows and the Beatles and many others, created a new sound as an offshoot of American rock and roll. It was great music and was played on Vox amps. When we learned to love the music, de facto, we learned to love the sound. So, now Vox amps sound good.

That the recording equipment was primitive would have been a factor in the early music. By the time the 60's had wrapped up professional recording equipment sounded pretty darn good. I think it's safe to say the gear in the signal chain was sufficiently high quality to distinguish subtle shades and textures.

That said, it can still be claimed that the sounds that live in our heads would be primarily "produced" sounds (or "over-produced" if it's Phil Spector...lol)

I had this brought home to me in spades when I (re-) discovered that "perfect" guitar sound that lived in my head was actually a Traynor YBA-1, that incredible tube amp I grew up with.

So much of our perfection is what we believe it to be.

14. afire

afire Country Gent

Sure, no amp (or guitar, or anything else) will make you sound exactly like any particular record. But it's one of the two largest components. If you want to make those sounds, then getting a similar amp is a fine starting point. And after all, that's what this thread is about.

15. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    Hmmm, have you ever tried to record a twelve string? It's an absolute *****. Listen to the studio recording of 'The Song Remains the Same' off of 'Houses of the Holy', then listen to the live version from the film.
    Studio sounds can be absolutely pants. even with Mr. Page's production skills. I know which version I'd rather sound like. But I don't. I just don't..... :)

16. JCW513

JCW513 Electromatic

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    I have 3 Vintage 47 amps and I love them. Also Tavo's amps look really nice. Swarts seem nice as well. I wouldn't go for a solid state amp. Go for something based on a 40s or 50s circuit.

GVDobler likes this.
  17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Synchromatic

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Vox AC4HW or Marshall Class 5 (combo or head+cab) are my favorites for this type of use so far if you're into the British side of things amp-wise. I've got a 10-ish watt custom build based on a silverface VibroChamp that does the job for me breakup/saturation wise w/o ear plugs w/ a more Fender-y sound but the builder added a gain stage to it and it's still pretty clean until you get above normal conversational volume levels.

I'm not really going for traditional rockabilly sounds most of the time though...

You're not joking about that AC4HW1. It's got amazing responsiveness and dynamics, great chimey cleans, and I prefer the top boost sound on it to any of the Vox's I've owned (AC15C1, AC30CCH stack, AC4C1-12 w/ Red Fang). It seems to record pretty great for me too. I got mine at a virtual steal but it is worth the difference in price IMO at their usual cost.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  18. JD10

JD10 Electromatic

Nov 19, 2016
    UK
    How about a Blackstar HT1.

1 Watt, but plenty loud enough for home use or practice. You can pick them up in the UK second hand on the online auction sites for around £100. I think they are only around £200 new.

zebulon likes this.
  19. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Where did OP go?

emicad likes this.
  20. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy