Gold plating losing luster

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Philtertronic, Feb 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    I have a 2013 Terada 6122-II. I took it out today and when folding the vibrato arm backwards I happened to notice that the gold plating on the arm has lost its lustre and the tailpiece seemed a tad dull as well. Any suggestions for bringing the gleam back?

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    You can use some metal polish but you should try it out at the underneath of the bar (or another not so visible part) first to check whether it will harm the surface.
    Sadly the goldplating on most guitar hardware is very thin so polishing it may rub through it. So you have to be very careful.

3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Polishing with a dry cotton cloth first...
    If not enough, adding very sparingly a few dabs of gentle polishing agent to the operation...

But other members more accustomed to gold hardware have certainly better tips and products to advise ! :rolleyes:

Tarnishing is one of the reasons I dislike Gold hardware. I would only accept one exception with Cadillac Green color... ;)

A+!

Stefan likes this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Exactly. :)

A+!

5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That is pretty common and using metal polish your golden hardware turns to Nickel :cool:

If you don‘t like the look of the tarnished hardware (I prefer that) your best bet is a slightly amount of toothpaste.

6. s4wgb

s4wgb Electromatic

Jan 18, 2020
    UK
    This was recommended to me many years ago to clean your gold hardware etc.
    Non abrasive.

Attached Files:

7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Just imagine that I have two US Lefty V-cutout B6 Gretsch by Bigsby tremolo that are gold plated and are non-functional (binding) because of the gold plating thickness. One day, I'll dismantle them all and rub off all that bling-in-excess gold plating... :confused:

But I will certainly have to replace the needle rollers (in imperial dimensions :confused:) that are too much tightened by the gold extra-thickness and maybe glued in place, so I'm sure they won't survive safely the extraction. Same problem with the pins... :oops:

In one word : GRRRRR ! :mad::mad::mad:

A+!

8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That’s crazy...I‘ve bought gold plated (Gretsch-) hardware just to get that vintage warm nickel after polishing the blingbling away.

hcsterg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice