Gibson isnt that bad

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Aaron1061, Sep 24, 2018.

1. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    I love my Gibsons. Only a Gibson s good enough!

MotorCentaur and MichaelHargis like this.
  2. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I love my accoustic L4A. Such a rich warm tone.
    So comfortable. So well built. Their new designs (last year was it?) and of course the auto tuners.... oh dear.

MichaelHargis likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Wasn't it one of Gibson ad motto in the 30's ?

A+!

MichaelHargis and DougCraft like this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

It was used roughly during the wartime years. That slogan came to an end when Epiphone introduced its own slogan of "Epiphone: when 'good enough' just isn't good enough."

MichaelHargis and DougCraft like this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I have a love/hate realtionship with them.
    All of the Custom Shop ones are great but overpriced imho. Most of of the newer Gibson factory-standard guitars that I had in my hands had bigger or smaller imperfections/even defects (like loose frets) that I do not tolerate at that pricepoint.
    I owned quite a lot of Les Pauls and Flying Vs.
    Sold all of them with a big loss when I really needed the money/when I decided I could not live with the faulty workmanship anymore. Not every Gibson is investmentgrade!
    After being Gibson-less for some time I felt the urge to buy a Flying secondhand for cheap a few years ago. Invested a lot of work to get it in shape. It is a keeper. In fact one of my favorite guitars.

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I must correct myself. Here`s a little story:
    My friend Carsten sold litterally all of his guitars to fund his dream guitar, a Custom Shop Les Paul costing ca. EUR 7.500. (That`s a big chunk of money. You can buy a brand new compact car for that money over here.)
    He got it and was totally happy at first. Felt good, looked incredibly good, sounded just great.
    When he changed strings to a lighter gauge some weeks later he had to adjust the trussrod.
    After unscrewing the cover at the headstock he found out that the trussrod was defect. In fact the wood underneath the fretboard had already split in a very unhealty way.
    So he brought it back to the official Gibson Dealer. They refused to take it back and refund the money or offer him another guitar! He had to call a lawyer to get his right.
    It took months to get his money back. He was bitterly disappointed and his enthusiasm for Gibson guitars is completely gone now.
    I know that he is playing one of his son`s frankenstrats since then...

Judging from other threads concerning this theme I came to the reasonable suspicion that during the last years Gibson exported a lot of their factory 3rds to overseas customers. That may be the reason why so many faulty new Gibsons went through my hands and the hands of my buddies.
    It really ruined their formerly great reputation over here.

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Aye,same here ,my local shop had a lot of disappointed customers over the last 10/15 years ,but i was told the Epi line were selling like hot cakes and had great quality .

I've had 2 Les Pauls over the years,a 71 gold top Deluxe ,which i think may have been a 69,and a 90's Standard which was a nice geet.
    I'm currently Gibson-less ,still want a 295 ,345 and those P90 gold tops are cool.

My cousin has a lovely 63 reissue Memphis 335 cherry,it's sweet!

8. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

That's a massively cool tattoo, and a plum of a guitar.

MichaelHargis and Aaron1061 like this.
  9. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    Thank you! If guitars arent burning a hole in my pocket, tattoos are. :D

10. MichaelHargis

MichaelHargis Gretschie

Apr 2, 2017
    St David, Az
    I just SOLD my last Gibson. A tricked out ES-135
    I FEEL BAD BUT HAD TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE SUPER CHET

Attached Files:

11. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    That's a very cool, very underrated model. All the best!

12. PDogga

PDogga Gretschie

Jul 3, 2011
    Perth
    Interesting to hear you say this. I know a lot of people here in Australia have come to this conclusion too. The Gibson's that arrive here have the prices jacked up higher and they seem to be factory 2nds or "B Grade" examples more often than not. On the flip side, we have a good availability of Japanese made Les Paul's and 335's such as Burny, Tokai and Greco etc. These have built a pretty solid reputation for themselves.

loudnlousy, MichaelHargis and audept like this.
  13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have to agree based on the Gibsons I have seen and touched at the Sydney distributor.

PDogga and MichaelHargis like this.
  14. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I must admit that I've always been a big Gibson fan, beginning back from when I started playing guitar.
    I've been fortunate enough to own a few real good ones. Many of the Kalamazoo era guitars are magical. The post-Kalamazoo stuff is all over the map as far as quality and bang for the buck are concerned.
    I recently played a few of the new Bozeman acoustics. A J-45 and a Jumbo, both which I thought were exceptional.
    And I recently owned a Memphis made 1963 ES-335 Reissue which was a killer in every aspect.
    Gibson can still do it when they want to. But they ain't cheap.....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MotorCentaur likes this.
  15. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    They're sooooo bad !

Look at this sunburst ugly trio from 1956, the L4C is sooo bad to me I have to close this page within the next 10 sec before I quit my job playing with these all day long !

1956-7 trio of sunbursts party (1).JPG 1956-7 trio of sunbursts party (2).JPG

16. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Man, that's a great looking trio right there!

17. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    Congrats on your new Gibson. I'm getting along just fine with the one I've got.

[​IMG]

larryb likes this.
  18. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Oh yeees they're soooo bad !!

IMG_9461.JPG IMG_9462.JPG

The redest one just left me. It has been sold in 3 days ! (snif)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    dafreeze likes this.
  19. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    A perfect ES335 is a beautiful thing. My Jazz playing buddy has one just like that and it's lovely. Simply excellent.

20. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Boy I’d love to tell you j.s.c. tossed up a couple pictures of my Gibson’s. Very nice.

A good Gibson’s a heluva guitar.

Owned a half dozen Les Pauls, couple 335’s and wasn’t mine but had a cool as anything 135 for a few months. First LP was a Heritage, Standard 80 Elite. Like to have that one back. Presently have an ‘08 wine red/chrome LP Studio with a pair of P-94’s just waiting to go in. Also a ‘15 335 in light burst that plays and sounds as good as it looks. This is the only year with that finish, too. Plus my Son has a Studio Supreme I gave him one Christmas.

Thought I wanted another LP with P-90’s, Gold Top this time but what I’d really like is a Gold Top 295 w/Bigsby. A good R8 too, I think.

But I’ve bought a dozen GreTschs, 9 Pro line. Have 3 real sweet ones, gave my boy 2 and my nephew 1.

Since I’ve had them I usually play a GreTsch. Just absolutely love the cleans all the way through to the grind and that’s what I enjoy playing most.