Gibson isnt that bad

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Aaron1061, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    i have owned four and they were all amazing! but this was back in the early 90's that is a nice looking guitar you got there buddy! does it have the rolled binding? get that Henry Juszkiewicz the hell outta there though!!! agreed?

MichaelHargis likes this.
  2. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    Burstbuckers 1/2!

3. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    60s but a little thicker

4. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    Haha agreed! And yeah it's rolled. Really comfy. The neck pickup is a little dark and big for me though. May put a p90 in

MichaelHargis and Howard hughes like this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’ve owned some very nice Gibson guitars, and in fact own a few now. As with all major manufacturers there will be great/okay/bad guitars along the way, but Gibson can still crank out an awe inspiring guitar.

I WILL say(since this is a Gretsch forum after all)that I find Gretsch guitars to be extremely consistent across the board. It’s something I enjoy and respect about the brand.

Anyways - congrats and enjoy that pretty Midtown.

MichaelHargis and Henry like this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Enjoy your new guitar.

7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've owned my 335 since I was in my twenties. I loved it then and I love it now.
    A 335 is a great guitar no matter what age you are...:D.

MichaelHargis and hcsterg like this.
  8. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    I have a fantastic 1936 Gibson 00 parlour guitar, but all other Gibsons that came my way in the past 30 years or so are now in other people's hands.

If anything, I won't deny that the sheer number of decent Gibsons on the used market is a wonderful thing for us all :)

9. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    She's a beauty , congrats

10. PDogga

PDogga Gretschie

Jul 3, 2011
    Perth
    Congrats - that looks great.
    I think it has been kinda fashionable to knock Gibson for a few years now. You can be sure they still make a lot of fantastic guitars.

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'm in. Here's my 1st owned guitar - a 1980 LH Gibson ES-335TD bought 2nd hand in 1980...

[​IMG]

... And still with me since then.

These passed years I could buy SGs or Les Pauls : as costy as uninteresting to me. Maybe one day I'll do an exception for a Les Paul Special with P-90 ?

Gibson isn't that bad ? Sure... They just need a change in strategy, IMHO.

A+!

A+!

12. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    C0ngratulations. Beautiful guitar!

I'm still 1/1 on good Gibson guitars.

I just don't believe anything I hear anywhere anymore. Keyboard warriors, broke idiots who talk to much, and a few people who can't play with buyers remorse?

I have a really really hard time believing or understanding how so many unsatisfied people just haplessly bought some peice of junk off the wall without playing it, or didn't take/send that dumpy piece of crap back to whatever retailer they ordered it from for the store credit if it wasn't what they wanted. I've been offered better store credit/lower restocking fees in these exact situations. Some people are just too impatient that they wouldn't take or send it back... they want it now. I mean you're going to take a loss when you finally sell it in a few years after all... by then you might have put wear and tare or nick on it and are taking a greater loss.

Chances are... they didn't buy it in the first place and they're just listening to their uncles complaining.

somebodyelseuk and MichaelHargis like this.
  13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Congratulations, very nice looking guitar.
    I don't buy into the "all new Gibson's are junk" story. They've had their challenges for sure, as have every other guitar Manufacturer. I'll never part with my '78 355.

14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I've seen some pretty 'dumpy' new Gibsons with my own eyes.. a new Flying V with the pickguard installed off center, wobbly pots etc. Usually the wood parts are good with them, it's just some sloppy assembly and lack of final inspection it seems. You have to admit they've had questionable features such as the forced G Force. I'm not a fan of the PCB for the volume and tone pots etc. The 2014 SG I had for a week was not a good guitar. My 74 SG however, is easily the best playing and sounding guitar I own.

15. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Oh I didn't say they don't exist. Buyer beware is all I'm saying.

And you know how I feel about the Gforce and the PCB stuff. Gone! lol. The guitar. The chassis was fine. I got mine cheap and literally bought the pots and the new tuners when I bought the guitar.

MichaelHargis and englishman like this.
  16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Wow cool lefty. I'm left handed but string my guitars right handed. I wish mine was a lefty but it's such a great player that it's okay with me to just flip it over.

17. Atomic

Atomic Gretschie

Oct 29, 2010
    Aurora, CO
    I'm a huge fan of Gibsons. I have heard all of the horror stories and bad press over the years and thought that either I lucked out with my Gibsons or was too ignorant to know the difference between a good guitar and a bad one. However, I have owned expensive Fenders, now have a Gretsch, and had my hands on lots of other "premier" guitars. I still love my Gibbys. I want an Explorer and I'm just waiting for the right one to cross my path.

Here is a pic of my 98 LP Custom. It was my dads and it was too heavy for him (he has bad shoulders) and so it got passed along. This is the most amazing sounding guitar, although it is pretty dang heavy!

Attached Files:

MichaelHargis and JC higgy like this.
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, Gretschtim1, thanks ! - sorry, I did not remember you as a lefty player, morerover à la Dick Dale and à la Otis Rush - both lefty / stringed righty players, like you ;).

And of course congatulations Aaron1061 for your "flat top downsized ES-335" like semi-solid.

[​IMG]

If the SGs and Les Paul are the most popular - not to say the most common - Gibson models, the ES-335 is certainly the most classy and glamorous one...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    MichaelHargis and Gretschtim1 like this.
  19. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    That is a sweet lookin Les, Atomic,and so great it was your dads, keeper for sure sir!:cool:

MichaelHargis and Atomic like this.
  20. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I had a 2018 classic goldtop with P90s and I can verify that it was a very well made guitar, no doubt. I eventually just couldnt get along with the slim taper 60s neck, it was easily the skinniest neck ive ever had on a guitar. Factory setup was atrocious though