Getting Desperate then BOOM - New Amp Day X 2!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by dreamingGretsch, Nov 10, 2019.

1. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I did try the OD channel for a bit.. I dont get the hate on the OD channel (mixed reviews from diff forums), it was okay to my ears, lively, organic drive.. possibly the replacement JJ tubes were a factor, or the speaker is just worn in and sounding great..

I really like a clean amp.. I have my favorite overdrive pedals, and I have gain stages set.. so I really want a CLEAN and LOUD amp for pedal platform.. and I really want Fender BF cleans.. and I dont want break up.. I know, Im kind of weird.. thats why the SS amps really appealed to me because of those reasons..

I'm scheduled to play in church in a few weeks too, so it's going to be interesting to bring this along, mic'ed and see how I cut through and/or blend well in the mix..

I'm just hoping this would work quite nicely as in as much as I love gear hunting, selling gear is a bit tedious and had to deal with no shows and tyre kickers.. LOL

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well if you only want Fender blackface style cleans the Princeton and 20w Deluxe Reverb are your only options under 30w imo. The little Champ does not deliver Fender blackface cleans imo.

https://reverb.com/news/a-guide-to-blackface-era-fender-amps

I prefer your Peavey 30 myself but my needs in an amp are much greater than yours :)

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That peavey looks great with the tele and should work great. Congrats.

Waxhead likes this.
  4. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    They are so expensive in our shores!! honestly, I can never afford both the Princeton and DRRI.. I've researched and these amps seem to be the holy grail when it comes to BF cleans, but I am priced out unfortunately..

I havent used a Peavey C30 in any setting, and this is the first time Im gonna use one live.. so I'm not really sure how it's gonna play out in a live band mix, especially mic'ed..

but the thing is, Im a tube amp noob, and I never really imagined that tones can get so complicated (and expensive) to get with tubes, circuit, speakers.. LOL.. I thought guitars and pedals are already enough.. then I bought a tube amp.. Hahahaha

What is in a Peavey Classic 30 that you prefer? Lets say I move the Classic 30 and the Vox AC4 on, the only ones in my budget are used Fender Hot Rod Deluxes, and Blues Jrs.. I dont think I want a Blues Jr because of the boxyness I've heard when I tried it, and probably the bigger HRD would be a bit of a hassle transporting.. LOL

5. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you! Im starting to like it as I practice! But I can only tell if I really like it this coming 17th.. Id likely report back on what happened..

Henry likes this.
  6. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the AC 4 have an attenuator switch? Should be 4 watts/1 watt/¼ watt. At least mine that look just like it do. They made 3 sizes, 10 inch speaker, 8 inch speaker and the Mini, 6.5 inch speaker (low setting on that one is 1/10 watt). Great little amps, I have all 3, travel with the Mini most often. I really like these, and at a hundred bucks you got a good deal (mine were between 200 and 300 new 6-8 years ago).

Congrats on a great double NAD!

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well you'll have to save your bikkies for a used Princeton or Hot Rod if that's your dream amp. Should be able to find used one's around on Gumtree or Ebay for $400-500.

I played and gigged with them and lot's other Fenders.
    I owned a Twin Reverb for 10 yrs when a young fella - sold it and moved to better amps :)

Fenders are great if you're exclusively a clean player.
    Most are good pedal platforms also but Princeton is not imo.
    The Hot Rod is known for having a very touch sensitive volume dial that goes from quiet to ear splitting in a micro touch

I prefer your Peavey cos it's got a good overdrive and crunch channel.
    I suggest you use that instead of your analog overdrive pedals or any modelers.
    It's got EL84 tones different to the Fenders but the Classic's clean tones are just as good imo. So is it's reverb.
    I'd swap you a Hot Rod or Princeton for a Classic any day :)

Here's a good ol demo vid that shows what the Classic 30 can do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  8. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Definitely something to think about!

My dream amp is not clean at all. Hehehe.. i think if I can plug into a 59' Bassman, I'll be okay with just delay as my pedal! LOL

I actually dont know enough in tube amps.. with all honesty, I just want a loud and clean amp, with no break up at any volume, which sounds like a solid state that sounds like a Twin Reverb.. so I guess I'm really wanting a Twin Reverb, but in the cheapest possible way.. am I making any sense? hehehe

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congratulations. So you own two Fenders, but only can afford a 100 dollar amp...and you still spend $300?
    I'd ask that super model for a date. She'll probably bring a friend.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    @dreamin - you need to play and test out lots of amps yourself before you can decide what suits you best.

You say loud and clean with no break up at any volume but your loud might be the next guys quiet. Even an 80w Twin Reverb breaks up when maxed out and you often hear it on old recordings.

You'd never get a Twin Reverb past 3 on the dial at your biggest gig and it doesn't sound great until you crank it above 6. Meanwhile, it weights over 70 pounds and is built for gigging at very large venues and stadiums.

All those old Fender and Marshall high wattage amps are like this. Just impractical for most players today. They don't sound great unless you crank them and there's nowhere you can crank them.

That's why I sold my Twin - total overkill imo and I got a 50w Marshall JCM800 instead. Much more practical, lighter and versatile but still not ideal as times changed and gig volumes reduced.

In search of more versatility and lighter weight I moved through Fender, Marshall, Vox, Egnater and settled on Mesa Boogie.

The 100w Mesa Lonestar Classic is a good example of an amp that stays clean through it's whole range on channel 1 but it also has a great 2nd channel with great overdrive. So it's much more versatile than the old Fenders.

For your needs less than 30 watts (tube) will give you all the clean headroom you'll ever need or use on a clean channel. Remember that 30w tube is worth 70 to 90w of solid state. You'll never even get your Peavey Classic to break up on channel 1. It's got way more clean headroom than you'll ever need.

Yes you can get a high watt solid state amp but they don't sound anywhere near as great as tube amps imo and the best one's like Roland Blues Stage and Artist aren't any cheaper than tube amps in Aust.

If you use overdrive or distortion then a low wattage tube amp with 2 great channels, reverb, wattage options and a loop is the best option for most modern players imo. They have acceptable weight, cost far less, are versatile and pedal friendly in a volume range you can actually use.

Enjoy your Peavey and discover it's value :)

11. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    thank you sir.

i was never into amps nor pedals. I was more into Guitars. At one point i had 7, had 5 pedals just bare necessities like delay, od and tuner, and just a crappy 20 dollar behringer 10w practice amp. I know 90% of the tone is from the amp but i just love guitars more. Lol.

then i started playing out and i figured I should buy at least a decent amp but i never cared for tube amps so i just bought what Ss amps I can afford (Vox AD50VT, Peavey Bandit, Fender Frontman 65R, etc). Mainly bec of the price. So yeah. But now i kind of wanted something decent again but im just at the wrong time to buy.

im actually okay to spend this much on a new boss katana but only until im all out of options. Then these deals started happening so instead of hesitating, i jumped in feet first as im desperate and now i can choose between two which will serve my needs and recoup back what i spent by selling the other. Its not everyday I can buy a Peavey Classic 30 cheaper than a Boss Katana. Hehehe.

new6659 and Ricochet like this.
  12. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    valueable advices sir! I will keep this in mind.

and yes sir, I will enjoy my Peavey! Im stoked that I can finally relate when people talk about it.

the glowing bottles at the back and when people say its loud, its REALLY LOUD!

Waxhead likes this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
  14. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    thank you sir!

it actually gets the most use now. Its fairly new to me so I’m putting it through its paces. I grab my AVRi from time to time though.

its perfect because I have new amps I can put these two teles through and discover tones and enjoy tubes cooking.

it may be hard for me to go back to SS for now, i’m getting spoiled by the warm lively tones I’m getting! Heheh

hcsterg and T Bone like this.
  15. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Asked earlier in the thread, but maybe you missed it. Does the Vox have an attenuator switch? My 10" and 8" speaker versions of this amp are switchable from 4 watts to 1 watt to ¼ watt. Just wondering if they made a version without, I've never seen one.

16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Very sweet pair congrats!

17. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Do you get any use for 1/4 watt thru an 8" speaker ?

19. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Yes, when I had a roommate I did. Bought the 8" after the 10", for a little less volume. Then they came out with the Mini (6½ inch speaker, 4w, 1w and ¹/¹⁰ w settings) and I bought that. I travel with the Mini often when I'll be staying in a hotel. I get a nice crunchy sound at very low volume, never had an issue in a hotel yet.

Waxhead likes this.
  20. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sorry @T Bone

Yessir, it has a built in attenuator.. 4w, 1w, 1/4w.. 10" speaker.. its quite loud!

T Bone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice