Join Gretsch-TalkToday

GFS Surf 90 in my G5120

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by hacku, Jul 16, 2011.

1. hacku

hacku Electromatic

I waited about 2 months for my new pickups but now they are finally here. These pickups are really nice, I immediately felt in love with them. Big bang for the buck!!! I am realy impressed by these pickups!

For you GretschTalkers I recorded some stuff with the Gretschbuckers and also with the Surf 90s to compare the sound. All settings on my amp (Vox AC15C1) are the same for each take.
    On both recordings is my Compton Bridge installed, this little thing has already done much impact on the sound of the guitar.
    The recordings with the stock pickups are a little bit messed up, but I don't know why, so sorry for that in advance. Also sorry for my poor guitar skills, I know here are some really fine players around… ;-)

2. classicrock

classicrock Gretschie

Very nice thanks for taking the time and trouble to make the before and after recordings. I like the sound of the surf 90's. They look very cool too.

3. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Don't worry about your guitar skill, nothing wrong there. Nice clear picking, well defined notes, beautifully paced and executed - you're a lot better than you think.

Well done. I really enjoyed it, particually Stray Cat Strut. Fun version of Sleepwalk too! great stuff.

Love the GFS's

All the best

Mr Marlin

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Henrytwang

Henrytwang Synchromatic

Nice demo. The Surf 90s' have my vote. I've got a 5120 and couldn't get along with the Gretschbuckers so I fitted gretsch Filtertrons.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  6. hacku

hacku Electromatic

Thank you for the kind words…

After some weeks of playing I am still impressed by these pickups! They sound very good with the Champion 600 too. Even the amp simulation in GarageBand sounds nice now (with the Gretschbuckers it always was a bit "dark" sounding).

So I highly recommend these pups to people who are on a budget! :)

7. snotbubble

snotbubble Gretschie

I will second that. I finally got my Surf 90s installed in my 5120 last weekend, and it's a whole new world. My tone knob actually has a purpose in life now. Great, inexpensive pickups.

8. RockingMatt

RockingMatt Country Gent

Ha, Ghostriders in the Sky, i like it.

Your playing is realy good.
    The GFS Pickups sounds good to me.
    It looks like my Order takes one month more until they are here!

Matt

9. Dylanphile

Dylanphile Synchromatic

That's some sweet playing; don't sell yourself short!

Excellent comparison of the pickups, too. I just checked in here to ask some advice on what to replace my Gretschbuckers with in my 5122 and you answered my question before I got a chance to ask it.

10. nadles

nadles Country Gent

Nice playing and good demo of the Surf 90s. I've got Surf 90s on a hollow body and love them. Not only do the sound good, thy look good too.

11. Blomp

Blomp Electromatic

mine too ;) that seems like exactly the kind of sound i'm going for for my gretsch - the stock humbuckers make the guitar sound a bit too much like an epiphone hollowbody, and i have an epiphone hollowbody for epiphone hollowbody tones.

were they easy to install? it looks like you had to replace/modify the mount-rings due to the screw positioning, but other than that, do they just slot in?

12. Sharkblues

Sharkblues Country Gent

Thanks for the vid! I might have to go with those in my Carlo Robali CR1955.

And your playing is nothing to be ashamed of either! I bet your as good or better than most the of us here. Most of us will never make a dime for playing, so it's all about the love of the guitar not how good you are!

13. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Great demo! Maybe some of the manufactures should take your lead on comparing pickups.

After listening to your demo, I think a surf 90 placed in the neck position of my 5120, would mix well with my Nashville in the bridge.

14. hacku

hacku Electromatic

thanks again :)

@Matt: I'm sure you'll love yours when they arrive!

@Blomp: Installation is quite easy (they are the first pickups I ever installed). They fit right into the slots of the Gretschbuckers. I had nothing to modify, the mounting rings of the Surf 90 are looking a bit cheap so I decided to use the rings of the Gretschbuckers.
    But be aware that newer Electromatics seem to have two adjustment screws on one side not just one like on my 2007 Electromatic!

@Blomp & @Dylanphile: I also recommend to check out the Compton Bridges (http://www.comptonbridges.com/), they are a huge improvement.

15. classicrock

classicrock Gretschie

I have had mine in for a couple of weeks now and I love'em. I wen't for the black but still think they look great. As someone else said earlier now my tone knob has a purpose.

[​IMG]

16. hacku

hacku Electromatic

the black ones are looking great too!
    a lot of surf 90 lovers on gretsch-talk! :)

17. MTurner

MTurner Country Gent

When I listen to your surf 90 demo, the first thing that comes to my mind is "twangy." Sharper, brighter, more percussive tone. It sounds like what I'd think a 5129 on steriods would sound like. Not that I have a clue in this world what I'm talking about...

18. Blomp

Blomp Electromatic

yep, my 5120 has two adjustment screws, but i think black mount rings with black surf 90s would look fine on an orange 5120.. if not i don't mind a few untidy looking holes here and there, so long as the guitar sounds good ;)

19. freddyfingers

freddyfingers Friend of Fred

You know I have steered away from the 5120's, but recently, they had one in GC for 499, missing a pickguard. After seeing what you can do to one of them, I might try to talk them sown, switch out the pickups like you did, and get myself an inexpensive archtop that can rock! Thanks for taking the time to show the differences, and congrats!

20. freddyfingers

freddyfingers Friend of Fred

I just noticed, Deutschland! Wie geht es Heute? Thats the best I can do, except for some fowl words as well. Do you mind explaining which surf 90's they are, and what did the overhaul cost?

21. hacku

hacku Electromatic