Germanium Fuzz

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by blueridgeguy, Jul 9, 2016.

1. blueridgeguy

blueridgeguy Gretschie

Jul 12, 2015
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    One of my recent pedal acquisitions has been a 9 volt germanium fuzz pedal. I bought this one from a small builder off Reverb and I'm really enjoying it. I'm new to the wonders of fuzz pedals and the joys of germanium tone. Does anyone else have tales of joy or woe to share about their fuzz pedals?

geomac.png

Here are some quick samples of the new pedal, one with a little and one with a lot of fuzz.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    That sounds great, a good germanium fuzz isnt the easiest to get right!
    I like my fuzzes colored w a raspy edge, so I prefer silicon transistors. I use the Seltzerado and fuzz ray. Before this, I relied on the Zvex Fuzz Factory and a Fulltone Soulbender.

nickurso, Outlaw and blueridgeguy like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Man! Thats sinister lookin, i love some cheezy, biker fuzz. Silicone for me too

blueridgeguy likes this.
  4. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I have a fuzz brain, a musket fuzz but I have to say this fuzz Ray is my favorite image.jpeg

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Some of my DIY'ed or modified Fuzz pedals :

The Doctor Fuzz (Si), built in the mid 90's. More a high gain MXR D+ than a fuzz...
    [​IMG]

The Double Tone-Bender (Ge) : the Pro MKII and the 3-knobs MKIII in a same package.
    [​IMG]

A flight of 3 Fuzz Face UFO. I only kept the grey one, rebuilt with calibrated 60's NOS parts (Ge).
    [​IMG]

The Univox Super-Fuzz (Ge/Si) : fuzz + octaver + scoop filter. Awful. Predates the metal tone.
    [​IMG]

The Sbrodj Fuzz (Si) : a FY-2 Companion Fuzz with an extra output stage to correct level.
    [​IMG]

The FoXX Tone Machine (Si) : a "blizzard of nails" kind of tone, worse than the Super-Fuzz...
    [​IMG]

The FuzzRite compact standalone (Si) : listen to "The 2000 Pound Bee" by The Ventures...
    [​IMG]

The JEN Fuzz III from early 70's (Si) : trebly disco western spaghetti psychedelic movie tone.
    [​IMG]

The Minuteman Fuzz (Si) : designed in 5 mns, hence the name...
    [​IMG]

The Bap-Tiste Fuzz (si) : a clone of the 1981 Rev. B. ProCo Rat built for a friend's son as a gift.
    [​IMG]

The Melodium Fuzz (Ge) : has a switchable hi-pass filter, for Ennio Morricone tone...
    [​IMG]

Le Savoureux : a modified Muff-Fuzz (Si) in a (cleaned) tuna tin box.
    [​IMG]

Very roughly : Germanium = GRRRRR, Silicium = DZZZZZ kind of sound.

You can hear the tone of some of them on my little, non-commercial website, if you like :D

A+!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    MTurner and blueridgeguy like this.
  6. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Been really enjoying the Earthquaker devices Hoof Fuzz lately. It's a hybrid silicon/Germanium pedal. It get's really mellow or can be totally nasty, volume gets very far past unity so it can push the front end for a cool OD, or filter in the transistors more.

7. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I don't use them a lot, but these sound awesome. The company isn't in business anymore. Basically a Fuzz Face and a Tycobrahe Octavia.

Hartman1.jpg Hartman2.jpg

blueridgeguy likes this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    sheeeze and I was afraid to post my own fuzz pedals. The Seltzerado that I made above is a dialed in vintage Fuzzrite and very american, but the Fuzz Ray is british, although I wanted Lenny Kravitz sound out of it

and Poison Ivy at the same time,

[​IMG]

Nice picture Nick, that I'm sure sounds killer w that tele!
    [​IMG]

I loved that first version w the just the tone switch but it ended up not being versatile enough for me w some of the Black Keys style songs we do occasionally so I put a high treble tone filter on it, w a bypass switch on the latest version. I tend to keep mine rolled back pretty far because the Setzer Sigs on the gretsch guitar have a lot of maple snark to them and it punches through the pedal nicely. (then there was the fuzz brain, confusing I know..it basically got transfered back to the Fuzz Ray, same thing)

https://www.instagram.com/p/42RYMxjO1D/?taken-by=thenocturnebrain

blueridgeguy and nickurso like this.
  9. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Sounds fantastic

10. Outlaw

Outlaw Gretschie

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I think I've just heard my next pedal, awesome!

TV the Wired Turtle and nickurso like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice