Good god! Awesomeness......

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by wildeman, Mar 9, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    My sister just turned me onto this!!!
    Enjoy.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    That was sofa king cool! Thanx for that!

T Bone likes this.
  4. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Blimey, Cherry Wainer! Back in 1960/61 in the UK we had a Saturday TV show called Oh Boy and she was a regular on that. Her husband Don was a drummer and they worked for many years as a duo -- you can make a hell of a big sound with just drums and a Hammond.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    wildeman, Alberta_Slim and thunder58 like this.
  5. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That combo worked well for Lee Michaels and Frosty.

mrfixitmi, wildeman and dak55 like this.
  6. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Pedal pushers...I see what you did there. ;)

A bit campy but entertaining. Gimme Jimmy Smith any time. Nathan Page on guitar

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    There is something serious rocking with a Hammond.
    My friend recently stumbled over a really old Hammond ( not a B3, alas) including a Leslie on eBay classifieds. He bought it for a song. It was completely in fine living-room condition. He was told that it served as a church-organ for dacads. It had very little issues that he took care of. It resides in his music-room today and is such a looker. Everytime I visit him I have to push some keys on it. What a fat sound!
    He would never take it to concerts because of the weight and the sheer ammount of maintainance-time, though.
    (I still remember lugging a B3 to a gig in a club on the second floor of a building. It took 4 strong men to carry it upstairs. What a pain in the a**. But the sound was worth it.)

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  9. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Great stuff. Thanks for the share- never heard of them. Nothing better than the sound of a B3. Wonder if this is where Keith Emerson came up with his Peter Gunn version?

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  10. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    I like that there are other old guys like me who remember this stuff.:D

11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Cool stuff , thanks for sharing

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  12. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
  13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've seen sawed off modded C3's and they still weight a ton! Twin reverb.....pshaww, nothing compared to moving an old tube organ around! Or how bout a piano?

T Bone and Alberta_Slim like this.
  14. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I love the old Hammond organs. I used to have a C3 (spinet version of the B3) with a big Leslie cab. It sounded great and I eventually donated it to the church we attended at the time. I guess that's the reason why I love playing with my EHX B9 pedal so much. It causes my guitar to remind me of the old Hammond.

B9 Organ machine.png

15. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    @wildeman - your sis is cool! Always been a big Hammond fan. Was working in a record store when this came out and it got heavy rotation on our sound system. Not just amazing playing but THE best MOTS-covered Tele ever seen on an album cover:

Tons of organ in reggae too of course, here's one for all you Chelsea supporters:

And possibly my all-time favorite B3 tune:

wildeman likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have a serious soft spot for organ. Funny thing is I have a Korg Kronos and every time I start tweaking synths I have to be very conscious of what I am doing because if I just follow my desires they all turn into organish patches!

Great video!

17. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Nice Ragae arrangement by the Cyclones. We binge watched "Death in Paradise" on Netflix, so I am learning to play "You're Wondering Now".

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  18. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Being an organ player I love it. I hadn't heard of her before, but I will definitely check her out some more, Thanks.

I am more of a transistor organ person but the sound of a Hammond in full flight is a thing of joy. The great thing is you can get a great clone from Nord, the C2D, and whilst it is a couple of grand (not that that'll phase the Gretsch crowd!) it is completely portable by one person.

Check it out:

Bertotti, T Bone and Alberta_Slim like this.
  19. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Make sure to oil the motor and drive train. It's the one thing most people overlook with a Hammond. We had to haul a B-3 up four flights because it wouldn't fit in the freight elevator. Never again. It's been decades and my back still hurts. That's one reason I went to a Korg BX-3. The cost is the other. I've had four Hammonds over the years, but, as I'm not gigging anymore, I can't justify the investment or space in my house.

There is NOTHING else in the world of keyboards as a Hammond and Leslie. It, and an electric piano, are the two main keyboard sounds in popular music. Considering that the real tone wheel electro-mechanical Hammond went out of production four decades ago it's still found in many types of music. The fact that solid state versions are being produced again is just a tribute to it's unique and distinctive sound. I'm primarily a keyboard player, guitarist second. The Hammond goes back to 1937---pretty much as far back as electric guitars.

kjmac---the C model is not a spinet. Spinets have two 44 note keyboards, offset. The C is identical to a B or a D, in a fully enclosed cabinet. The spinets are smaller, are missing drawbars, and have amps and speakers built into the console. They still have "That" sound, but just aren't quite the same.

My one gripe is that 90% of sound guys don't know how to properly mike a Leslie. (Miking a pipe organ is even harder to do). One mike, stuck next to the treble rotor just doesn't cut it. Hammonds are the one instrument that need four mikes or more to truly capture the huge stereo sweep of sound a Leslie develops.

pmac11 and loudnlousy like this.
  20. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Lee Michaels and Simon Bartholomew-Frost! Saw 'em live. I first heard "Shotgun" by Junior Walker & the All Stars (from my hometown---I went to the same high school) and aside from the wailing sax, the fat Hammond sound got me. That, and Booker T's "Green Onions". Add in Jimmy Smith and others, and I was hooked. I'd played piano for 7-8 years at that point, but hearing that massive sound did it for me. Later, the likes of Stevie Winwood, Greg Rollie, and so many others kept adding to my love for the Mighty B.

new6659 and dak55 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice