Gibson's 'painted over'

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, May 30, 2017.

1. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Oh mamma

2. Strato67

Strato67 Gretschie

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    Wheres my hammer!....:)

Gretschman2 likes this.
  3. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    You naysayers can go on and on ad infinitum about how you hate relics. Frankly, it's a very tired, worn out subject on just about every guitar forum, including this one. The dead horse has been well beaten by now, and the subject has become boring. If you don't like relics, stay away from them and stop posting over and over. Get over it. Move on.

But, the one thing maybe some of you haven't realized is, guitars that are lightly relic'd at the factory often feel nicely worn in, comfortable and well played, versus some brand new, shiny thing, and a LOT of players like that, whether you think it's right or not. Look at the success Fender has had with their relic'd guitars. They've sold tons of them, so people out there are buying.

And also, some of us who do like relics don't have thirty years to beat a guitar up naturally.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Stencil, HBob, TSims1 and 2 others like this.
  4. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Haha, white over flamed sunburst ! Ultimate snob choice !
    In real life, Real punks choose (or steal) studio models for doing their crappy customisations B-)

Mr. Lumbergh and Rob Williams like this.
  5. guitarmike

guitarmike Gretschie

Oct 13, 2015
    Montreal
    Same as when someone buys a pair of Jeans already worn and ripped at the knee....
    Looks like someone been there and done that.

6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Gibson has a history of not knowing what their customer base really wants and a lot of the success they had was accidents. The Les Paul is a perfect example. The original gold tops had the wrong neck angle even after Les told them that. Those first gold tops all needed neck resets. Then they discontinued the sunburst models after three years and they because their holy grail guitars. Gibson has been trying to get it right ever since. The automatic tuners were another big mistake and the list goes on

7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I think it's the colors painted over standard finishes then relic'd that is the issue here. To me this is Gibson grasping at straws. There are a few hundred Les Paul models in production now and it's not necessary at all

DrumBob likes this.
  8. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I agree with you on that note. Fender is the king of relic finishes-they invented the concept-but all I read was, "Ewww, I hate relics." This topic comes up all over the the 'Net, and it's the king of over-discussed topics.

nickurso likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Meh...not bother...finish.

See how that works?

Visvis likes this.
  10. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I wonder if they use old strings on those.....?

nickurso likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Man........could NOT agree more.

I personally like relic guitars for live work because they ARE comfortable and because they really take the "pressure" off of worrying about scratching, scraping, bumping, knocking over etc. Two of my biggest workhorses are AMAZING relics. :)

Stencil and DrumBob like this.
  12. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I always knew there was a reason why I liked you, Tony. You're smarter than the average bear. :cool:

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Relic? That's like marrying a pregnant woman.

thunder58 and Strato67 like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    At least any wear and tear is (presumably) of your own making.

Robbie likes this.
  15. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I wonder how good the whote top REALLY is if you scrapped the crappy white paint? Surely they wouldn't be using their AAA+ flamey maple for these....?

...are we still talking guitars......?

16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Of course we are! :D

17. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I hate relics.

markeebee likes this.
  18. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    For 6K it had better be!

For the record, I never intended this to be a 'relics suck'...'relics rule' typical internet fight, just questioning Gibson's wisdom in this particular marketing strategy. For 6K you could get Stephen Stern to knock you up a Corvette.

Rob Williams, nickurso and thunder58 like this.
  19. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Tell me where the fight is and I'll start selling tickets. People buy all kinds of stupid things, like new or old looking guitars, so what?

20. MRey

MRey Electromatic

Feb 7, 2011
    IL
    I took your intent as "will it work for Gibson", I enjoyed the post, hadn't seen they did these.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice