Gibson acoustic lovers?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by TSims1, Feb 18, 2019.

1. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Can't afford a Gibby. But I do have a brother to one. My epiphone hummingbird pro

Attached Files:

nickurso and 64ChevSS like this.
  2. afire

afire Country Gent

I've always leaned heavily towards Gibson for acoustics. My first good one was a 1940s L-7. Followed by a J-160E, then a Nick Lucas reissue. If I were in the market for a good acoustic, I would go for an Advanced Jumbo. I've played a few at shops and absolutely love their throaty booming tone.
    [​IMG]

53Rockets and nickurso like this.
  3. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Of course. Not a Gibson, The Gibson:
    0C160552-6341-45BC-BD33-C8FE82B8F529.jpeg

4. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    IMG_5923.jpg

It's my J-45 "Custom" (Gibson called it a Custom, but it was just a production run...IMHO, not really a "custom"...just a bit more bling).

BTW...congratulations on your "00"...it looks real nice...I considered one but was afraid it might sound thinner than the J-45. I also agree with your comments about the Gibson sound as compared to that of a Taylor...I've had 4 Taylors (still have two of them, great guitars! My first Taylor was a Dreadnought which I traded for one of their Koa K-24 models, which I eventually gave to my son. Eventually bought another Koa, this time a K-22 which is shorter scale, and also a 362 12-stringer!). My Taylors have plenty of top end sparkle, but the J-45 easily betters them in the bottom end.

53Rockets and nickurso like this.
  5. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    The J-165 has always been a favorite of mine

B165B412-099C-429D-9EA4-24130125159A.png

6. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Saw the Everly Brothers in Liverpool on a UK package tour way back ('63 or '64). Even though it was a big theatre, their guitars (J185?) were not amplified, but every time it came to one of those big Everly acoustic guitar motifs, they both just took a step back and slung those guitars up to head height, right up to the microphone. Did they sound good? Bloody marvellous.

new6659 likes this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    yep, sold my martin johnny cash, paid some bills and still was able to get my dream jumbo. A J-100 w (stripped down SJ-200) Bubinga back and sides, so fantastic. Although it makes me look like I'm playing a cello its so big on me :)
    IMG_3298.JPG

8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I love the classic look but I always felt that Gibson’s sound great strummed but not that great for fingerstyle.

johnny g likes this.
  9. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I've got a LG2-AE that sounds and plays great strummed or fingerstyle...actually my favorite acoustic to take to bluegrass jams, since it's so different from the numerous Martins and really cuts though the mix with Banjos and Mandolins.

It's a really nice couch guitar and I occasionally think of selling it but then start playing it and remember why it isn't going anywhere

swivel likes this.
  10. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    What does the AE designate?
    Acoustic Electric I guess.... DUH! Do they still make LG2's? or is it a mod?

11. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Nothing to put up from this corner of the world, but I love the look of the Hummingbird and I'd love to play one and hear how it sounds. Maybe someday I'll be able to get one. I understand that the necks are 1.75 at the nut and I like the sound of that for fingerpicking. My Gretsch New Yorker has a 1.75 nut and it is so easy to fingerpick that I find myself reaching for it all the time.

12. gruffydd3

gruffydd3 Electromatic

Nov 3, 2018
    maryland
    I love Gibson acoustics. I have four of them.

It's funny, but someone on the first page said the Gibsons he's played sounded dead and dull. He likes Martins. Mt experience has been the opposite. Every Martin I've heard in person or played has been dead and dull. I don't know why because I hear them on recordings and they sound fine.

TSims1 likes this.
  13. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I dig Martins, but I agree that Gibson acoustics don’t sound dead and dull. Warm yes, and that’s what I like about them.

gruffydd3 likes this.
  14. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I fell in love with the Gibson Dove in the early 70’s....Never owned one.

E59A5FA0-03B7-484E-A17C-8D3D23AE1B01.jpeg

Telechamp, new6659 and TSims1 like this.
  15. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Looking to pick up a used J-15 for a grand or so. That seems like it might be possible.

In the meantime, I've got a '64 LG-0 that's great for finger-pickin' blues on the couch..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Gretschie

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    FAD21346-021B-4EE5-A00B-0A3F88818E92.png My 2012 Custom Shop 1968 J-45 ADJ Reissue Limited Edition is my favorite. I played Gibson J-50’s till I found this one.

53Rockets likes this.
  17. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    IMG_E3239.JPG M IMG_E3930.JPG My 2018 J-15 Walnut Burst and my 2018 Corona. One of them i still have, one is long gone. My first choice was a J-45, but they weren't readily available, and no local stores had one available to compare head to head. In the end, no sound clips i could find could convince me the extra $1400 was worth it for the J-45, but i'm completely happy with mine. Someday though, i'll get my hands on a 'Workhorse'.

audept likes this.
  18. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    (Sorry for thread drift but...) Speaking of Gibsons, did anyone watch the 50th anniversary Elvis show? Man it seemed to be the night for artists to bring out their big Gibson archtops and acoustics. What was that 335 like thing that Elvis was playing, red with a fender shape headstock bot looked like D'armond pickups...?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  19. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    They sure do have their own sound. I had a Lyre Humming Bird,
    light years ago. Looked and played like a dream, but...
    I drank the Martin kool aid.
    HD28 for life.
    When the chariot swings low, this one's coming with me.

20. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Hagstrom Viking II

swivel and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice