Getting Certificate Errors When Viewing Forum on Android Phone

Discussion in 'Forum Issues, Problems, & Concerns' started by Gretschman2, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    For the last week or so I've started getting multiple "Certificate Error" pop-ups on my Android smartphone whenever I try to view the forum. I'm running Android version 6.0.1 plus "Lookout" security which I assume is finding and creating the error messages. I never had this problem before when viewing with the phone and I don't get these messages when viewing with my Windows 10 laptop with "Mcafee" security which I assume would create similar pop-up messages if the certificates are actually bad. I think the certificates at issue are various ones associated with advertising sites displayed on the forum page/s.

Have you received reports of this by any other forum members? Do you have any suggestions to help remedy this aggravating issue?

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Say whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

3. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    My apologies for the confusion. The original post was intended for the forum administrators. The certificates I'm referring to are the security certificates that websites maintain verifying that they're safe. If not determined to be safe your browser and/or virus security software will give you a security certificate pop-up warning. I'm not a computer engineer so I did my best to try and explain as best I could.

4. Gretsch-Talk

Gretsch-Talk Administrator Staff Member

May 26, 2008
    Hill Country, TX
    Admin Post
    The problem is with the software you are choosing to employ that is not providing accurate information. There is nothing that we can do to correct this defect in your chosen software.

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 11.28.56 PM.png

Aymara likes this.
  5. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Are you suggesting that the particular browser or virus protection that my phone employs may be the cause? If so, didn't do it until just recently, so makes me wonder why all of a sudden? I viewed the details of some of the errors and they appear to be related to attached advertisement sites as opposed to the primary forum site. My phone also has a Chrome browser which I've never used. I'll try opening the site with it and see what happens and report back. Thanks for the quick response nonetheless.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    That is one of the reasons why I banned Android completely in my household. Google's update politics are just a mess and malware is a huge problem nowadays, that no virus scanner can always "fix". Google for the Pegasus malware and you might understand, what I mean. Apple fixed it in 14 days, Google need 3 months and only Nexus devices get the update.

The reason for the described certificate errors seems to be, that the Commodo root certificate is missing in the OS's certificate store and these usually get updated by OS updates ... Microsoft and Apple do that regularly, but with Android the problem is, that only Nexus devices get regular updates and vendors like Samsung usually only release one Android update per device and such vendor updates often lead to massive performance issues.

iOS devices on the other hand get updates for at least 4 years!

7. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA

Thank you for your input Aymara. Interestingly, when using the Chrome browser on my phone I was no longer getting safety certificate errors. But after reviewing what you said, I did a little research and found some info on-line saying that Chrome chooses not to even check safety certificates, hence the reason for no error pop-ups when using it, and that Firefox does and stays current too. Accordingly, I just installed Firefox on my cell and will see how that does. I use Firefox on my Windows 10 laptop and probably explains why I wasn't getting errors when viewing the forum on it. Oh, what a web we weave when it comes to the cyber-world.

Anyway, thought I'd post where I'm at on this in case anyone else runs into the problem I did. If it helps just one other person, it will be worth it in my book.

Cheers to all !!

8. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Firefox shows no errors, because it has it's own certificate store and doesn't use the one of the OS ... at least on Windows, and regarding your report, on Android too. And it seems, that it is more up to date, than Android's cert store.

So it seems, you found a nice workaround for this problem, but the high security risk of Android itself remains ;)

9. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I wish I knew as much about all this stuff as you do, but I'm just an average user. One thing I avoid doing though with my Android device is financials, I do that only with my home Windows based computer over a secured network. Plus, I never let my home computer save and store my passwords either. So far, so far so good thank goodness. Thanks again.

10. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Even that is extremely risky, because trojans exist, that track everything you type on your keyboard. Windows 10 does that by design, so Microsoft knows all your passwords, no matter if you save them or not. And now imagine, if this "feature" gets hacked by the wrong people.

The only relatively safe online banking is using a USB card reader and numbers keyboard. Ask your bank about it ;) and so called two factor authentication, which is the cheaper and more modern alternative. A good bank should be able to tell you details.

Fact is, I myself would never ever do normal online banking, no matter with which device, be it a Windows PC, a Mac or smartphone.

Some people might say, I should take off my tinfoil hat, but the time might come, where I'll say: I told you so.

Google about "online banking security" and you might think different very fast.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice