Getting Desperate then BOOM - New Amp Day X 2!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by dreamingGretsch, Nov 10, 2019.

1. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    So I did ask the pros about amps for gigs, and solid state for cleans.. (First post in the thread below and you'll get the idea)

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/anybody-gig-with-solid-state-amps-or-lower-watt-tube-amps-that-doesnt-break-up.985147/

So I FINALLY decided to get a Solid State amp. It was the only thing I can afford. I went out and was ready to spend some serious money, so I loaded my wallet with a 100 dollar bill.

First stop was my favorite Pawnshop, (where I found my Avri62 - thread here - http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/ngd-62-avri-custom-telecaster-pawnshop-find.194454/

I always see Peaveys there, Envoys, Studio Pros, Bandits, Roland Cubes, etc etc... I wanted to get at least a Red Stripe Studio Pro or a Bandit. If I see one of these, I can go home happy. If there’s none, I’m going to the nearest Fender dealer store and try out the new Fender Champion 50XL and Fender Champion 40.

But there were no Peavey’s to be found!!! No decent solid state amps. But there were expensive tube amps, like a Marshall head, an Orange rockerverb 50 and a few obscure Australian tube amps from the 60’s, and a few Solid state Crates, a GT Mustang III and a few other amps. They’re all priced higher than what I want to spend so I didnt bother.

Heart broken and desperate, I need to come home with an amp, my gig is on the 17th. i began to scour every inch of the pawnshop and saw this, hidden in one of the shelves, covered by a boss multieffects pedal, dusty but in excellent condition. You wont actually see it if you didnt really look for it. An AC4TV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the price was, guess... 100USD (150AUD) i couldnt believe it. I have a tube amp but not in the output watts that id want for cleans, but for the money I have, I’ll take it home and try it maybe and see if I can use it and get some useable cleans since we’re gonna be MIC’ed up anyway. It might probably sound good with my set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went home, cleaned it up and played it 30 mins straight, trying to find what is wrong with it. None. But well, what do you know.... The tone is just warm, loud, vibrant, in short, AMAZING. I love it! Its not my first time to use a tube amp, but its my first time to own a tube amp and that added to the excitement of playing and listening to the tones this little box produces. Love the tones with the volume at noon! Cleanish with a hint of gain! All i have are teles with low output 60’s pickups so the little amp was not pushed to break up, but i have never cranked a tube amp, so with a smirk, i cranked it. I think volume dimed is where this amp is at!! Too loud for home use though!!!

35mins in, I knew i wont be able to get the clean tone I want from this amp, but i feel like, maybe I can try and gig with it, just not use my heavier dirty pedals in front of it and I think i might be able to gig with it.

2. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I was about to set up my pedals and rock with a complete rig to see how it will sound with my gain stages when I received an alert from a local classifieds website on new listings that contained “Peavey” in the ad. I still wanted a loud Solid State Peavey to gig with so I’m still eager to buy another amp.

I checked it, and got surprised that a Peavey Classic 30 was listed for 200 USD (300AUD). You have to understand, Valve tube amps here in Australia costs an arm, leg and a liver. A used Peavey Classic 30 goes for 350-400 USD (500-600 AUD), so imagine my surprise! I cannot afford the cheaper tube amps like a used Super Champ XD/X2, and Pro Juniors, let alone a Peavey Classic 30! In the Australian market a used BJr III goes for around 400-500 USD (600-700AUD), which costs more than the Peavey Classic 30.

[​IMG]

The tubes were changed to JJ EL84’s and JJ 12AX7’s by a well renowned amp tech/maker here in Melbourne, Lucas Miles (seriously check out his amps in youtube), as the owner wants to get a smoother dirt channel and the seller has the invoices of the work done around 2015. Its been 4 years since then, do you think its due for another re-tubing and servicing???

[​IMG]

So I called him right away and he told me there’s someone who got to him first but havent responded yet and he gave him until 6pm to respond and if he didnt, its mine. The seller is a senior and seem to be a good man. So I told him, to update me if it didnt push through.

Later that day, seller got back to me and told me the amp is mine and he can deliver to me. I was genuinely surprised about everything. I said yes, sent him half of the price as a deposit and to take the ad down and I’ll pay him the remainder of the cash when he gets to me. At this point I was thinking of moving it on for the same price if I dont like it, i can easily get my money back and continue the search. But its tubes for the price of a higher end solid state!!! I already know I’m gonna keep it LOL!

So now, I have a tube amp with the headroom I want to get the cleans I want. I cant believe it! I may have been quite lucky to get two amps, for less than the price of a used BJr.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This amp is LOUD!!! when mic’ed, I may not be able to turn the volume past 3-4! Which will give me a good headroom for my overdrive pedals.

Now I cant decide which one I like better!! Seriously though, and i know y’all are not going to agree, but I can only keep one. Money is tight at the moment and I know that its just small money but a 100 is still a 100 and can buy my family some groceries and nappies for my bub. So I will sell the Vox AC4TV, despite being a fun amp, I need the headroom of the Peavey Classic 30. I havent had any time to bond with the AC4 so I cant really say I have grew attached to it, so I’m moving it on before that happens! LOL

And now I finally I have my first (or maybe second) tube amp!! After playing countless years with SS amps, while occasionally borrowing tube amps, I thought I will never be able to own or afford my own tube amp. Its not Fender blackface cleans, or not a Fender Twin, but beggars cant be choosers and I think the cleans are great, and enough for what I want to use it for. Selling the AC4 will recoup about half of what I spent for both, and for that money, I can only buy a used Fender Frontman 65R or a Boss Katana 50 in my local classifieds, and Im even hesitant to part with that money for those amps!

[​IMG]

I’ll use this and see how I like it, hear how it sounds in my gigs while saving money on the side so when I decide to sell this, I’ll have money on top to get a Fender tube amp. Or maybe I’ll keep it forever! Who knows!

How did I do good sirs?

gtttrrr, loudnlousy, KuKuKu and 5 others like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Great deals, congrats. I think you have all the amp you'll likely ever need in that peavey. No need to lust after a Fender. If you can keep the vox, do it but if you need the bread it sounds like you might even make a couple bucks toward the Peavey...making that deal even sweeter.

pmac11 likes this.
  4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    You did great my Aussie friend. The Classic 30s are great little amps with a Tele. They have a huge fan following and a solid reputation for reliability. Plenty loud for gigging too.

Well done!

5. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you sir,

I really wish I can keep the Vox, it sounds great and my wife doesnt roll her eyes when I plug in and pretend Im a rockstar at 1/4W setting.

I will flip the Vox and maybe add a couple of bucks as "finders fee" LOL.. and like you said, put towards the Peavey..

all in all, if I sold the Vox, the money spent for the Peavey minus the Vox sale will only get me a Boss Katana or a Fender Frontman 65R at the very least..

6. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you sir,

Although I havent gig'ed with it, I'm finding the clean tones work for me.. its not Fender Blackface cleans I'm longing for, but its certainly clean for my pedal platform and how I want to use it for!

Volume at 1-2 is useable at home.. 3-4 is gigging time Mic'ed.

7. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Way to go!!! you did Awesome!!!
    keep em both !

8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    You did exceptionally well!!! Great work...two fine amps.

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Wonderful news , good on you brother

10. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you sir! I will try to keep both.. need to convince the wife! LOL

Charlie westside likes this.
  11. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you good sirs.

thunder58 likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do believe I am a little jealous! Nice scores!

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    you done good in the end mate :)
    That Peavey was a great buy and better than a Fender Blues Jnr imo.

I was a bit worried for ya when you got that little AC4.
    It's an ok bedroom amp for cleans only but not a gigging amp.
    Even mic'ed it would only work at very small venues and you can't expect to be mic'ed at every gig. Plus with that little speaker it sounds real boxy imo

You're cookin with gas with the Peavey :)
    Tubes only need replacing when they blow.
    I've had the same tubes in some amps for 10 yrs and sold them on still sounding great.

No servicing or tube changing required unless it's got a problem.
    I've never had issues with any of my tube amps - they've been more reliable than than my SS amps actually. I've changed tubes sometimes just to experiment with different tube brands

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The biggest problem with that littel AC4 is the tiny speaker a 12" cab makes a big difference, it can be a fun little amp. But the Classic 30 and 50 are two I have always wanted but passed on for my triple xxx's, hey a guy has to have priorities and those amps just do it for me! I chased and eBay classic 50 head and 2x12 cab once, got to my limit then watched as it sold for three times what I was willing to pay and at least twice what I thought it would get. Throw some tube tamers of some sort on the classic 30, little silicone ring that sits over the top. It looks like it already has retainers the rings help dampen any microphonics but you may not need them, that issue isn't universal.

Edit, that Classic 30 is a keeper I think you will love it. Now save for Mystery Brain or EL Pescadora! Or any used brain you can get your hands on!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Waxhead likes this.
  15. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Family first, move the Vox along. There may come a time when you can roll the Peavey and some cash into the Fender amp . ;)

16. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Lol. Each one has it's own function....
    hint, hint!!! ;)

dreamingGretsch likes this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Great score. I actually LOVE those amps, though I never bought one.......there was a moment in a music store where a Classic 30 offered up the best drive sound I’d had. Funny you want it for cleans. :) ENJOY.

18. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you sir! one thing though is if it was priced a little higher, I know it would still be a deal for other people, but not me, I wouldnt be able to afford it.

Bertotti likes this.
  19. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you sir!

I got it because of the price, but I dont want to tell myself (IF IT WORKED WITH MY GIG) that I never tried..

I wanted to check out if truly a 4-watt small amp can get cleans and be mic'ed at least im just out 150 AUD, so its not bad.. but I can flip it for the same cash to put towards the Peavey and the Peavey will look like a steal.

The AC4 sounds really good at bedroom tv levels, but I practice with my iRig through my iPad because I have a 1 y/o bub.. I can only practice when they're all asleep, so I cant really use an amp, or if I do, its just so troublesome to plug in, set this, set that, get my headphones, etc etc.. at least with my iPad, during summer nights, I can go outside the patio and rock out without disturbing anyone! LOL

I will keep in mind the servicing part.. its in pretty good condition for its age.. the previous owner had it for many years, possibly even bought new.. he said after the tube replacement his gigs died down a bit and only been out for a few gigs.. and he just recently switched to Helix Stomp and left the C30 at home..

a few gigs - I dont know exactly how much since the last 4 years..

switched to helix recently - I dont know how recent.

Waxhead likes this.
  20. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm planning to take it to my gig on the 17th and see how it goes.. I really want Fender cleans, and a part of me wished that I have a Fender tube amp as my first tube amp, but Im not ungrateful for what I have.. this is all I can afford and I will use it and see if it works.. I give my gears a bit of time before saying I did everything and still couldnt make it work, so Im gonna this amp some time, possibly until the end of the year, then decide if I want to move it along and get a Fender tube amp for those BF cleans.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice