GFS pickups

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by jfassett, May 25, 2019.

1. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Nice! Of my five gretsches, the 5122 is an amazing player, I love it and it was worthy of all the upgrades I did. IMG_20190525_104958_hdr.jpg

Telechamp, section2 and drmilktruck like this.
  2. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    That is an amazing looking guitar, what model is that?

3. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The body was an NOS Gretsch Astro Jet to which somebody had attached a neck of unknown origin.
    @drmilktruck had it laying around and I bought it from him.

image.png

I made the pickguard out of sheet brass (and had enough left over for the TRC and jackplate). I had it engraved by a very talented lady in Canada. All the hardware here is 'Slick' GFS stuff.

image.png

section2, Merc, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  4. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Very cool, thanks for the reply!

5. John Drummond

John Drummond Gretschie

Feb 26, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Just found this other vid of a G2420T Fitted with GFS Surf-90's (Really shows off the sound of the GFS)

Byron likes this.
  6. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Yes, that is a nice example of the GFS, seem to work well with the roland Blues Cube too. Here' a bit of old footage that I like too, including some surf and rockabilly playing

John Drummond likes this.
  7. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    I installed Dream 90s and a Lipstick in my Spirit GT3 - EXCELLENT results

Spirit 001.jpg

And I just had a set of Slick P90s installed to replace the mini Gretschbuckers in my G5238T - immense improvement...

Atomic Samba c 108054.jpg

section2, Merc and John Drummond like this.
  8. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Here's my Eastwood Twin Tone with GFS Surf 90s included....my 'go to' guitar most of the time now as it's good for everything

. Screen shot 2019-06-18 at 12.04.57.png

9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    She’s looks very talented indeed, I love that pickguard. It reminds me of the dying art of old leather belts I used to see and like.

You did great bringing that Beast to life to! How do you like the Slick bridge? I was interested in it after watching a review of a Slick guitar. I’ve since heard they’re changing the design from the older ones. Something because of having to remove the string to set intonation on the earlier ones. But it might’ve been because of the Slick guitar itself. The bridge looked countersunk in the top.

10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Yeah, it was a little strange using a TOM style on basically a plank guitar so they had to recess it. I had no problems I remember... been a while lol. It's right here though if you have any specific questions.

Merc likes this.
  11. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Love the Surf 90's in my 5120. What an improvement over the Gretschbuckers!

[​IMG]

section2, jfassett and DougCraft like this.
  12. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Great photo!

Telechamp likes this.
  13. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Beautiful guitar! Those pups look great, and I love the look of the space control bridge.

jfassett likes this.
  14. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I wish someone made plastic silver rings "humbucker size", I had to use a dremel tool on some standard gretsch filtertron rings and my work is a little sloppy. I didn't like the look of the metal chrome rings that come with the gretschbuckers.

section2 likes this.
  15. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Gretsch now makes humbucker-sized plastic silver rings for their Blacktop Broadtron pickups. I don't know whether they sell them separately, but you might ask if your favourite Gretsch dealer can order a pair for you. For what it's worth, though, your Dremel work looks good from here!

jfassett likes this.
  16. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I've been trying to find a set of gold rings for my 5220 which has the blacktop broadtrons and have had zero luck. It's very annoying, Gretsch obviously makes the rings, however, they don't make them available to us

17. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    If your local dealer can't get them, try contacting Gretsch directly. I can't imagine they wouldn't offer replacement parts for their guitars.

jfassett likes this.
  18. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Oddly, Surf 90s don't sound much like a dynasonic so sometimes I wonder WHAT they're meant to sound like from a Gretsch point of view. I think they have their own sound (not like Tele on steroids, wish folks would stop saying that)

jfassett likes this.
  19. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I even tried customer service with gretsch and got a response telling me to try an authorized gretsch dealer, ha! Literally, nobody carries the rings for the blacktop broadtrons

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice