Glenn Frey and that Falcon

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Falcon LPB, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    I have just received my copy of Glenn Frey's "Above the Clouds: The collection". This is a 4 disc tribute to the Eagles genius. When you open the package you notice it is a folder of 5 segments with plain large numbers 1 through 4 for each segment and an additional segment with a photo of the great man holding a guitar. Behind the folder segment is a booklet that recounts part of Glenn's life in music and a listing of the tracks on the discs.

Ok, the picture on the inside folder segment that contains the booklet is black and white photo of Glenn holding a Falcon guitar - but, which one? Any suggestions?

IMG_2587.jpg

G DynaTron, loudnlousy and CatTones like this.
  2. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
    Mid 60's 6137 Stereo ? that's just a guess. But That is Classy

thunder58 and Falcon LPB like this.
  3. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    I thought a stereo, but the top switches are missing. I wonder if it were a custom shop stereo model which would make it really unusual !

CatTones likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Indeed.
    Strange guitar. But very cool.

5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ............. I miss that guy a lot :(

CatTones likes this.
  6. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    His signature Takamine EF360GF is a pretty sweet acoustic/electric, a Rosewood & Spruce dreadnought.

I found their 2004 convert DVD, Farewell I Tour, Live from Melbourne in my library. Was a great show, but was a shame to not have Don Felder with them. Timothy B. Schmidt seemed to be having the most fun of them all.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    They made some stereo Falcons like that with all the knobs and switches down towards the bottom. It probably came without a Bigsby and got one later.

8. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Michael, I think you might be correct but the lower part of the guitar body seems to be filled with switches- it maybe the angle of the photo. I am not sure how many Falcons were made in 1964, but I understood they are not very plentiful. The Bigsby, as you correctly point out, would have been a mod. The alternative is that Gretsch did a special order for Glenn, but I still think you are probably on the money with your suggestion of a 1964 Falcon (with padding on the back) and a 70's Bigsby. Surely someone among our group would have some idea, as the Eagles are certainly in the public eye and someone would have noticed this guitar. I am a big fan of the Eagles and have a fair number of their albums and DVDs - I have even been to one of their concerts, but I have not seen Glenn with this guitar before. There is a DVD with this special release, so I will have a look at that and see if it turns up there.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    MichaelHargis likes this.
  9. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    '64ish sounds about right. Not exactly sure when Gretsch moved the upper 4 switches to the bottom, but it was around that time line, maybe even a little earlier.

Those 6 switches on the bottom are really 4 switches and 2 volume pots. The knobs have been removed for whatever reason.

This unit also has the "Tempered T" upper register frets. One can tell by the dot inlays.

Standard production unit for the time period, as nothing looks special order or custom about it.

MichaelHargis likes this.
  10. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Cheers. Yes, the only way I could verify it was 64ish was to conclude that the 2 volume knobs had been removed - go figure! I noticed the tempered T upper register frets. I have not seen Glenn with such a guitar before so when I get home from work, I will have a look at the DVD and see if this guitar appears.

thunder58 likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    hey @Falcon LPB , I know your a big fan of " The Falcon " . Thought you'd appreciate this .... Here's a photo of Neil Young's guitar tech Larry Cragg holding Neils ( very rare ) 1961 Stereo White falcon . Neil's a big fan of Gretsch as you can see in this photo larry_with_gretches__3ba.jpg

audept, JC higgy and CatTones like this.
  12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    That's a 1965 6137.

Would have come with a telscoping -arm vibrato with the adjustable for length arm that pulls out of a tube which is at the base of the tailpiece.
    This photo is just to show the vibrato ,i know the guitar is from the late 60's.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    new6659, Falcon LPB and Telechamp like this.
  13. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    That photo of Neil Young's guitar, I LOVE it ! I would like to own one of those!
    Thank you.
    I looked at the DVD of Glenn Fry in Dublin and no Falcon - and, not even one Gretsch! There was a lot of another G guitar brand, but no Gretsch.
    This concert was brilliant - I miss Joe Walsh's guitar work at this concert.

Thanks again for the photos.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    thunder58 and audept like this.
  14. MichaelHargis

MichaelHargis Gretschie

Apr 2, 2017
    Tucson, Az
    No tuning fork on the 64'

15. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, spot on.

16. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    I am reading Dan Duffy's book "Inside the Gretsch Guitar Factory From 1957 to 1970" that was published in 2007. The book is written with all the text in CAPITAL LETTERS. I do not know if that is a concession to the eyesight of those who the publisher think might be the niche market, but it is a fun read and his reflections on the Falcons are hillarious. I love his take on the padding on the back of some Falcons.

Particularly funny, and at the same time cutting, is what he says about the company's move, in 1970, to "BOONSVILLE ARKANSAS" where he talks about the "the piano building pin heads" and the decision to "HAVE THE 'BEVERLY HILLBILLIES' STOP MILKING THE COWS AND BUILD THE PRESTIGIOUS GRETSCH GUITARS. THINK ABOUT IT! WOULD YOU DO IT? OF COURSE NOT. YOU'RE NOT A PIN HEAD". Duffy lamented the loss of the daily guidance of the foreman and the craftsmen who had been in the company for 20 or more years and knew their craft. Duffy was the guy recruited in 1957 to inspect and play each guitar before it left the factory and to sign the inspection card. By all accounts, including his own, this oversight reduced dramatically the number of guitars returned for repair.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice