GFS/Xaviere "Gretsch/Guild/Gibson" Hollowbody...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by AtomicFishin83, Feb 12, 2011.

1. AtomicFishin83

AtomicFishin83 Gretschie

Aug 13, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    https://guitarfetish.3dcartstores.com/Xaviere-XV-950-Rockabilly-Hollowbody-Guitars_c_311.html

What do y'all think???

Sorry to double post this :)

2. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    That tailpiece looks an awful lot like it's going to lead to trouble! I think they're probably worth what you pay for 'em.

3. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    I'm not a big fan of the cutaway but that's just me, other than that it looks decent. Certainly not a proline, but decent.

4. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    For $300, dunno. I can't believe they are 60% as good as a 5120, which can be found for 40% more. I'd be willing to try one of their blemmed jazzmasters, or another slab, for $130, but a budget hollowbody? I'd rather grab an Ibanez Artcore...

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'm thinking for someone who has never played one, you're giving them an awfull lot of attention.

I have a friend who was hired to promote products on productrelated fora. He had to create interest without people accusing him of spamming and deployed interesting tactics more at home in your average espionage novel.
    Based on the GFS threads started on every fora, the hypebuilding(just as good as...) and the quality of the actual product, I'd say they hired quite a few of these fellers.

The guitars sure look nice tho.

6. calvin lee

calvin lee Country Gent

Jan 5, 2011
    new york
    i used to own a xaviere guitar, and i can not praise them enough. i think this particular model has some poor design choices, but these guitars play like they cost thousands of dollars, not hundreds. i had to get rid of mine about a year ago :'(
    really though, if you like the looks, buy it. xaviere makes some of the best guitars around.

7. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Synchromatic

Mar 15, 2009
    Magdalena, NM, US
    I'd hit one of those. In fact, I think I need to buy myself a retirement present :)

I'm such a traditionalist, but that surfy turquoise/green one calls out to me for some reason.

[​IMG]

8. built4speed

built4speed Synchromatic

Mar 9, 2010
    Canada
    They look a lot like the Douglas WNO series from Rondo Music, with a Gibson florentine style cutaway instead of the usual venetian style, which I happen to like. Everything about these screams Gibson, so why not put some dogear P90s or humbuckers on these instead of the Retrotrons? I think they ruin the look of the guitar.

If I wanted another cheap hollowbody I'd definitely give one of these a try. I'm surprised they didn't do the obvious and make a gold one with cream dogear P90s and go for an ES-295 look.

9. Quietly

Quietly Banned

Jul 31, 2009
    Spain
    If they are half as good as they look at that price I would go for it. Having said that I would want to play one before doing so.

10. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Someone needs to buy one and give a first-hand review.

11. AtomicFishin83

AtomicFishin83 Gretschie

Aug 13, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Hahaha, I'm not a GFS employee. I just happen to like their stuff, and thought this was pretty cool.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Just to be clear. I've bought a Xaviere XV-560(meh), a slew of pickups, hardware and other GFS stuff, and probably will try some of their pedals in the near future. I'm not a hater, everyone is on a budget once in a while, but some of their stuff is a bit hit and miss.

13. Sharkblues

Sharkblues Country Gent

Aug 22, 2010
    Texas
    GFS guitars, are low budget guitars. And that is what you get. Not that they are all bad, but many if not most will have issues. I would also suspect a hollow body would have a more issues that would tele type.

I own one GFS and it's OK for what it is. I've owned or seen a few others from when I was going through my "Rondo GFS, aren't cheap guitars great!" phase. My general opinion is they are generally not that great and MUCH better guitars can be had for $50 - $100. I for sure won't rush to buy the latest Rondo GFS entry because of their great looks.

In short, Jay's marketing qualities exceed the quality of his product IMO.

14. razor

razor Synchromatic

Sep 26, 2009
    Hamilton, Ont, Canada

Yeah Jack knife...THAT is the one that caught my eye too! Very Sexy!

15. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Terry

I agree about the PUPs, they should have put P90's in there or Alnico II's.

16. built4speed

built4speed Synchromatic

Mar 9, 2010
    Canada
    Or even the Surf 90s, that would be a great match too, especially since they're attempting to market both these guitars and the Surf 90s as rockabilly style. I think visually the retrotrons just look weird, and by many accounts aren't that close to filtertrons in tone, whereas the Surf 90s by any account I've read are VERY close to Dynasonics in tone.

17. Tombtone

Tombtone Gretschie

Jan 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS

Someone needs to buy this guitar, install a Bigsby, and post some soundclips and vids for us :)

18. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I guess you can find a used Gretsch for just a little more and hsaave way better quality!

19. 54Memphis

54Memphis Former Member

Apr 20, 2010
    West Germany, shores of the Rhine
    Looks exactly like the discontinued Johnson JP-NN-O
    Streetprice was around $400. Good sounding, well built guitars, worth every cent. I had a Johnson ES Model in dark cadillac green and gold hardware. Looked almost like a Gretsch and had tons of twang.

[​IMG]

20. Tombtone

Tombtone Gretschie

Jan 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS

Hmmm kind of reminds me of this (minus the Bigsby-esque trem):

[​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if they were from the same factory :D

If only I didn't have my Artcore I would spring for this and try it out. Right now, however, I just can't justify it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice