Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Good QUIET rockabilly amp for home use ?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by samdevos, Sep 10, 2017.

1. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
    it's been a pain voor so long ....

So you finally bought a tube amp . But then it blow your ears out a volume 3 :D .

I own a gretsch sslvo an played many different tube amps :

fender super sonic ( best sound at low volume but still to loud )
    fender deluxe reverb ( to loud ) .
    fender pro junior III ( to loud thin sounding and very shrill like treble was set on 1 or 2 with my sslvo)
    roland blues cube hot ( good but very dead eq ) mine was at 0.5 watt setting( so that quiet i need :) :) )

and then i currenly use an amplifi 75 which is great option for home use . but i want to have the feel of tube amps sometimes you know my gretsch doesnt sound cristal clear on those moddeling amps.lack of sustain etc...

So what tube amp can i set at breaking point without blowing windows out :p

btw what amp uses this guy in the vid i like the sound . you can see in in the left corner .

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That looks like a Toneking Imperial. Not a particularly quiet amp haha!

TSims1 likes this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Why not an old silverface VibroChamp or Bronco with a dirt box in front of it? Or a Vox ac4 or 10?

wildeman likes this.
  4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    VOX AC4C1-12 and if you can afford it, retrofit a Celestion Blue (CB). I used AC30s/15s for decades, but my AC4HW1 w/CB gives me the sound of the bigger amps, at much lower decibels.

untitled.png untitled2.png

Lizardkinged and englishman like this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Swart. Yes, a Swart. Nothing else.

6. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    Check out the 'Mooer Little Monster BM (for bassman)'. It's a 5w all valve head and has killer sound. You can then use a speaker you already have, or buy one specially to tune the sound further. I have one on my shopping list. They also make an AC version for a Vox sound.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  7. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Maybe look for a tube amp with power scaling, like the Milkman One Watt Plus (is actually 10 watts that can be dialled down to something like .5). Or the original Tone King Falcon that has built in attenuator. How about a Quilter?

Lizardkinged likes this.
  8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Try a 12AY in place of the 12AX7 it will give you more sweep with the volume knob. Amp will have less gain.

MotorCentaur and J Bird like this.
  9. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Just realized you don't have a tube amp yet oops. Well in that case I would get Mesa Boogie TransAtlantic 15 since I have one 5 watts to 15 to sort of 25. Tons of tone Fender clean, box AC

wabash slim likes this.
  10. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Won't let me edit on my phone app. Vox A.C., Mesa, pseudo Marshall. Plenty loud andf plenty quiet. The 12AY tube suggestion was for Fender like my pro reverb etc

11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    It is a thorny problem as tube amps and rockabilly tend to be energetic.

IMHO the best "small" tube amp out there on the commercial market is the Vox AC10. It has a master volume and reverb and seriously sounds good, even at low volumes. Many of the good folk on Gretsch Talk own these and the praise is high.

Another option I use is a Phaez mini-Corona. It is a hand made, point to point tube amp able to use a single 6V6, 5881, 6L6 or EL-34, interchangeably and without re-biasing. It's output is between 7-11 watts depending on the output tube. It is a Fender type sound.

Although individually hand made it is very affordable. The chassis, without cabinet or speaker, is about $500 Canadian or about 340 Euro. Drop a sweet little 10" Eminence Copperhead into a box and you are looking at a very sweet sounding lightweight that won't break the bank.

Phaez amps have a sterling reputation. BTW, I have no interest in the company other than owning four of their amps.

Phaez mini Corona.JPG Phaez mini Corona back.JPG

12. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Agree!

13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Or a tweed champ clone, you could build one from a kit too.

14. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That was exactly my first thought. Tweed is the sound of rockabilly, a Champ is the smallest tweed, and the most economical, fun and rewarding way to get a good quality tweed Champ is to build it yourself.

Marsh kits are the ones I always suggest for first-timers. Unlike some others, they come with good instructions and, more importantly, support.
    http://store.marshamps.com/product_...ducts_id=28&osCsid=g8p3p6i8a90u8aen9jk768opm0

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Is price an issue? If not, look into an Electra or a Vintage 47. 5-10 watts is all you need for home use. Tweed Champ kit makes a lot of sense as well.

Joe90 likes this.
  16. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
    this just flew into my brain
    what if a buy a kemper profiler with the bassman 62 profile ? would it be that simple ?
    Profiling brian setzers amp and share?

17. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    If you want to crank a tube amp at home even 0,5 Watt might be too loud. And even with a very good attenuator low volumes just sound different than high volumes. The Kemper might do the trick. I don't have any experience with those. You could also look at a pedal to emulate a particular amp. The Catalinbread Formula 5F6 comes to mind.

18. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    This. This is my setup as well, and it's great at lower volumes.

ZackyDog likes this.
  19. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I'd buy an attenuator. Then you can just own whatever amp you want to afford in the future.

I've got 2 of them. Also have 2 Eminence speakers with built in mechanical attenuation.

I'd also +1 the AC4C1-12.

If you wanted to spend spend, get a 5e3.

emicad likes this.
  20. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    A tweed champ is bloody loud when cranked hard enough to break up. :-D In my experience of course, but that was with a strat. And the new reissues are a completely stupid price too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    MotorCentaur likes this.