Getting Desperate then BOOM - New Amp Day X 2!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by dreamingGretsch, Nov 10, 2019.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a Vox AC4TV. The neighbors who share a common wall complained when I ran it on the 1/4 Watt setting.

2. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

LOL, I ran mine in the basement on ¼w, roommate complained, that's why I went for the 8". Better but "still too loud". The Mini at 6.5" and 1/10 w did the trick. These little 4 watt amps are quite loud, and sound great. I live alone now, no more complaints.

audept likes this.
  3. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ive also found that the 1/4W setting at higher volumes is still a bit loud.. so I when I was testing it, I was in the outdoor patio, we lived on the 3rd floor.. and we live facing the main road.. it was stil loud as people look up with their shocked faces as I try to impress them with my less than stellar riffs..

audept and T Bone like this.
  4. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Update:

I never had so much fun playing with this amp. I thought that I’d be a bit buried in the mix given that it’s a bit middy amp, but I sounded fine. My tele cut through, especially the bridge pickup.

also, well, maybe the sound engineer just mixed everyone balanced, but a few people who heard me cut through did comment on how nice the guitar sounded.

i had the Bass - 7, Treble - 8, Mid - 4. Volume - 3 and a half. Once my Timmy did its job doing the “on-the-edge break-up”, the OCD, Klone and OD-3 all sounded great. I guess they’re really designed for that. But I’m on the fence on the OCD+Klone combo, maybe I need to find the sweet spot if I stack these two. I never meant to stack the Klone as I just want it to boost my timmy with a lighter gain than the OCD. And switch to OCD if I want something heavier. Oh well.

overall I’m happy with my purchase and will stick with this for a while until I learn this amp sing.

Here’s my set up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bertotti, Waxhead and audept like this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok all good dreamin :)
    Now you're getting used to this amp I got a suggestion for ya.

Start using the amps overdrive channel - it's much better than any pedal.
    When using the overdrive channel reduce the bass pot as you increase the gain levels.

Try the bass pot at around 3-4 so the overdrive doesn't sound boomy.
    Try the bass down at 0-2 to see how it affects the overdrive channel.
    Same with the mids dial.

And if you raise the amp off the floor it will sound brighter and less bassy.
    Experiment with the overdrive channel and see what you think :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Bertotti likes this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oh heck yea, get that little monster off the floor, the coupling of the cab to the floor will certainly affect the bass! I don’t have any experience with the od channel but I would definitely try what Waxhead suggests. As for off the floor, a chair works or make your own stand it doesn’t have to cost a fortune and you can make one to tilt it back a bit as well.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Waxhead likes this.
  7. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    OH WOW.. Thank you, I will try this!

The only problem is, The amp is backstage, I may have to ask someone to build me a 20m long channel switcher for it.. but definitely will try the OD channel for drives.. Im looking forward to using it.. My wife took a pic of me, (sorry the vid she took on this side is all bass, not much guitar sounds can be heard..) and from where I stand, its a good 15-20m from the backstage where our amps are mic'ed.. the longest cable I have is only 10m..

[​IMG]

on the contrary, I like the boomy sound because my tele's are already bright.. I have 62 ri teles, the fender MIJ has fender 64 pickups and the AVRI62 has the stock 62's.. and the bass really gives body to my tone.. as you probably know, I got my bass settings quite high...

I will learn how the bass knob affects the overdrive and also the mids.. I didnt know that this can also affect the OD tone.. so much to learn!!

I never thought that raising an amp off the floor changes the tone.. I'll try and find an amp stand and see how it responds.. I'll try to get a clean video or recording of what my sound was.. so you can all hear what it sounds like FOH..

Bertotti likes this.
  8. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    So, this is one of the songs we did last Sunday. I’m doing lead lines in this song.

i’m not sure if I’m allowed to post it here since its a P&W song/video, i’ll just share it as a link.

this is just purely for assessment purposes on how I can improve my tone using the Peavey Classic 30. I love how it sounds, especially when I hit those open sounding G-chords with the Timmy and OCD pushing the front amp on the bridge part of the song starting at 1:34.

thanks for listening.

Here it HERE

Bertotti likes this.
  9. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Gretschie

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    You did good. Fantastic story, nice photography, and I wish my house was as clean as yours.
    Congrats on the finds.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think it sounds good and you think it sounds good so what’s to improve? I would experiment with getting some of your drive from the amp instead of pedals play around with just the amp for awhile and see what you need to do to dial it in without any pedals. You may still decide to use pedals, no worries but you will learn a lot about the amp on the process.

Waxhead and T Bone like this.
  11. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you sir! I have to give it to my wife who likes everything clean! If Im single, it wouldnt be this clean. Hehehe

Yes sir, this I will experiment with! I still got to have a handle on my drive settings and get all those sweet spots to make everything sound nice!

Bertotti likes this.
  12. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here are more test vids that have been mixed, but still not HD vids, I only requested these as I really want to hear how I sounded in the mix with my amp's settings and pedal settings.. maybe I'll get the amp off the floor to get more high end to cut through.. pads/keys and bass are really thick in the mix and i have little sonic room to maneuver..

I'm doing all the lead lines/guitar lines and fills in these two songs..

TEST VID 2

TEST VID 3

I'm know thinking of how to cut through better without being loud..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice